Favorite lines you've written

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
This is a line from a piece I actually completed a couple months ago. Was going back and revising with fresh eyes. The MC ends up sleeping with her very married boss on a business trip. For some reason I liked this particular line.

As far as business went, the trip was a success. As far as orgasms went, the trip was never ending it seemed. As far as faith and morals went the trip was a fucking disaster.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
From the work in progress. Multiple histories intersecting with the present as Percy (an FBI agent) investigates a series of murders and learns that the subject of an old ghost story has a living descendant.

Oh! more Del stuff!! You are soooo going to publish this. :Thumbs:

When the email came I failed to notice who'd posted this, but halfway along the first paragraph I thought, this sounds like our Aggy B., and so it was! (This isn't the first time. Your writing voice has its own character, for sure.)

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Something different from my usual stuff.
----

Henri Baptiste had been hunting the mountain lions for a week—hadn’t seen another human or had a hot meal in three days—and was happy when the tracks in the snow took him near the Buckner cabin. He was cold and tired and welcomed the chance to rest by a warm fire. With any luck, Holly Buckner might even fix him some supper. Knowing it would be easy to locate the tracks again, Henri deserted the hunt and made for the cabin.

Halfway across the clearing, he noticed the cabin door was wide open. Removing his goggles, he took a few more steps, ready to shout a greeting, expecting Martin or Holly to appear. But he froze when he saw the shattered windows covered with blankets and the bullet holes in the cabin wall. Then his gaze went to the four mounds of snow in front of the porch.

Dropping his goggles in the snow, he ran the rest of the way across the clearing, leaped over the steps onto the porch, and stepped through the doorway.

“Oh, my god!” he said. “Oh, my dear god!”

A hunter for more than forty years, Henri had killed, gutted, and dressed more animals than he could remember, but he was unprepared for what was piled on the cabin floor.

He backed out of the cabin, ran to the edge of the porch, and vomited onto the snow.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! more Del stuff!! You are soooo going to publish this. :Thumbs:

When the email came I failed to notice who'd posted this, but halfway along the first paragraph I thought, this sounds like our Aggy B., and so it was! (This isn't the first time. Your writing voice has its own character, for sure.)

Haha. Thanks. :)

Is this the opening? Interesting for sure.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
From the work in progress. Multiple histories intersecting with the present as Percy (an FBI agent) investigates a series of murders and learns that the subject of an old ghost story has a living descendant.

Even though I'm only catching the story in mid-stream, I'm hooked. Interesting, and love that last paragraph.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
----

Even if it's not the opening, this would make a great beginning to a story.

Yeah, I can see how it's different from your usual stuff.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Henri Baptiste had been hunting the mountain lions for a week—hadn’t seen another human or had a hot meal in three days—and was happy when the tracks in the snow took him near the Buckner cabin. He was cold and tired and welcomed the chance to rest by a warm fire. With any luck, Holly Buckner might even fix him some supper. Knowing it would be easy to locate the tracks again, Henri deserted the hunt and made for the cabin.

Halfway across the clearing, he noticed the cabin door was wide open. Removing his goggles, he took a few more steps, ready to shout a greeting, expecting Martin or Holly to appear. But he froze when he saw the shattered windows covered with blankets and the bullet holes in the cabin wall. Then his gaze went to the four mounds of snow in front of the porch.

Dropping his goggles in the snow, he ran the rest of the way across the clearing, leaped over the steps onto the porch, and stepped through the doorway.

“Oh, my god!” he said. “Oh, my dear god!”

A hunter for more than forty years, Henri had killed, gutted, and dressed more animals than he could remember, but he was unprepared for what was piled on the cabin floor.

He backed out of the cabin, ran to the edge of the porch, and vomited onto the snow.

Slicker than deer guts on the front porch.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it's time to contribute something here again. If I don't I'll feel like I'm just mooching off of ya'll's freebies. :)

Here's something I wrote while hiking this past weekend. Wolf spirits stole the narrator's soul and the Benti is a mystic/magical storyteller whose tale will return the narrator's soul to him. Those two and the narrator's parents are sitting outside by a fire under desert stars.

