Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456781227 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Maass Literary Agency

I catually came across his site not long ago while researching agents. I liked a lot of what I saw, and will submit to him/them when the time comes.

Hopefully he's gentle with me!
    Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red.
    This is you barking, and this is me being the wrong tree.
    WIP NOVELS:
    The Blood- First edit complete
    Butterscotch
    WIP SHORTS:

The Bitter Twist
    The Dark Trap

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanneTGC
    Maass is huge in fantasy. Any fantasy writer (myself included) would kill to be represented by his agency (okay, maybe some wouldn't kill, but, uh, you know, if the Maass folks *need* someone "taken care of" in return for enthusiastic representation, call me). He agents the guy who wrote "Wicked" (sorry, I know it's Gregory but I can't remember his last name), as an example.
    I was under the impression Gregory Maguire's agent was William Reiss at John Hawkins Associates. Indeed, I am almost certain of it.

One of the impressive things about Maass is that he agents almost nothing but fiction. This is rare these days.

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusMinor
    I was under the impression Gregory Maguire's agent was William Reiss at John Hawkins Associates. Indeed, I am almost certain of it.

One of the impressive things about Maass is that he agents almost nothing but fiction. This is rare these days.
    You're probably right. All the top agents websites are a blur to me by now. At any rate, Maass agents top writers, whoever they may be. (LOL)
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming May 5, 2015, Alien Separation -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Where's my tea, please...? PeeDee's Avatar
    I've sent off a query letter and five-page chunk to one of his agency's agents. It's been, like two days and she hasn't written me back. They must personally hate me and personally hate my work. I'm being Crushed By The System.

practical experience, FTW aliajohnson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee
    I've sent off a query letter and five-page chunk to one of his agency's agents. It's been, like two days and she hasn't written me back. They must personally hate me and personally hate my work. I'm being Crushed By The System.

Poor PeeDee. This will make you feel better--I have a partial out with one the agency's agents and it's been like four, going on five weeks and she hasn't written me back.
    I'd really, really, really, really like her for an agent too. If only she LIKED me!

It'd have helped if you weren't trying to sell a novel called "How to kill your Lit. Agent and get away with their insurance money."
    I make a webcomic. Clicking it makes you awesome.

Do you need cover art, illustrations, or images for your blog? Super cheap commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew
    It'd have helped if you weren't trying to sell a novel called "How to kill your Lit. Agent and get away with their insurance money."
    I bet they'd respond much damn faster if they realize how much research I put into writing that book.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    He was my agent for a time, but I decided we weren't a good fit, dropped him, and got my current agent who is perfect for me.

Don reps for some very big names (Anne Perry is one of 'em) and highly selective about who he takes on. If he turns you down, don't take it personally. You might try Jennifer Jackson, who works in his agency.

I didn't query Donald Maass specifically. I queried Cameron McClure with high hopes (and, mostly, nagging doubts once I'd sent off the query, because a waiting game is still a waiting game, even when you fill it up with writing).

The only thing that bugs me is, she'll only respond if interested. Arg.

I considered Jennifer Jackson first, but didn't submit to her. I've been enjoying reading her blog all week, though.

I was originally intending to query Merrilee Heifetz first, except that her web-site deeply intimidated me by asking what made my manuscript "special and unique."
    Last edited by PeeDee; 12-23-2006 at 12:45 PM.

I didn't query Donald Maass specifically. I queried Cameron McClure with high hopes (and, mostly, nagging doubts once I'd sent off the query, because a waiting game is still a waiting game, even when you fill it up with writing). The only thing that bugs me is, she'll only respond if interested. Arg. . . .
    I met her at a writers' conference. She asked for pages of a project that I was't pitching but had mentioned.

I received a very nice personal rejection from her in about a month. In fact, I posted it on my blog:http://peevishpen.blogspot.com/2006/...-dejected.html

I wouldn't expect her to respond during the holidays. Wait at least until mid-January before you get antsy.

