poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
healey-obit-cp-4450265.jpg

Rock and jazz musician Jeff Healey died Sunday in a Toronto hospital after a battle with cancer, his publicist said.

He was 41.

Healey lost his sight at age one as a result of Retinoblastoma, a rare form of retinal cancer.

Due to his blindness, Healey taught himself to play guitar with the instrument held across his lap while seated.

His unique playing style, combined with his blues-oriented vocals, earned him a reputation as a teenage musical prodigy. He shared stages with George Harrison, B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2008/03/02/obit-healey.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBBCJ68mC4c

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Own his first two CDs. Loved his cameo in "Roadhouse."

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read this in the paper this morning and had a moment of silence for Jeff. He was a wonderful musician, whose talent knew no bounds, and beautiful person.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
A lot of people didn't realize how sick he was. It was a complete surprise to me. One of our local radio stations is closely affiliated with his nightclub in Toronto.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Aw man. Jeff was fantastic. I still don't see how he was able to play and bend with such strength while playing the guitar flat. I tried it several times after watching him in the late 80's and never got it to sound better than a cat walking across the guitar neck. Great voice too. RIP Jeff with your Angel Eyes.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I had the great fortune to be in a club in Ottawa where what was advertised as a launch party for Jeff Healey's first album See the Light was held. (The CD was released about a year after this particular gig, so I think the advertising was a tad premature). I didn't know who he was but we figured what the heck, let's check it out.

I was also unaware of his blindness and unusual technique until he took the stage and sat down and started strumming with his strat on his lap ... by the end of the first song, I knew I'd never forget him. The man was phenomenal. I was dumbfounded by not only how strange his technique was, but by what a bitchin' blues-rock guitarist he was.

So long, Jeff. I'm glad your suffering is at an end. Thanks for an amazing evening all those years ago, and for all the time spent since then listening to you play. As a fellow guitarist, I am and will forever be your humble servant.