Cross collateralization - a deal breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a negotiating a publishing contract for a non-fiction/technical book with a major publisher. It's my first book deal. I've run the contract by an attorney who specializes in publishing, reviewed everything that's skewed in the publisher's favor, and decided that one of the things I'm uncomfortable with is the cross collateralization. I've done some tech editing for this publisher for a colleague who has written one successful book for them and another that didn't do so well. I think that I stand a fair chance of having an opportunity to write another book for this publisher. It's a niche area, but even so, my particular topic is underrepresented, so there's clear interest from the publisher to fill this gap in their catalog and in the subject area as a whole. For the last several years, I've taught this subject in a Jr. College setting and have been unable to find what I felt was a suitable text on which to base the class. In other words, I think I could shop this book to another publisher if I wanted to go to the trouble.

Can anyone comment on how often cross collateralization is a part of the final contract after negotiating with a publisher on a non-fiction/tech book? Is this, more often than not, a non-negotiable item for publishers?

I've been asked if this is a "deal breaker" issue for me.

thanks, j

JayMack

Registered
Reaction score
True. One book --for now. But I've been advised to eliminate CC sooner rather than later if I think I might have further opportunities with this publisher. The CC would tie together any future work for this publisher.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.