• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Donald Maass Literary Agency

Aramis

Custom User Title Not Found
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, I suppose maybe my query just wasn't delivered for some reason? That's somewhat reassuring.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
An interesting FYI:

After garnering a rejection from my snail mail query to Ms. Jackson, I made the awful mistake of emailing a query to Ms. McClure a week or so later. No response. After a couple weeks (yeah, I know, I know, stupid), I emailed a query to Mr. Barbara forgetting he was with DMLA and I had just sent one to Ms. McClure. Again, no response.

Last week I read an online interview with Mr. Maass and he mentioned that every Wednesday (I think it's Wednesday), they all get together and review promising queries, so if you get rejected by them, you may want to wait six months and use an improved query....otherwise, the whole agency will be sitting in a conference room saying, "Why does this bozo keep querying us? Does he think we're idiots or something?"

Here's the link, by the way...
http://writerunboxed.com/2007/11/30/interview-donald-maass-part-1/

By the way, I have learned my lesson....I've stopped doing stupid things like this.

:eek:

Last edited:

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with him, but I queried him in March and never got a reply. Is this his normal form of rejection?

It depends how you queried. If you e-mailed, yes, a non-response is a rejection. If you snail mailed, then no, you should get a form letter rejection, I think.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with him, but I queried him in March and never got a reply. Is this his normal form of rejection?

On his website it says (snipped):

Alternately, you may wish to send your query letter by snail mail. We respond to every posted query that we receive. You may include the first five pages of your manuscript and a one page synopsis, if available. Be sure to enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for our reply. If you would like to receive your manuscript back if we should decline, make sure to include enough postage for its return. ...

link to page: http://www.maassagency.com/submissions.html

I didn't see anything about turn-around time in my quick scan, though.

Good luck with your query!

:Sun:

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Hi--I'm a new poster here, but I've been reading the forums for a while, especially these bewares and background checks. I've really appreciated the personal experiences people have shared about querying and working with various agents. It was tremendously hepful to me in my agent search.

To repay the favor, I'd like to share my experience having the good fortune to work with Cameron McClure. She's now my agent, and she's fantastic. This is a recent development, so she hasn't yet sold my book. But so far she has been a dream. She keeps in touch, is friendly and supportive, shares her submission strategy with me, and really "gets" my book. I feel respected, well informed, and in good hands.

She also has a book review blog, http://bookcannibal.blogspot.com/
Looking through this can give you a good sense of what kinds of things interest her. I've found her to be open to taking chances on books that don't quite fit the usual forms, so if that's you she may be your dream agent.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Emily! That is great news. I wish you all the success in the world.

Enjoy!!!!

:Sun:

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
For what its worth, I've subbed to Maass a few times and have always gotten a prompt response. Rejection, of course, but...

If you ever get the chance, he is an excellent guy to see give a talk. I once saw him at a conference when his then latest book came out (Writing the Breakout Novel.) He is very interesting and, of course, full of great information. The book is also good. I recommend it for any writer.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
I have a question about agencies in general and Maass in particular...

I querried D. Maass a few months ago, and he rejected my sub. Does that mean that I am to cross off all of the other agents in the agency, or can I still submit to them?

The very last thing I want to be is a pest (hounding agent after agent in the same agency). But at the same time, I would hate to miss an opportunity.

Does anyone know the ettiquette?

Thanks so much!!

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about agencies in general and Maass in particular...

I querried D. Maass a few months ago, and he rejected my sub. Does that mean that I am to cross off all of the other agents in the agency, or can I still submit to them?

The very last thing I want to be is a pest (hounding agent after agent in the same agency). But at the same time, I would hate to miss an opportunity.

Does anyone know the ettiquette?

Thanks so much!!

Doodlebug: See post #74. Since they (as an agency) meet every Wednesday to discuss queries, I'm assuming it COULD mean you're wasting your time querying other agents. It would seem that the first agent you queried would recognize the query when the 2nd agent brought it to the meeting.

Maybe wait a few months?

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Doodlebug: See post #74. Since they (as an agency) meet every Wednesday to discuss queries, I'm assuming it COULD mean you're wasting your time querying other agents. It would seem that the first agent you queried would recognize the query when the 2nd agent brought it to the meeting.

Maybe wait a few months?

Ah, good point.

I actually read #74, but forgot about that!! :Huh:

Thanks!

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine a "rejected sub" would ever be discussed at that Wednesday meeting. They surely can't discuss every sub they receive and put it to a vote. That would require a very, very long meeting.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine a "rejected sub" would ever be discussed at that Wednesday meeting. They surely can't discuss every sub they receive and put it to a vote. That would require a very, very long meeting.

Yeah, I think you're right, Saundra. But I was thinking of the situation where one agent got a sub (and liked it) that another agent just rejected the week before, bringing that sub to the meeting and the first agent saying, "Hey, I just rejected that query last week!"

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question, can you submit queries to the DMLA's agents on their personal email address or must you use the [email protected]?

Thanks!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
June, the following is from their site:

"If you are uncertain which agent at DMLA to query, address your e-mail or letter to Donald Maass. Your e-mail or letter will serve to query all agents at DMLA.

If there is a specific agent at DMLA whom you would like to represent you, then of course query that agent directly, but please do not send multiple queries."

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that, but she says in her agentquery page to email [email protected].

Meh, I'd just email her directly and to hell with it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Does anyone check out the "What we're looking for this month" feature on the Maass website? It's updated each month and weirdly, some of the examples are very specific.
ANyone, for instance, got a ms on a gamer who reaches the top in South Korea, or a thriller with bike messenger as protag?

Last month, one of the things Maass was looking for had quite a few parallels to my WIP but maybe the time slot has passed!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You're just so last month ya know, Aruna ;-)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone check out the "What we're looking for this month" feature on the Maass website? It's updated each month and weirdly, some of the examples are very specific.
ANyone, for instance, got a ms on a gamer who reaches the top in South Korea, or a thriller with bike messenger as protag?

Last month, one of the things Maass was looking for had quite a few parallels to my WIP but maybe the time slot has passed!

I check those. I always think they're fascinating. Maass does quite a bit of what-iffing regarding plots and concepts in his books as well.

Somebody, as a joke, should combine every one of them and send the finished MS to the agency. :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, Aruna. I just checked it out and think I might have something for Jennifer Jackson.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on how many others she has in the queue at any one time...she got back to me in two months on one full; four on another (this was a full); and about two and a half on a third (a partial). I'm talking months, not weeks ;)