Kensington said no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Ms. Julian,
Thank you for sending Luke, Resurrection of a Vampire. After having read it, I'm afraid I will be passing. I was intrigued by the concept of this book and I thought the cloning was a nice twist on Luke's desire to become mortal again, which is what mainly attracted me to the project. I found the writing to be quite good and the atmospheric mood appropriate. However, I was disappointed with how the story progressed. I didn't think the flashbacks were as interesting and complex as the present-day narrative, and I didn't feel there was enough from Luke's point of view showing how he felt about being (and no longer wanting to be) a vampire. Also I thought that the cloning aspect became a little confusing and unbelievable when Rebecca transferred her memories into the cloned body.

But thanks again for the look and best of luck with your writing.

XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Editor in Chief
Kensington Publishing Corp.

I am sad about the "no" but happy to get such a detailed rejection letter. Yes, I can tell he was confused about Rebecca's role in the story because she did not transfer her memories into a clone. Nonetheless, he's given me a lot to think about and I will be doing a few revisions and clarifying some important aspects of the story. All in all, even though he didn't feel he could offer a contract, I'm kind of proud of this rejection letter, it's a hell of a lot better than some of the "Dear Occupant" rejections I've received in the past.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Is it too weird to say "sorry" and "congrats" at the same time?

Sorry about the rejection, but how cool to have gotten such a detailed rejection, so congrats on that!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
That is an excellent and thoughtful rejection, if rejection can ever BE excellent.:) They've given you a lot of information, far more than most publishers provide. Revising is always easier when you know the weak points. Good luck on your next round of submissions!
Linnea

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, but that's a wonderful rejection! Celebrate and console yourself with a bit of chocolate. :)

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Tartar sauce. Sorry to hear about the rejection, but at least the editor had some great things to say about your ms. Don't give up!

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. (Yum, chocolate...I'm suppose to be dieting!)

Rejection sucks, but the nice things said in the letter soothed the sting a little and now I know where my weak points are and can work on them.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Saundra do not usually jump in on these threads but lurkipate ofte-the beautiful thing about that is that the next agent may just write you an acceptance letter stating that they loved it for exactly the reasons that this one did not-just reverse the letter

I loved with how the story progressed. I thought the flashbacks were as interesting and complex as the present-day narrative, and I felt the stuff involving Luke's point of view showing how he felt about being (and no longer wanting to be) a vampire was terrific and spot on. Also I thought that the cloning aspect totally viable and believable when Rebecca transferred her memories into the cloned body.

So that might be the next one-often is. This is also not to say that you cannot in fact improve on the wip regarding these suggestions which I think are unusual-really atypical of most agents-you probably have something terrific here and worth working on-not trying to make you feel better-just sharing my own elderly eggsperience-Dave

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Saundra. I'm glad you got such a detailed rejection though. Gives you something to work with.
hugs

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
What's worse, a form or a detailed rejection? I'm not sure how I'd take a detailed rejection.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry about the rejection Saundra, but they gave you wonderful information on what they thought was wrong. Rejections always suck but getting such a detailed response is great. I hope the next agent/publisher loves it. Best wishes.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Sigh. A rejection on a full is tough because it's such a hopeful situation to be in! Aargh! I feel for you, and I'm also happy for you. The letter was personal and an attempt at being helpful. But as the Davids said, another editor might have a whole different perspective. Take what you honestly feel is good advice, and leave the rest. He could have something regarding the flashbacks, though. Those are tricky buggers, and hard to get away with in a first book. But if handled right, they can add a marvy layer to the story. Personally, whenever I do one, I usually keep it to no more than a paragraph. But that's just me. :)

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the rejection, but it is an awfully nice rejection, and now you have a contact and that's always good. Lots of hugs.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
He could have something regarding the flashbacks, though. Those are tricky buggers, and hard to get away with in a first book. But if handled right, they can add a marvy layer to the story. Personally, whenever I do one, I usually keep it to no more than a paragraph. But that's just me. :)

Half the book (every other chapter) is a flashback! The story is told in two different era...one in the 21st Century and the other in the 18th Century. Taking out the flashbacks (which all of my betas loved) would destroy the book. <Sigh>

Last edited:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it strange how a personalized rejection somehow takes the greater sting out of the ordeal. This person has given you some valuable input concerning your work. Although it's a pass, it may very well lead to publication!

P. S. Don't take the flashbacks out. Improve them.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
You all are a great support team. Thank you for you kind thoughts. I shall continue to query... :snoopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.