[FONT=&quot]“Where are the wolves?” Papa blurted out, interrupting the Benti’s story. “I thought this story was about wolf spirits or some such nonsense.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mama scolded and slapped him on his shoulders again and again. He scampered away from us like a dog who knows he’s misbehaved and slumped down near a tree, turning over several times in a futile attempt to get comfortable, then pulled a blanket over his shoulders, grumbling to himself. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Don’t interrupt him again,” Mama yelled one last time in a half angry, half joking voice. She put her arm around my shoulders and smiled across the fire at the Benti. “I’m sure you’ll get to the part about the wolves when you’re good and ready[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had never seen Mama so pleased with herself and wondered about the warmth inside that smile of hers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Benti chuckled, unfazed by Papa’s rudeness. The fire’s glow molded the creases of his face into deep furrows of light and shadow. I thought he would continue the story, but I was wrong. He said not again until next year on my birthday.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Why can’t you finish tonight?” I asked. Mama and I both pleaded with him to continue, but to no avail.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“There’s no rush,” he said. “Your soul is a mountain and the story is a river. You must allow the story to polish the stones of your soul until they are as round and vivid as the eyes of deer.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Papa stood up and threw his blanket onto the desert ground. “Dog farts,” he said, as he walked back into our house. “Absolute dog farts.”[/FONT]

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
Step one: get Dax to calm down and pass out. Check.
Step two: poke his face to make sure he’s really asleep. Check.
Step three: dig up the grave.
Working on it.

My youngest narrator ever digging up a grave while the dead girl's brother sleeps nearby.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From my WIP
The character has a blindfold on.
From the shifting weight on the shocks, a few new people had joined me in the vehicle, either that or they were playing musical chairs without me.

Last edited:

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I like this vignette. Malcolm and Perry are camping outside of Bear Hollow. Things haven't been well between them, though things are slowly getting better as Malcolm recovers from the dog bites (see: my most recent SYW). Perry is shaving Malcolm while they both kneel in a shallow stream.

I can't figure out if the crab is funny or annoying. Is the crab funny, or annoying?

WARNING: they're naked.

Making the font small because this is kind of long, for this thread...

/////

His eyes searched the canopy. I lifted the razor again. Both sides of his neck were denuded by this point; only a narrow strip down the middle was left. I let a narrow stream of air out between pursed lips before I set to it, while digging my toes deep into the rocks and algae and mud.

Pain. I screeched and jumped. The razor slipped. Malcolm shied away while I dumped myself onto my bottom so I could pull my foot around.

A little crab clung to my toe by one claw. It brandished the other at my nose in a show of miniscule bravado. I gave out an infuriated hoot, yanked it off, and sent it cartwheeling downstream. For an instant it hung in the air, all slimy brown back and crenellated orange underbelly, its blue pincers spread in a victory salute. Then it plopped into the stream and was gone. I looked back at Malcolm.

He had gone onto all fours in search of the razor. I crawled alongside him just as he extracted it from the flow.

“Sorry. A crab bit me,” I said.

He sat back to examine the damage to the razor. A trail of glistening bright blood ran down from the cut beneath his chin. Cords in his neck funneled it between his collarbones, so that the pendulous ruby drop at its bottom clung to the center of his chest like a gem.

“Oh, spirits. I cut you.” My thumb went to the drop to wipe it away. I sucked the mineral-warm blood off and went for more. His head bobbed down to look at his chest, then up to look at me.

“Perry.”

“Hmm?” I ran my thumb up the trail. It smeared orange.

“What are you doing?”

My thumb was in my mouth again. I lifted my eyebrows, ready to explain that the razor had nicked his neck—and then I realized. There was water all around, yet there I was lapping him up instead of rinsing him off. I contemplated my thumb for a moment before I sheepishly plunged both hands into the stream.

He patted his neck, checked his fingers, and swished them in the water. “All right. Point made, lass. I don’t want you to cut my throat.”

“I didn’t mean—“

His head tilted forward in a bearish leer. “A crab bit you, eh?”

“Pinched me.”

Blue eyes snapped. “Let me see.”

“There’s no mark. I saw when—

Dog teeth showed. “Let me see.”

“Well, dickens,” I huffed. “If you really want to.” I sat on my bottom again and extended the appendage in question. He caught it and held it fast.

“Where?”

