Winter scene with evergreen trees and UFOs

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891328 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Maass Literary Agency

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Fingers crossed for you!

Just thought I'd let ya'll know that Donald Maass has also agreed to look at the first fifty pages of my novel. They represent famous authors like Anne Perry and Todd McCaffrey and are a very good agency.

Apryl

Congratulations, Apryl! That's a great start, believe me. Fingers crossed for you, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you, I definitely will! I've been doing an edit check on my novel to make sure there are no typos before I send it out. It'll go in the mail Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apryl

practical experience, FTW Spiny Norman's Avatar
    I just recently got an equery and partial back from Ms. McClure. There was a somewhat hefty turnaround time - she responded to the query after about a month, by which the full ms was out on an exclusive. Once I got turned down by that one I finally sent the partial to her, but after three weeks of waiting I asked if she had it. She said she did not and to check back next week. Then she had it, and then three weeks later she sent me a rejection. She was very complimentary, she said she loved the voice I write in but it wasn't tense enough and that the character was a little overwritten. Which is fine, because the main character is a talkative idiot.

I'm fine with rejections so long as they're the "this is good but not for me" kind of thing, rather than the "this is horrible and you should be ashamed of yourself."

I sent the submission to Donald Maass on Mar. 3rd and they responded on Mar. 16th. They said my novel looked "intriguing," and requested the first fifty pages. Ironically, I also got two rejections from two other literary agencies today, but that's okay, because at least Donald Maass is interested in my work.

Sometimes it is hard getting all those rejections, but you just have to believe in your writing and keep truckin.'

Apryl

Quote Originally Posted by Aprylwriter View Post
    Sometimes it is hard getting all those rejections, but you just have to believe in your writing and keep truckin.'

Apryl
    Well, it was that rejection that drove me into a fugue-like state of despair that resulted in me sending out about a dozen more queries, and by the end of the day I had two more requests for full manuscripts.

But the end of the day.

I don't know if the internet is fantastic or scary.

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed the similarity with Donald Maass to Oedipa Maas from The Crying of Lot 49? I mean, that can't be a very common name... It's just weird is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed the similarity with Donald Maass to Oedipa Maas from The Crying of Lot 49? I mean, that can't be a very common name... It's just weird is all.
    ... Not to mention with the spectacularly BRILLIANT writer Sharon Maas!!!!!
    (check my links down below....)
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Geez. No wonder I got a form rejection from Jennifer Jackson. Half of AW is submitting to DMLA!
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    ... Not to mention with the spectacularly BRILLIANT writer Sharon Maas!!!!!
    (check my links down below....)
    Not sure on this, but I think within the past few years, Donald Maass married a woman named Sharon.

Spiny,

I think the Internet is fantastic and scary! lol. Sometimes it is easier to send out an e-query instead of a snail mail query, especially since stamps are so expensive now. I usually have to spend $1.33 per submission, not including the money you have to pay for the printing paper, the ink, and envelopes.

Apryl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
    Geez. No wonder I got a form rejection from Jennifer Jackson. Half of AW is submitting to DMLA!
    I haven't yet, but plan to. I may as well collect a rejection from every agent on AgentQuery. That seems to be the goal I'm aiming for whether I want it or not.

Spiny,

I think the Internet is fantastic and scary! lol. Sometimes it is easier to send out an e-query instead of a snail mail query, especially since stamps are so expensive now. I usually have to spend $1.33 per submission, not including the money you have to pay for the printing paper, the ink, and envelopes.

Apryl
    Wow. It usually costs me at least $3.00/submission just in mail on average. I love the e-queries--rejection comes quickly.
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.” Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

What's a narrative engine?! FTJoshua's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jodiodi View Post
    I haven't yet, but plan to. I may as well collect a rejection from every agent on AgentQuery. That seems to be the goal I'm aiming for whether I want it or not.
    For what it's worth, this pretty much works. Don't give up. I had a stack of targeted letters written and ready to be sent out with AgentQuery addresses when I got my agent - after (I lost count) rejections and a thorough reworking based on AW posters' suggestions to my query. Hang in there.

No one has asked me for a full manuscript, only a partial, and a full manuscript would probably cost about $3.00-$8.00. Usually I include an SASE in the submission, then put two stamps on the envelope (a manilla envelope works best). It always goes through if I send it through media mail. Anything faster would cost extra.

Apryl

No one has asked me for a full manuscript, only a partial, and a full manuscript would probably cost about $3.00-$8.00. Usually I include an SASE in the submission, then put two stamps on the envelope (a manilla envelope works best). It always goes through if I send it through media mail. Anything faster would cost extra.

Apryl
    Hmm... Well, as someone who doesn't print out the ms himself, going to FedEx/Kinko's and having it done for you and the shipped can run in the 20 to 40 dollar range.

So... yeah. I'm all for e-queries. I have no idea why snail mail seems to be the prominent one still.

Quote Originally Posted by stormie View Post
    Not sure on this, but I think within the past few years, Donald Maass married a woman named Sharon.
    Do you really think so, or are you kidding?
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Serious. But I just realized I'm wrong about his wife's name. Sorry! Go here.

Quote Originally Posted by stormie View Post
    Serious. But I just realized I'm wrong about his wife's name. Sorry! Go here.

What a pity! Else I cuuld say pretend to be Donald Maass' wife - might get me an editor quicker!
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

~ Rumi

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
    That's probably true. I don't doubt that the Maass agency is where most writers of speculative fiction begin the submission process.

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar
    Hmm... Well, as someone who doesn't print out the ms himself, going to FedEx/Kinko's and having it done for you and the shipped can run in the 20 to 40 dollar range.
    It's cheaper to print 'em yourself. Depending on the price point of the printer, of course.

So... yeah. I'm all for e-queries. I have no idea why snail mail seems to be the prominent one still.
    Do you yourself prefer to read paper or pixels? Can you read pixels comfortably while hanging on to the grab bar on the subway with your other hand?
    R/
    Hamster #164

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J
    Do you yourself prefer to read paper or pixels? Can you read pixels comfortably while hanging on to the grab bar on the subway with your other hand?
    When it comes to essays, novels, and short stories, no, I would certainly prefer hard copies to pixels. But if it's something very short, say, one page or so, and something that's specifically designed to be browsed through... Well, then I'm more for the e-version of this e-stuff.

I think.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Cameron McClure

I just had a request for a partial from Cameron McClure of DM Agency. Has anyone had any dealings or anything, positive or negative, to report?
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Custom User Title Not Found Aramis's Avatar
    I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with him, but I queried him in March and never got a reply. Is this his normal form of rejection?

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    No.
    DM and the other agents who work there usually reply with form rejections.
    Worth trying again.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891328 ... LastLast