Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Books & Such Literary Agency

  1. #26
    nom.nom.nom.nom nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by sharla View Post
    Sent a query to Wendy Lawton today, and received an automated message telling me that they only respond if they want more so if I haven't heard in 30 days, they've decided to pass.

    That's okay, at least that's something other than crickets chirping!! LOL
    Oooooh, right, 30 days. I guess that's a no for me. Bummer.

    Best wishes on your search!

  2. #27
    Chin up. sarahfru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by sharla View Post
    Sent a query to Wendy Lawton today, and received an automated message telling me that they only respond if they want more so if I haven't heard in 30 days, they've decided to pass.

    That's okay, at least that's something other than crickets chirping!! LOL
    Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was an automated form-letter rejection!

  3. #28
    practical experience, FTW ether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    851
    Queried Rachel on 9/4, so I have a little bit of a wait before closing it out.
    Kelley
    (author) www.kelley-york.com | (cover artist) www.x-potion.net

  4. #29
    USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,226
    Any new information about Rachel Kent and Books and Such? Because I have such awesome notes, I have her down as someone to query . . . but I'm querying an adult vampire novel and she looks like she's a YA-ish agent and the agency looks like it's slanted towards romance and christian books. Anyone know if there was an urban fantasy buzz about her/them? Thanks - Jamie

  5. #30
    Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Posts
    3,871
    The thirty day mark came and went for my submission, so I'm taking that as a "no thanks."
    Cameron Bane

    PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

    www.cameronbanebooks.com



  6. #31
    Summer AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Non carborundum illegitimi
    Posts
    36,016
    Sorry, John. *hugs*

  7. #32
    Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Posts
    3,871
    Eh, maybe somebody will like it. I hope.
    Cameron Bane

    PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

    www.cameronbanebooks.com



  8. #33
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
    Any new information about Rachel Kent and Books and Such? Because I have such awesome notes, I have her down as someone to query . . . but I'm querying an adult vampire novel and she looks like she's a YA-ish agent and the agency looks like it's slanted towards romance and christian books. Anyone know if there was an urban fantasy buzz about her/them? Thanks - Jamie
    The agency is definitely slanted toward Christian books. Rachel isn't strictly YA, but she does represent writers with a youthful voice (if that makes sense). She might be open to urban fantasy, but it would probably need to have a fairly conservative and/or Christian tone.

  9. #34
    That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa Chaos
    Posts
    2,376
    Books and Such is very well respected in the Christian fic market. If Ms. Kent has joined the agency, and likes to get queried for YA fiction, I'd be willing to bet she isn't limited to that genre alone. Reason: there's a scarcity of large Christian houses that publish in the YA market. So I'd feel it's at least a 70% safe bet to query Ms. Kent on anything in this spectrum that you'd like to pitch to her.
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

    An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

  10. #35
    practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    352
    Sent a proposal to Ms. Kent on 2/5 after meeting her in last year's ACFW Conference. Will keep you posted on response time.
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

  11. #36
    practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    352
    Well, Ms. Kent just responded (almost 6 months later) to my three chapters. She passed, but I had already sold the book back in May!!! I thought meeting agents at conferences would mean a faster response time, but I was wrong. Happy I sold it! :-)

    "I really like your story, but I don't think it's the perfect fit for my representation at this time." --Your standard form response.
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

  12. #37
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JohannaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    34
    Queried on 5/31/14 - no response yet.

  13. #38
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,060
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

  14. #39
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    119
    Per Publisher's Lunch, writer Cynthia Ruchti will join Books & Such Literary Management as an agent.

  15. #40
    That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa Chaos
    Posts
    2,376
    Cindy Ruchti is a very fine writer, has a great sense of humor, is romance-friendly, and...

    Wonder if the writing thing didn't work out for her? The Christian market is tightening down, not that it wasn't tighter than a Scottish great-uncle already. Maybe the publishers are accepting one out of ten thousand books nowadays instead of one out of a thousand.
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

    An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    Cindy Ruchti is a very fine writer, has a great sense of humor, is romance-friendly, and...

    Wonder if the writing thing didn't work out for her? The Christian market is tightening down, not that it wasn't tighter than a Scottish great-uncle already. Maybe the publishers are accepting one out of ten thousand books nowadays instead of one out of a thousand.
    There are quite a few authors who double as agents. I don't think this has to mean that she's given up her writing.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

    www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

  17. #42
    That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Casa Chaos
    Posts
    2,376
    No, probably not. I'm merely speculating. The C-fic market is insanely tight, with some major names now going direct-to-reader. One could wonder all kinds of things, and know nothing at all except what I read online.

    My first agent was/is a writer who went into agenting and gave it up about two years later, after gaining publication contracts only for her own work and maybe 2-3 others. She never sold word one of mine after two years of the association. My second agent, who also sold nothing at all for me after three years, also writes in this same market. Seems kind of a conflict of interest -- if she hears of a need of XYZ Publishing, and they want a novel similar to books we both have written, whose work do you think she might pitch? Human nature alone dictates the answer.
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

    An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb Kinnard View Post
    No, probably not. I'm merely speculating. The C-fic market is insanely tight, with some major names now going direct-to-reader. One could wonder all kinds of things, and know nothing at all except what I read online.

    My first agent was/is a writer who went into agenting and gave it up about two years later, after gaining publication contracts only for her own work and maybe 2-3 others. She never sold word one of mine after two years of the association. My second agent, who also sold nothing at all for me after three years, also writes in this same market. Seems kind of a conflict of interest -- if she hears of a need of XYZ Publishing, and they want a novel similar to books we both have written, whose work do you think she might pitch? Human nature alone dictates the answer.
    Fair points.
    THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, May 2015)
    DON'T VOTE FOR ME (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, August 2015)
    DON'T SOLVE THE PUZZLE (Bloomsbury Children's, Winter 2019)

    www.kristavandolzer.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search