“Second toe. The tip.”

He rumbled while he searched its macerated folds. “I don’t see a mark.”

“It was just a little crab.”

“Excuses,” he said, and then—so quickly that it was over before I had chance to enjoy it—pressed his lips to the offended digit. They were warm and soft and whiskery against the dripping chill of my own flesh. My toes involuntarily curled against his cheek before he returned my foot to the water, leaving me with my knees slightly parted, the stream’s flow eddying between my legs, and my weight resting backwards on my hands. The position displayed my breasts—which were distinctly perky from cold and excitement—to best advantage.

He did look at them then, without dissimulation. I looked back at him. His man-parts floated placidly in the pool of still water between his thighs. Water glistened in his chest hair. A fresh rivulet of blood ran down his neck.

My heart beat in my ears. Warm prickles tingled over my skin in spite of the river water. “What are you thinking?” I asked.

“I’m thinking that I’m glad this water is cold.”

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I think the crab provides the right level of distraction, and toward the end we're becoming very distracted indeed :D

(The floating body parts is just priceless!)

Second that. A very different tone from the shaving scene I posted a while back, and I love the humour that then distils down into something all tense and suppressed and horny :D

And the last line is a fantastic finish :Clap:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
This is a scene from the original-original-five-rewrites-ago version of the WIP, which I copy/pasted into the current version and adapted it slightly to fit. But I don't think it does anymore, so it'll probably be cut :(

Anxious as he was about the pharaoh, Djehuty hadn’t given much thought to his own safety at the festival. But as he dressed in his parade uniform that morning, Yamunedj’s warning from last night came back to him. On impulse, he went to the chest at the foot of his bed and prised up the vaulted lid. He had to rummage in the bottom for what he sought, which hadn’t seen the light of day in years. “Take this,” he said to Butehamun as he lifted it out, still in its wrappings.

Butehamun relieved him of the large, awkwardly shaped item, and laid it on the bed. When he peeled away the layers of linen, the inner ones soaked with oil, the lamplight glinted off polished bronze.

“I don’t remember ever seeing this,” the steward said as he frowned down at the solid breastplate. It was moulded to resemble lean musculature, with ornate tooling on the pectorals. Nothing like the leather or linen corselets Egyptian army officers wore. “It certainly didn’t belong to your father.”

“He never wore it,” Djehuty said. “He told me it was a gift from the king of Sparta. On his return from making war on the Anatolians, the king’s ship was blown off course and beached near my father’s estate in Tanis. My father provided food and wine for King Menelaus and his men while their ship was being repaired, and when he left they exchanged gifts. This is the armour Menelaus wore when he fought the prince of Troy.”

“It looks like it’s never been worn,” Butehamun said sceptically.

Djehuty smiled as he admired the antique. It was true there wasn’t a scratch on it. “Well, to tell the truth I think my father traded for it with a Cretan pirate, who probably looted it from a temple, but it made a nice story. Help me on with it.” He held up his arms while his steward fitted the moulded plate to his torso, then turned so that he could secure it in place.

“If you ask me, they only made half a job of it,” Butehamun muttered as he began to fasten the straps across his unprotected back.

Djehuty shook his head. “Spartans never wear a back plate, because they never show their back to the enemy. Considering how many people I suspect are just waiting for a chance to stab me in it, it is a principle I wholeheartedly embrace.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
@Katharine: beautiful and sexy. Loved this part--
“Excuses,” he said, and then—so quickly that it was over before I had chance to enjoy it—pressed his lips to the offended digit. They were warm and soft and whiskery against the dripping chill of my own flesh. My toes involuntarily curled against his cheek before he returned my foot to the water, leaving me with my knees slightly parted, the stream’s flow eddying between my legs, and my weight resting backwards on my hands.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Enjoying the heck out of this thread of late. Hoo doggie.

A little snippet, just to be sociable. :) Male narrator, fyi.
You look at me the way you do, strong arms crossed against that chest, shaking your head just a little but I see it, you know I see it. I deserve that look from you, eyes so dark I don’t know what you’re thinking. What are you thinking, Max? For Christ’s sake, tell me. Never mind, I already know. You want to hurt me, that’s what you’re thinking. Because I need it.

Almost as much as y
ou do.