The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Black Lake Publishing

Black Lake Publishing

anyone heard anything? they seem like they may be a POD?

http://blacklakepublishing.homestead.com/about.html
    Last edited by Twizzle; 03-07-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    "You're not a schmuck. You're just sort of a schmuck."-Giant Baby 2010

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011

Banned
    "This company started as a join venture between an author with a work and a businessman with a plan."

The publisher made a spelling error on their home page, using the word "join" instead of "joint." This is usually a bad sign. Be cautious.
    Good luck.
    - fellow AW CL's member

ps The phrase "an author with a work" sounds pretty horrid too.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-07-2008 at 05:48 PM.

*gives secret AW CL handshake and slips anis a choco choco chip cooke*

Sorry, no. I'm not planning on using them. I stumbled across them, and their site raised a bunch of red flags for me, esp the part about author costs and how they can print (and they use the word print a alot) one or many copies. I'm wondering if I'm being overly suspicious?
    Last edited by Twizzle; 03-07-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    "You're not a schmuck. You're just sort of a schmuck."-Giant Baby 2010

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011

Banned
    Yummy. Thanks
    (I think you are being over-wise.)

Appears to be a brand-spanking new self-publishing/vanity venture. Haven't released their first book yet. Enthusiatic, but they sound a bit gormless. Anyone interested in self-publishing could do better by going with a tried and true like Lulu.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://blacklakepublishing.homestead.com/whyus.html

How do we make money, if we don't charge you anything?

We promote and sell your books. We earn a commission off each sell. The majority of the profits is your. You keep over 60% of the profits. Normally, through the larger publishers, which by-the-way, retain nearly 100% of the other rights associated with your work, they also retain for themselves, over 80% of your profits.
    Ow, ow, ow!

(Why do I expect a PA book in the founders' past?)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Broken record time: It's a good idea to adopt a "wait and see" approach with any new publisher--at least until it has put several books on the market. Not only does this give you some assurance that the publisher is stable enough to follow through on its publishing promises, it lets you evaluate things like physical quality and how (or whether) the publisher is marketing and distributing its books.

There's a high attrition rate for new small publishers, which often start up with big dreams but little money or expertise. It can be a real nightmare for authors who get caught up in the implosion. I blogged about this issue recently.

Black Lake looks very amateurish to me, for the reasons everyone has identified above--and also because its only published book to date appears to have been published via Lulu. (I checked out the preview; it's pretty bad.) Essentially, Black Lake is just acting as a middleman for something an author could do for him or herself.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://blacklakepublishing.homestead.com/

One more book pubbed in 2008--same author--none since.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: