• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Donald Maass Literary Agency

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just thought I'd let ya'll know that Donald Maass has also agreed to look at the first fifty pages of my novel. :) They represent famous authors like Anne Perry and Todd McCaffrey and are a very good agency.

Apryl

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thank you, I definitely will! :) I've been doing an edit check on my novel to make sure there are no typos before I send it out. It'll go in the mail Tuesday or Wednesday.

Apryl

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
I just recently got an equery and partial back from Ms. McClure. There was a somewhat hefty turnaround time - she responded to the query after about a month, by which the full ms was out on an exclusive. Once I got turned down by that one I finally sent the partial to her, but after three weeks of waiting I asked if she had it. She said she did not and to check back next week. Then she had it, and then three weeks later she sent me a rejection. She was very complimentary, she said she loved the voice I write in but it wasn't tense enough and that the character was a little overwritten. Which is fine, because the main character is a talkative idiot.

I'm fine with rejections so long as they're the "this is good but not for me" kind of thing, rather than the "this is horrible and you should be ashamed of yourself."

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I sent the submission to Donald Maass on Mar. 3rd and they responded on Mar. 16th. They said my novel looked "intriguing," and requested the first fifty pages. Ironically, I also got two rejections from two other literary agencies today, but that's okay, because at least Donald Maass is interested in my work.

Sometimes it is hard getting all those rejections, but you just have to believe in your writing and keep truckin.'

Apryl

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sometimes it is hard getting all those rejections, but you just have to believe in your writing and keep truckin.'

Apryl

Well, it was that rejection that drove me into a fugue-like state of despair that resulted in me sending out about a dozen more queries, and by the end of the day I had two more requests for full manuscripts.

But the end of the day.

I don't know if the internet is fantastic or scary.

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed the similarity with Donald Maass to Oedipa Maas from The Crying of Lot 49? I mean, that can't be a very common name... It's just weird is all.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed the similarity with Donald Maass to Oedipa Maas from The Crying of Lot 49? I mean, that can't be a very common name... It's just weird is all.

... Not to mention with the spectacularly BRILLIANT writer Sharon Maas!!!!!
(check my links down below....)

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Spiny,

I think the Internet is fantastic and scary! lol. Sometimes it is easier to send out an e-query instead of a snail mail query, especially since stamps are so expensive now. I usually have to spend $1.33 per submission, not including the money you have to pay for the printing paper, the ink, and envelopes.

Apryl

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Geez. No wonder I got a form rejection from Jennifer Jackson. Half of AW is submitting to DMLA! :scared:

I haven't yet, but plan to. I may as well collect a rejection from every agent on AgentQuery. That seems to be the goal I'm aiming for whether I want it or not.

Spiny,

I think the Internet is fantastic and scary! lol. Sometimes it is easier to send out an e-query instead of a snail mail query, especially since stamps are so expensive now. I usually have to spend $1.33 per submission, not including the money you have to pay for the printing paper, the ink, and envelopes.

Apryl

Wow. It usually costs me at least $3.00/submission just in mail on average. I love the e-queries--rejection comes quickly.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't yet, but plan to. I may as well collect a rejection from every agent on AgentQuery. That seems to be the goal I'm aiming for whether I want it or not.

For what it's worth, this pretty much works. Don't give up. I had a stack of targeted letters written and ready to be sent out with AgentQuery addresses when I got my agent - after (I lost count) rejections and a thorough reworking based on AW posters' suggestions to my query. Hang in there.

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
No one has asked me for a full manuscript, only a partial, and a full manuscript would probably cost about $3.00-$8.00. Usually I include an SASE in the submission, then put two stamps on the envelope (a manilla envelope works best). It always goes through if I send it through media mail. Anything faster would cost extra.

Apryl

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No one has asked me for a full manuscript, only a partial, and a full manuscript would probably cost about $3.00-$8.00. Usually I include an SASE in the submission, then put two stamps on the envelope (a manilla envelope works best). It always goes through if I send it through media mail. Anything faster would cost extra.

Apryl

Hmm... Well, as someone who doesn't print out the ms himself, going to FedEx/Kinko's and having it done for you and the shipped can run in the 20 to 40 dollar range.

So... yeah. I'm all for e-queries. I have no idea why snail mail seems to be the prominent one still.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Geez. No wonder I got a form rejection from Jennifer Jackson. Half of AW is submitting to DMLA! :scared:

That's probably true. I don't doubt that the Maass agency is where most writers of speculative fiction begin the submission process.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... Well, as someone who doesn't print out the ms himself, going to FedEx/Kinko's and having it done for you and the shipped can run in the 20 to 40 dollar range.
It's cheaper to print 'em yourself. Depending on the price point of the printer, of course.

So... yeah. I'm all for e-queries. I have no idea why snail mail seems to be the prominent one still.
Do you yourself prefer to read paper or pixels? Can you read pixels comfortably while hanging on to the grab bar on the subway with your other hand?

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Duncan J said:
Do you yourself prefer to read paper or pixels? Can you read pixels comfortably while hanging on to the grab bar on the subway with your other hand?

When it comes to essays, novels, and short stories, no, I would certainly prefer hard copies to pixels. But if it's something very short, say, one page or so, and something that's specifically designed to be browsed through... Well, then I'm more for the e-version of this e-stuff.

I think.

Aramis

Custom User Title Not Found
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad so many people have had positive experiences with him, but I queried him in March and never got a reply. Is this his normal form of rejection?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
No.
DM and the other agents who work there usually reply with form rejections.
Worth trying again.