I'm not antsy, I'm just kidding. I mean, good lord, it's only been....three days? Four days? And, as you point out, over the holidays.

Her having the query gives me an excuse not to worry about it for a while, so I can get on with my writing.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Here's a link to what Stephen Barbara of Donald Maass Literary Agency is looking for. You have to scroll half-way down the page to read it.
    http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=13842.90

He'll answer all queries and takes email queries. He's my agent, and I find him to be wonderful at keeping me informed of what's going on with my ms., and if revisions are warranted, he's spot on with what would work.

They don't have a written contract; rather what's called a "gentleman's agreement" (a virtual handshake over the phone) and a letter welcoming the new client to the agency.

BLOG BLOG BLOG

practical experience, FTW janetbellinger's Avatar
    I just submitted today. Oh, what a nice Christmas present that would be if only...
    Quote Originally Posted by aliajohnson
    Poor PeeDee. This will make you feel better--I have a partial out with one the agency's agents and it's been like four, going on five weeks and she hasn't written me back.
    I'd really, really, really, really like her for an agent too. If only she LIKED me!
    Last edited by janetbellinger; 12-23-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    Janet

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
    Author:
    Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by stormie
    Here's a link to what Stephen Barbara of Donald Maass Literary Agency is looking for. You have to scroll half-way down the page to read it.
    http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=13842.90

He'll answer all queries and takes email queries. He's my agent, and I find him to be wonderful at keeping me informed of what's going on with my ms., and if revisions are warranted, he's spot on with what would work.

They don't have a written contract; rather what's called a "gentleman's agreement" (a virtual handshake over the phone) and a letter welcoming the new client to the agency.
    He sounds delightful. Unfortunately, the novel I'm shopping falls somewhere under the sci-fi/fantasy umbrella. I suppose I could submit it as commercial fiction and pray he doesn't read too closely and notice the Elves, Centaurs, etc. wandering around Minnesota...

He does sound wonderful, though.

Hey, you never know, Pete. He might just fall in love with the writing and the rest is history.

In this current novel, I have ghosts running around and strange things happening all over the place. Of course, it's geared toward middle grade readers where, to your average preteen in the everyday real world, a lot of strange things take place anyway.

BLOG BLOG BLOG

Maybe instead of a query letter, I'll send him a nice little letter that says "Hi. I know this isn't your thing. Please?" and include a print-off of a really plaintive smilie face.

Too funny! Yeah, that'll catch his attention all right. And everyone else in that office, too!

BLOG BLOG BLOG

I'm sorry. I realize we've probably wandered far afield of what this thread's actual and useful purpose is, inside the B&B board.

meet Donald Maas in person? As if. I wish. Good luck!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Jennifer Jackson has a full of mine...I'm hoping She's had it since the beginning of December.

Quote Originally Posted by andracill
    Jennifer Jackson has a full of mine...I'm hoping She's had it since the beginning of December.
    fingers crossed for you!

Quote Originally Posted by andracill
    Good luck! I like her blog. http://arcaedia.livejournal.com/

BLOG BLOG BLOG

Thanks, Stormie and clara! it was an interesting story how she requested it -- I queried her twice (once snail and once through e-mail); she didn't receive either...so I sq-ed through the agency website, and when she saw that she'd missed both, she actually called me to apologize (even though it wasn't her fault or responsibility)...and now she has the full. She was extremely nice on the phone, and I can see that she'd work very hard on behalf on her clients!

The Donald Maass Literary Agency is one of the very few I'd heard of before getting serious about writing. I believe that says something about their reputation if the name can seep into the consciousness of someone not in the business.

Now that I am serious about writing, I would consider it a singular honour to be represented by them. Good luck to all of you who have submitted or queried.
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength
    My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
    Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

Update: Jennifer decided the ms she was reading wouldn't be a good debut novel...so now she's reading a different one (I sent blurbs of my others when I subbed the first) that she chose from the list. I'm hoping to hear soon

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456781227 ... LastLast