• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rook Publishing

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Anyone heard of Rook Publishing (Clarksville, TN)? I haven't found much on the web. I submitted a poem in response to a solicitation (I don't recall where) indicating that payment would be one copy of the anthology.

I've received an acceptance letter, which does not ask me to buy any anthologies, but it also does not mention payment anywhere. It makes it clear that I retain the rights. It is typewritten on stationary, rather than computer generated. There is a section entitled "Additional provisions, if any" where I could potentially write in "Publisher will pay poet at least one free copy of the anthology."

There is no e-mail address or website, only a phone number.

Since this poem has been previously published, and in a sense "used up", I don't at all mind it being printed in an anthology in exchange for one copy, but of course I don't want to bother with this acceptance form if it turns out to be yet another anthology scam.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Typewriters

I have a typewriter...I bought it a couple of years ago when my husband was filling out tons of application forms for a new job...it's still the only way to type applications, unless you have scanning software, and you scan, reconfigure what didn't quite scan, add text boxes to type in the lines, etc...it ended up being much quicker just to type them!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I guess no one has heard of them. I added terms to the contract that the publisher must pay me at least one contributor's copy of the book, or permission to publish would not be granted, and I mailed it in. I'll let you know if they solicit me to buy anthologies and if it seems a typical anthology scam or a legitimate publication.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us abreast of whatever the situation turns out to be.

Maryn

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Vomaxx said:
I don't think that "Rook" is a very good choice for a name, considering what the word means as a verb..... ;)

Yeah, I was thinking about that...

reywaldoog

Rook Publishing Background Check

I realize this is an old thread but tonight I met a gentleman who said he was with Rook Publishers here in Clarksville, Tennessee. I got his business card. He does not have a website, or e-mail...not that means everything. His business card states he does publishing world wide. Hope this helps.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, it only helps if we have the gentleman's name to help with the search, since there's no Rook Publishers/Publishing licensed to do business in the State of Tennessee.

aleeireland

Follow-Up

Was just wondering how things went with Rook Publishing. I once submitted a manuscript to them and never heard back. I can't find them on the web but I do have a phone number (called a few times but no one answered or returned my calls). Do they publish a magazine or only books of poetry? Is it only rhyming poetry that they consider?

Mariah

Hello! I was just googling Rook Publishing and I found this website, and I read what you wrote.
Rook Publishing does seem odd to me. Last year I was singing at the riverfest and a guy came up to me and handed me his card and said he would like me to record some country songs with his company, and asked me to call him.
When I called I could never get ahold of anyone.
So, if anyone hears anymore please tell me.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I realize this is an old thread but tonight I met a gentleman who said he was with Rook Publishers here in Clarksville, Tennessee. I got his business card. He does not have a website, or e-mail...not that means everything. His business card states he does publishing world wide. Hope this helps.

Wasn't that Mister Haney? Was the ink on the card still wet?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No need to advertise (least of all to readers), since there's no shortage of aspiring poets who are, um, unconcerned with how their poetry gets printed. Example

I find nothing to suggest that a poet would benefit from being Rooked.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
w00t! I found a name: Edgar A. Lawson.

'Course, neither he nor Rook has published anything since 2006, but 'twas a loose end I had to tie. :hat: