• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Donald Maass Literary Agency

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to query Cameron McClure, but the agency website is a little confusing. On the "submissions" page, they state all submissions need to be sent to the info (at) maassagency (dot) com, but on Ms. McClure's bio page, it lists a specific e-mail and different requirements (i.e. no synopsis).

Any experience or advice with this?

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to query Cameron McClure, but the agency website is a little confusing. On the "submissions" page, they state all submissions need to be sent to the info (at) maassagency (dot) com, but on Ms. McClure's bio page, it lists a specific e-mail and different requirements (i.e. no synopsis).

Any experience or advice with this?

I queried Cameron with the e-mail on her bio page and followed her stated requirements. I think that's the correct procedure, but since I never heard back from her, take that with a grain of salt.

(Now I'm wondering if I should use the general info e-mail for my re-query? Grr, confusing guidelines are the worst!)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that when Cameron requested my partial, my initial query was to her personal e-mail (the one listed in her bio), and it was just a query+pages.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification/advice, Stella and Beckstah. I fired off a Q to the bio e-mail, so we'll see what happens.

'Course, if I get a Mr. Yuck Face in response, I'll just assume it's because of the wrong e-mail and not, say, my horribly clichéd writing.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Has anyone queried Amy Boggs since she reopened 10/1? I queried on the first day and haven't heard yet, which didn't surprise me until I saw her tweet today that she had received queries during the hurricane and was reviewing them. Wonder if I got lost, or she's an out order kind of gal.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She must be an out-of-order type, JoyMC. I queried her back in May and haven't heard anything. I did get the auto-reply, so I know the gremlins didn't get it.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Has anyone queried Amy Boggs since she reopened 10/1? I queried on the first day and haven't heard yet, which didn't surprise me until I saw her tweet today that she had received queries during the hurricane and was reviewing them. Wonder if I got lost, or she's an out order kind of gal.

She commented on Twitter: "I do reply to all, eventually. To be honest, the easier it is to say no, the quicker I respond."

Last edited:

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au

In my experience Ms Boggs is extremely slow to respond. In the past I have queried her twice. One response was sent 16 months after the query; the other 9 months and after I had signed contracts for representation with someone else.

She was classy though and wished me luck.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
So.after querying Donald Maass agency about eight months ago, I just now received a response with a request for a partial (yay!!!) It seems they are a little backed up, but I'm thrilled to receive a request nonetheless
*fingers crossed*

ETA: It was an email response to a snail mail query, by the way. Never had that happen before...

Last edited:

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
So.after querying Donald Maass agency about eight months ago, I just now received a response with a request for a partial (yay!!!) It seems they are a little backed up, but I'm thrilled to receive a request nonetheless
*fingers crossed*
Awesome! Which agent did you contact?

The_Burning_Quill

Registered
Reaction score
Hello - I'll preface the post by declaring that I am a massive noobcake re: agents (or even how these 'online forum' things work other than lurking).

I seem to have made a howler of a mistake in my query to DMLA in that I think I've submitted to the wrong agent.

I submitted my query to Jennifer Jackson at DMLA because she *seemed* the best fit for my Fantasy/SciFi crossover work..... until I later scrolled down to read Jennifer Udden's bio where she specifically mentions that she is looking for this type of novel. *cue face palm*

What should I do? Wait for Jennifer Jackson to reject then drop a line to Jennifer Udden? Or should I take direct action and try to divert the submission to the more appropriate agent?

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Hello - I'll preface the post by declaring that I am a massive noobcake re: agents (or even how these 'online forum' things work other than lurking).

I seem to have made a howler of a mistake in my query to DMLA in that I think I've submitted to the wrong agent.

I submitted my query to Jennifer Jackson at DMLA because she *seemed* the best fit for my Fantasy/SciFi crossover work..... until I later scrolled down to read Jennifer Udden's bio where she specifically mentions that she is looking for this type of novel. *cue face palm*

What should I do? Wait for Jennifer Jackson to reject then drop a line to Jennifer Udden? Or should I take direct action and try to divert the submission to the more appropriate agent?

I would wait, see what the reply is from Jackson and if it is a no, then query Udden. Who knows, maybe Jackson will love your manuscript and offer to rep it.

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
I would wait, see what the reply is from Jackson and if it is a no, then query Udden. Who knows, maybe Jackson will love your manuscript and offer to rep it.

I would do exactly the same. Wait to hear back from one agent before querying another.

And don't worry too much. Good luck and keep on querying, The Burning Quill.

The_Burning_Quill

Registered
Reaction score
I would do exactly the same. Wait to hear back from one agent before querying another.

And don't worry too much. Good luck and keep on querying, The Burning Quill.

Many thanks. I guess I'll just sit tight. I have this queasy worry about whether DMLA have a 'one submission to the agency' policy and I don't want to burn it by sending it to the "wrong" agent.

I wonder if the agents bother sharing slushpile subs if they think one of their colleagues are better suited or if they just bin them due to massive volume.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Received a full request from MJ (office assistant). Sending that out tonight....