Favorite lines you've written

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
On his way down to the Verde, he'd glance in his rearview mirror at the Ponderosa pines covering the slopes of the highest mountains in Arizona before winding his way down the Mogollon Rim escarpment and passing through the sculpted, red rock outcrops around Sedona. It was spectacular country. Years later, when seeing the landscape in film and on television, he literally ached knowing he could never go back to undo some of the mistakes made when living there.

This is very nice.

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
My narrator and my main character are about to meet with a loan shark who's been threatening them:

[Charlie's] eyes are hungrier for violence than Brutus and Cassius at a salad bar, but the rest of her face is level.​

Further along, when my narrator, my main character, and a couple of others need to get somewhere, and my narrator wants to steal from the loan shark from earlier:

[other guy talking to Charlie] "You want to take your car or mine?"

Is he shitting me? Why can't we take Tony's –

– 2-seat Ferrari F50 that would draw more attention to us than a naked clown screaming "Feed me." Never mind, bad idea.

Charlie bites her lip. “Yours is a Chevy Malibu, right? Fancy paint, pretty hubcaps, gangster-yet-legal decals on the windows?"

"Yeah?"

"Mine’s a Ford: fuel tanks, chassis, engine. Unless you want to go all Fred Flintstone the whole way, we’re taking mine."​​

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
"As Thomas Paine said, 'You can't thread a moving needle.'"

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
What I had encountered was not of this world. Hypnosis was really on me, a human of this world, to pull the memory back. Maybe I needed someone who worked beyond our world to pull this in. Which is what brought me to the psychic medium.
And of course, I brought my ginger, Pepper.
Yes, Pepper, the ginger.
My best friend, red haired, freckled, soulless ginger. Pepper.

Tinuviel

A someday author wannabe.
Registered
Reaction score
“Pain never leaves the world, Harry. It may be blunted by time, and one person may share it with another, but when something has been done, it can never be undone. When you have committed a sin, or a sin has been committed against you, the pain of that sin will remain forever, a scar on your heart just as real and just ugly as a scar on your face.”

KCT

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
He stepped back to the edge of the road to let the truck pass. Two burly men rode together in the cab. Painted on the van's side in bright-red letters were the words, "Classic Piano Restoration & Sales." The car following behind carried four men dressed in blue coveralls. The re-sellers had come to collect Phoenix's grand piano.

Carl recalled when she performed her music for him while dressed in her black-beaded gown. He thought of her and the Steinway as a perfectly matched pair. An artist and an instrument made complete by the glorious music that arose from them both. Now that brilliant relationship would end. He couldn't escape the irony to think silence was the sound of shattered dreams.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
kkbe, just read your daily sigline. You always make me worry for the kids.

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Some background may or may not help - MC (Richard) is in the middle of a disciplinary hearing concerning actions he took in response to the bombing of a hospital from orbit - his response was to locate the capital ship that did the bombing and smash it into the small planetoid where Deri Spectra, the man who planned said bombing, had his secret facility. The resulting explosion tore the planetoid apart.

[N]oticing her untouched coffee mug, she drained it. "If you knew where Deri Spectra was, why didn't you capture him for interrogation?"
"I doubt I was thinking that far ahead at the time," said Richard flatly.
"You
mock me?"
"If answering a question honestly is interpreted as mocking you, how do you expect me to answer any more of your questions?"
"Continue to bait me and you will find you've hooked a much bigger fish than you were looking for."
"I’ve brought a
very expensive fishing pole."

Bloopographer

Registered
Reaction score
"You know, you're pretty. funny."

"It's funny that I'm pretty?" I asked.

"No. Sorry, that was a typo. I meant: you're funny."

"Not pretty?"

Guy laughed. "Sure. You're both funny and pretty."

"Thanks for the compliments, which I fully enjoyed, even considering I wrote your lines. Is there anything else I can make you say or do?"

He shrugged. "Anything you like. It's your story."

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
[FONT=&quot]Perhaps giving up, much like growing older, was not something which happened overnight. Instead, both had happened in little bits and pieces, a day at a time; they must have been giving up for years, Nefrál thought, and so had not realized it when the dream of running away had finally died. She herself had hardly noticed its passing, but then it had never been her dream in the first place.[/FONT]

Brandinian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonpfeltz.com
This will probably come off as overdone cliche drivel, but I wrote this one yesterday and it's been sticking out in my mind: "However, the heart is a powerful thing. When it cries, the body has no choice but to listen."

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps giving up, much like growing older, was not something which happened overnight. Instead, both had happened in little bits and pieces, a day at a time; they must have been giving up for years, Nefrál thought, and so had not realized it when the dream of running away had finally died. She herself had hardly noticed its passing, but then it had never been her dream in the first place.

I like that. It has resonance.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
There are no monsters here, only men.

There's something about it that grabs me. It seems to be saying a lot more than it's saying. I think it makes a great opening line.

- - - Updated - - -

This will probably come off as overdone cliche drivel, but I wrote this one yesterday and it's been sticking out in my mind: "However, the heart is a powerful thing. When it cries, the body has no choice but to listen."

I don't think it's drivel. In context, it could be quite powerful.

Infinitude

Registered
Reaction score
Two from yesterday.

1. The distillation of their dreams found form and language in the blood pyramid’s materiality, its stepped faces reverberating with the synaptic connections of the dying civilization’s memories and long-forgotten hopes

2. Last moments of gossamer lives diffused through the calligraphy of the red earth’s clay as it churned into unknowable madness by footstep on top of footstep, the mark left by a child soon encompassed and erased by that of his father, before even this ephemeral testament to their existence was swept away

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Two from yesterday.

1. The distillation of their dreams found form and language in the blood pyramid’s materiality, its stepped faces reverberating with the synaptic connections of the dying civilization’s memories and long-forgotten hopes

2. Last moments of gossamer lives diffused through the calligraphy of the red earth’s clay as it churned into unknowable madness by footstep on top of footstep, the mark left by a child soon encompassed and erased by that of his father, before even this ephermeral testament to their existence was swept away

Beautiful. I must admit I like #1 more though, but maybe that's because I've had the opportunity to wander about ancient ruins.

Brave Sir Robin

Registered
Reaction score
From my WIP.

On the side-effects of that little blue pill: "Yeah, well if I have an erection lasting more than four hours then she's the one who's going to need to seek medical attention."

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
There's something about it that grabs me. It seems to be saying a lot more than it's saying. I think it makes a great opening line.
thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks!

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Nick was indestructible. I was pretty sure if the Earth was decimated by a nuclear holocaust, the only things that would survive would be cockroaches, Twinkies and Nick Murphy.

I like that one :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
From my WIP.

On the side-effects of that little blue pill: "Yeah, well if I have an erection lasting more than four hours then she's the one who's going to need to seek medical attention."

Ha, that's great. Every time I see that commercial I think the same thing. ...seek medical attention, for your wife!