Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I dunno, Skelly. Sounds like you tortured yourself, pretty much. Sorry to hear that you had such a hellish experience.

If I were to write a novel "to sell", I doubt I would have gotten past the first two chapters. Instead I write what burns, and I still haven't lost interest and hope in my novel even though I've been stuck so many times on the monster I've become a laughing-stock. The novel is very bizarre. Who knows whether it will sell? I don't care. If I had to fret about that on top of everything, the joy of it would disappear - and why write then? There are many less torturous and more sure ways of making money.

Those are my 2c. Just because you are awesome I think you can succeed with "your" novel, not "their" novel. But then again, what do I know?

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give up on the idea of ever being published and just write for myself?

I've got to ask--why is publication the ONLY validation of writing?

If we painted, or embroidered, or made sculptures or played an instrument or sang--professional would not be the only validation of those arts/skills. Why is it that way for writers? I've never understood the mindset, sorry.

I write for myself, but more, I write for my story. Yes, I'm seeking publication, but if I can't write a story that >I< am proud of having my name on, what's the point of doing all the work? And if I just wanted to chunk out a standard to the market, I could do so many other things that wouldn't be as soulbreaking, as time and energy consuming, as frustrating as trying to get a novel published.

If NYC publication doesn't pan out for me, there's other venues for gaining readers opening every day. I figure, I'm not getting paid for writing now and haven't for the last 30+ years, so I can't be doing it for the money--I must be doing it for me and the story.

Look seriously at why you're writing, be honest about it, and what YOU get out of it and let that be your reward. Publication is the icing roses atop the story-cake. If you're anything like me, I'm more interested in the cake than the icing.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I'm sick of it. The G.D. truth of the matter is that I want to write stories like the ones that I read when I was a kid. I mean the G.D. Hardy Boys/Three Investigators/Tom Corbett, Spaaaaace Cadet! kind of stories. I don't want to "update" them for "todays" kids, I don't want them to be "edgy," or "modern," or "hip." I don't want to "target the market" or ... grrrrrr
I wrote exactly what I wanted to write and didn't worry about the 'target market'. I didn't even HAVE a target market. When I wrote my medieval novel I wrote it the way I wanted to. Some people were ticked off because it wasn't the 'bodice ripper' they were expecting. Some people didn't like it because they thought it was too dark. Well, the black plague was dark. It took me a couple of years to find a home for the manuscript but I DID find a publisher and the novel was nominated for the 2006 OLA White Pine Young Readers Choice Award. It's also in high school reading programs in Ontario and Nova Scotia and my publisher hopes to add more provinces this year. To make a long story short, it is NOT about teens, it does NOT have swearing. It does NOT have sex. It is NOT edgy or modern or hip. But the kids like it and I eventually had to get a website to answer their questions because I simply couldn't handle all the emails. I'm living proof that you CAN write what you want to write and have it sell. WRITE WHAT YOU WANT TO WRITE.
Linnea

Last edited:

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've got to ask--why is publication the ONLY validation of writing?
I suppose it isn't, it just is for me. I wish I could honestly say that I write purely for the love of creating...and I do love that part of it...but I find that some part of me has to believe (even if I'm only fooling myself) that what I am writing at least has an outside chance of seeing publication and being read. Otherwise, what is the point? If I'm just telling stories to myself, I can do that while I'm laying in bed waiting to fall asleep at night.

I really appreciate your analysis Del, and that of everyone else who has kindly contributed to this thread. It's not that I need somebody to come tell me what I oughta do...only that it helps to see how other people view the situation and listen to what they have to say about it. That's the great value of this board, and all of you guys, and be certain that I very much appreciate all of you and your insight and input.

What did I get out of all of it? What was the end result? Well, I'm starting to think that maybe I have some unresolved issues re: my first novel...that maybe in order to move on I am going to have to finish that business once and for all.

And it has nothing at all to do with karo.ambrose (who beta'd that manuscript) telling God and everybody that I'm throwing myself a pity party. :D

It's sort of like realizing that you took a wrong turn a few miles back up the road...and for a few minutes you stand there considering just keeping going the wrong direction because gosh darnit you don't want to have to walk ALL the way back and start over.

But I reckon I will. Thanks for all the input you guys.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any of the McSweeney's "pulp adventure" anthologies? Glen David Gold has edited one, I think. He writes stories and novels of the kind I loved as a kid, and he's managed to be very successful while sticking to what he loves--which is a bit retro.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
Here's an alternate suggestion:

Write something that will sell, and build a reputation, and then write the odd stuff you like.

At that point, people will believe in you, and they will work to make it sell. Success will lead to success.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, sorry Scott. I didn't mean to give you a hard time. A couple of JW blacks do that to me sometimes. Basically, I'm disagreeing with you when you say you can't write all those things that I've clearly seen you had written. I think you're being too hard on yourself and I was just trying to say 'buck up, amigo'... albeit with a harsh, bitter, drunken tone.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Here's an alternate suggestion:

Write something that will sell, and build a reputation, and then write the odd stuff you like.

At that point, people will believe in you, and they will work to make it sell. Success will lead to success.

this i like-business is business and this is solid advice-well done and well said mr. robison!

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, sorry Scott. I didn't mean to give you a hard time. A couple of JW blacks do that to me sometimes. Basically, I'm disagreeing with you when you say you can't write all those things that I've clearly seen you had written. I think you're being too hard on yourself and I was just trying to say 'buck up, amigo'... albeit with a harsh, bitter, drunken tone.
Not at all, Ryan. In fact, I thought it was a pretty well-timed kick in the ass :)

Status
Not open for further replies.