• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Donald Maass Literary Agency

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I catually came across his site not long ago while researching agents. I liked a lot of what I saw, and will submit to him/them when the time comes.

Hopefully he's gentle with me! :)

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
JeanneTGC said:
Maass is huge in fantasy. Any fantasy writer (myself included) would kill to be represented by his agency (okay, maybe some wouldn't kill, but, uh, you know, if the Maass folks *need* someone "taken care of" in return for enthusiastic representation, call me). He agents the guy who wrote "Wicked" (sorry, I know it's Gregory but I can't remember his last name), as an example.

I was under the impression Gregory Maguire's agent was William Reiss at John Hawkins Associates. Indeed, I am almost certain of it.

One of the impressive things about Maass is that he agents almost nothing but fiction. This is rare these days.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
UrsusMinor said:
I was under the impression Gregory Maguire's agent was William Reiss at John Hawkins Associates. Indeed, I am almost certain of it.

One of the impressive things about Maass is that he agents almost nothing but fiction. This is rare these days.

You're probably right. All the top agents websites are a blur to me by now. :D At any rate, Maass agents top writers, whoever they may be. (LOL)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I've sent off a query letter and five-page chunk to one of his agency's agents. It's been, like two days and she hasn't written me back. They must personally hate me and personally hate my work. I'm being Crushed By The System.

:D

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
PeeDee said:
I've sent off a query letter and five-page chunk to one of his agency's agents. It's been, like two days and she hasn't written me back. They must personally hate me and personally hate my work. I'm being Crushed By The System.

Poor PeeDee. This will make you feel better--I have a partial out with one the agency's agents and it's been like four, going on five weeks and she hasn't written me back. :cry:
I'd really, really, really, really like her for an agent too. If only she LIKED me!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:

It'd have helped if you weren't trying to sell a novel called "How to kill your Lit. Agent and get away with their insurance money."

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Bartholomew said:
It'd have helped if you weren't trying to sell a novel called "How to kill your Lit. Agent and get away with their insurance money."

I bet they'd respond much damn faster if they realize how much research I put into writing that book.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
He was my agent for a time, but I decided we weren't a good fit, dropped him, and got my current agent who is perfect for me.

Don reps for some very big names (Anne Perry is one of 'em) and highly selective about who he takes on. If he turns you down, don't take it personally. You might try Jennifer Jackson, who works in his agency.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I didn't query Donald Maass specifically. I queried Cameron McClure with high hopes (and, mostly, nagging doubts once I'd sent off the query, because a waiting game is still a waiting game, even when you fill it up with writing).

The only thing that bugs me is, she'll only respond if interested. Arg.

I considered Jennifer Jackson first, but didn't submit to her. I've been enjoying reading her blog all week, though.

I was originally intending to query Merrilee Heifetz first, except that her web-site deeply intimidated me by asking what made my manuscript "special and unique."

Last edited:

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
PeeDee said:
I didn't query Donald Maass specifically. I queried Cameron McClure with high hopes (and, mostly, nagging doubts once I'd sent off the query, because a waiting game is still a waiting game, even when you fill it up with writing). The only thing that bugs me is, she'll only respond if interested. Arg. . . .

I met her at a writers' conference. She asked for pages of a project that I was't pitching but had mentioned.

I received a very nice personal rejection from her in about a month. In fact, I posted it on my blog:http://peevishpen.blogspot.com/2006/11/rejected-but-not-dejected.html

I wouldn't expect her to respond during the holidays. Wait at least until mid-January before you get antsy.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm not antsy, I'm just kidding. I mean, good lord, it's only been....three days? Four days? And, as you point out, over the holidays.

Her having the query gives me an excuse not to worry about it for a while, so I can get on with my writing.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Here's a link to what Stephen Barbara of Donald Maass Literary Agency is looking for. You have to scroll half-way down the page to read it.
http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=13842.90

He'll answer all queries and takes email queries. He's my agent, and I find him to be wonderful at keeping me informed of what's going on with my ms., and if revisions are warranted, he's spot on with what would work.

They don't have a written contract; rather what's called a "gentleman's agreement" (a virtual handshake over the phone) and a letter welcoming the new client to the agency.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted today. Oh, what a nice Christmas present that would be if only...
aliajohnson said:
Poor PeeDee. This will make you feel better--I have a partial out with one the agency's agents and it's been like four, going on five weeks and she hasn't written me back. :cry:
I'd really, really, really, really like her for an agent too. If only she LIKED me!

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
stormie said:
Here's a link to what Stephen Barbara of Donald Maass Literary Agency is looking for. You have to scroll half-way down the page to read it.
http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=13842.90

He'll answer all queries and takes email queries. He's my agent, and I find him to be wonderful at keeping me informed of what's going on with my ms., and if revisions are warranted, he's spot on with what would work.

They don't have a written contract; rather what's called a "gentleman's agreement" (a virtual handshake over the phone) and a letter welcoming the new client to the agency.

He sounds delightful. Unfortunately, the novel I'm shopping falls somewhere under the sci-fi/fantasy umbrella. I suppose I could submit it as commercial fiction and pray he doesn't read too closely and notice the Elves, Centaurs, etc. wandering around Minnesota... :)

He does sound wonderful, though.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey, you never know, Pete. He might just fall in love with the writing and the rest is history.

In this current novel, I have ghosts running around and strange things happening all over the place. Of course, it's geared toward middle grade readers where, to your average preteen in the everyday real world, a lot of strange things take place anyway. ;)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Maybe instead of a query letter, I'll send him a nice little letter that says "Hi. I know this isn't your thing. Please?" and include a print-off of a really plaintive smilie face.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
sdb60030.gif

I'm sorry. I realize we've probably wandered far afield of what this thread's actual and useful purpose is, inside the B&B board.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer Jackson has a full of mine...I'm hoping :) She's had it since the beginning of December.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Stormie and clara! it was an interesting story how she requested it -- I queried her twice (once snail and once through e-mail); she didn't receive either...so I sq-ed through the agency website, and when she saw that she'd missed both, she actually called me to apologize (even though it wasn't her fault or responsibility)...and now she has the full. She was extremely nice on the phone, and I can see that she'd work very hard on behalf on her clients!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Donald Maass Literary Agency is one of the very few I'd heard of before getting serious about writing. I believe that says something about their reputation if the name can seep into the consciousness of someone not in the business.

Now that I am serious about writing, I would consider it a singular honour to be represented by them. Good luck to all of you who have submitted or queried.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Jennifer decided the ms she was reading wouldn't be a good debut novel...so now she's reading a different one (I sent blurbs of my others when I subbed the first) that she chose from the list. I'm hoping to hear soon ;)