I've got a little problem with my guitar...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so enjoying playing it and have definitely become more than a beginner on it, but I am upset to see that somehow it has a nick on it on the top part of the neck. Is there a way I can fix it so it doesn't show up? I hate that it's there... Many thanks for any suggestions. Happy playing.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, say it ain't so, love interest of my new novel! Is it a small scratch or a good sized gouge?

Do you know how long it takes us guys to get our axes banged up (I said 'axes banged up' so don't get excited) enough to feel comfortable?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Luthiers are wizards. Most big music stores have a Luthier on staff. He's usually the squirly guy shoved into a back closet somewhere. Take your guitar to a store and ask if they can fix it. They can usually just put some epoxy and stain on nicks, especially on the neck and fix them up. But like BFT said, some musicians like nicks and dings on their guitars - it gives them character.

(btw, moving this thread from Muisc Lab to the general Music forum)

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Oh, I didn't know that, III, because I have a thumb-nail sized chunk of finish knocked off the horn of my SG when my son knocked it over.

I wonder if they can match plum?

A good lutier can work magic. My kids knocked over my Gibson SG and the back of the neck cracked all the way across towards the bottom. I thought the guitar was completely ruined, but they were able to re-set it and glue it good as new. They just fixed my buddy's acoustic that I swore was beyond repair after falling down a flight of stairs. You'll probably pay like $40 - $60 for basic repairs unless you find a really cool luthier who likes to just do small fixes for free. I had a great luthier in Sacramento named Gary Cooper who, unfortunately passed away from cancer a few years ago.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That first ding is always enough to give you heart palpitations. After a while, though, the marks start to give the git some character. Shows it's lived a little. I have a big wear spot on the back of my Melody Maker where it rubbed up against all the belt buckles I wore when on the road. When I first realized there was some damage there, I moved the buckle to the side when playing, but over the years it grew anyway and I decided to leave it.

Here's someone with a guitar that has a bit of wear and tear on it:

zappa.jpg

That's Frank Zappa with a Stratocaster Jimi Hendrix burned. He replaced the damaged electronics and other hardware so that it was playable again, but left the body the way it was. Effing cool axe, that. :)

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks much, guys. I will take it to a Luthier if we can find one where I live. Aww, I still luv that I'm the new love interest in your novel, Blunt.:) Just a tad of a nick, but it seems like a big nick to me... The first is always the saddest. Much appreciation. Thanks for moving it, III. I wasn't sure where it should go.