• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Black Lake Publishing

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
"This company started as a join venture between an author with a work and a businessman with a plan."

The publisher made a spelling error on their home page, using the word "join" instead of "joint." This is usually a bad sign. Be cautious.
Good luck.
- fellow AW CL's member :)

ps The phrase "an author with a work" sounds pretty horrid too.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
*gives secret AW CL handshake and slips anis a choco choco chip cooke*

Sorry, no. I'm not planning on using them. I stumbled across them, and their site raised a bunch of red flags for me, esp the part about author costs and how they can print (and they use the word print a alot) one or many copies. I'm wondering if I'm being overly suspicious?

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Appears to be a brand-spanking new self-publishing/vanity venture. Haven't released their first book yet. Enthusiatic, but they sound a bit gormless. Anyone interested in self-publishing could do better by going with a tried and true like Lulu.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://blacklakepublishing.homestead.com/whyus.html

How do we make money, if we don't charge you anything?

We promote and sell your books. We earn a commission off each sell. The majority of the profits is your. You keep over 60% of the profits. Normally, through the larger publishers, which by-the-way, retain nearly 100% of the other rights associated with your work, they also retain for themselves, over 80% of your profits.
Ow, ow, ow!

(Why do I expect a PA book in the founders' past?)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Broken record time: It's a good idea to adopt a "wait and see" approach with any new publisher--at least until it has put several books on the market. Not only does this give you some assurance that the publisher is stable enough to follow through on its publishing promises, it lets you evaluate things like physical quality and how (or whether) the publisher is marketing and distributing its books.

There's a high attrition rate for new small publishers, which often start up with big dreams but little money or expertise. It can be a real nightmare for authors who get caught up in the implosion. I blogged about this issue recently.

Black Lake looks very amateurish to me, for the reasons everyone has identified above--and also because its only published book to date appears to have been published via Lulu. (I checked out the preview; it's pretty bad.) Essentially, Black Lake is just acting as a middleman for something an author could do for him or herself.

- Victoria