• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] WoodBerry Productions

GoboDell

Has anyone ever heard of WoodBerry Productions? I just recieved an e-mail from them that says that they will only read scripts for a $100.00. The name on the e-mail says that Linda Graeme will read my script and I will get feedback. It sounds like a scam to me. Anybody got any info about them?

bentbrains

Scam

In my opinion, it definately stinks of a scam. There are plenty of people out there who are happy to read your script. Check out the Zoetrope virtual studio. Paying someone just to read your work and give you feedback (no matter how great) is such a dodgy way to go. Just because they have "Productions" in their title dosen't mean anything ulness they have the credentials to back it up. Like a list of authors they have helped along the way. People are sifting through the emails here and contacting people in hopes of finding someone desperate enough to pay them. Don't do it!

lydia lovelace

About Woodberry

Linda Graeme of Woodberry Productions read two of my scripts for FREE! Provided valuable feedback for FREE! This was a year and a half ago. Perhaps her policy has since changed. My advice, write a kick-ass query letter and your script will be requested and read for FREE! But if you have money to burn and insist upon paying people to read your script, please send me some:)

rtilryarms

did you

Did you ask them where they got your email address? If they bought it from the spamming contact lists......do you need to know any more about them?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
After more than a year, the only thing I can find in a Google search is this thread and a link to a page on The Market List, which has minimal information.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Woodberry Productions submissions guidelines

"Minimal" is an understatement--it looks like they left a lot of the fill-in form blanks totally blank. There's contact info but nothing informative about what they accept.

Interesting.

Somclss

A Professional.

bentbrains said:
In my opinion, it definately stinks of a scam. There are plenty of people out there who are happy to read your script. Check out the Zoetrope virtual studio. Paying someone just to read your work and give you feedback (no matter how great) is such a dodgy way to go. Just because they have "Productions" in their title dosen't mean anything ulness they have the credentials to back it up. Like a list of authors they have helped along the way. People are sifting through the emails here and contacting people in hopes of finding someone desperate enough to pay them. Don't do it!

Linda Graeme is a professional lady. Using the term 'scam' is a bit dangerous when it thrown out there unfounded. Frankly is echoes with sound of desperation and lack of maturity. Linda is a professional reader with great insight and talent. If you want to have your material read by a pro, it costs.
In case you havn't been there yet, Linda has commitments - Santa Claus only comes on Xmas. So wipe the tinsel town out of you starry eyes and wake up and smell the ink. Screen writing is no game for the dull of wit - it's a business, pure and simple.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Money flows TO the writer. . . whether it's novels, short stories, scripts or anything else.

Who are this "reader's" clients?

What success have they had?

What have they sold?

Are they willing to say "what exactly" this person has done to help them get published?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. . .

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
"Money flows TO the writer"
Aww, c'mon. Check out the article where Yog expounded that principle. (http://www.sff.net/people/yog/). He wasn't arguing that writers shouldn't be paying for paper & computers, or professional services like accountants.

He was talking about 'publishers' asking for money so people can become a 'published' author.

There can be good sense in paying for someone a review of a script - but there is definitely good sense in getting a peer review first - or instead of.

The debate as to whether these services are useful will go on long after we have all returned to dust. If I want someone to spend 4 hours of their life helping me with my work - I can get a friend to do it for nothing, or pay a stranger. That's the way it is with fixing a leaky tap, moving house or painting a room. But the fact that a plumber offers to fix my leaky tap for $80, when I can get a friend to do it for free doesn't make the plumber a scammer.

As mentioned on another thread, Nancy Hendrickson created a ranking of 24 script analysts in the Vol 10 No 2 issue of Creative Screenwriting.

Details are here: http://scriptsales.com/boards/showthread.php?t=7443

The results (in terms of 'Bang for your Buck') are interesting.

Lisa Cory charged $600 - and was 'not recommended'. Michael Ray Brown & Howard Allen charged about $350 - and were 'highly recommended'.

Just like getting a plumber - it's a good idea to ask around for recommendations....

Mac

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Somclss said:
Linda Graeme is a professional lady. Using the term 'scam' is a bit dangerous when it thrown out there unfounded. Frankly is echoes with sound of desperation and lack of maturity. Linda is a professional reader with great insight and talent. If you want to have your material read by a pro, it costs.
In case you havn't been there yet, Linda has commitments - Santa Claus only comes on Xmas. So wipe the tinsel town out of you starry eyes and wake up and smell the ink. Screen writing is no game for the dull of wit - it's a business, pure and simple.
Boys and girls, for those of you who haven't learned this already: be wary of the anonymous poster who shows up for the first time to insult you in defense of a "wonderful" agent/publisher/editor who's being "inexplicably" panned, particularly if the poster's grammar and spelling remind you of a Nigerian business offer received via e-mail.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Boys and girls, for those of you who haven't learned this already: be wary of the anonymous poster who shows up for the first time to insult you in defense of a "wonderful" agent/publisher/editor who's being "inexplicably" panned, particularly if the poster's grammar and spelling remind you of a Nigerian business offer received via e-mail.

Beat me to it - good observation.:banana:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding any mention of her after 2008.