Favorite lines you've written

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
“Okay.” Kiki said and I knew I had him. “I’ll play. Who are you?”

“Estrella, Billy Estrella.“ Billy Star, trust fund boat bum aka D*E*A*Dco SA, Code Name The Dragon, permanently undercover, and I‘m going to blow you down, boy.

AKB

Registered
Reaction score
Well this is a mind blower. I honestly haven't been to this site in years and because I'm trying to kill some time at work I thought I'd check in. Lo and behold I find this thread I started here in 2008 is still pumping. Way to go gang. Anyway, here's a paragraph for you from a book I let sit while I worked on some non-fiction. Finally cleaned it up and am going to start shopping it around. Enjoy.

“What do you expect?” Remmy snapped back, as much as he ever snapped. “You’ve got the whole world out there in a state of suspended fucking animation depending on us to keep them alive. What we’re doing has no road map. Climbing Mount Everest is like a church social compared to this shit. All those tests they did on us before they decided we were capable of going into this twisted funhouse without any guarantee of coming out the other side. I mean how the hell did they know what to test for? Sure, they can say we’re physically and mentally fit for the challenge but that don’t mean shit. Sure doesn’t make me feel like I’m better than anyone else. So all I got right now, all I can hold onto is this idea that in the grand scheme of things we’re meant to be here. That’s where I find my purpose. God knows all those bastards blissfully sleeping away in those pods up there could give a rat’s ass whether or not we’re pumped up and raring to go when we show up at work every day. The only way they’d ever understand the magnitude of what we’re doing is if their little virtual reality world gets boring.”

I'll say it simply - - I really like this! And, thanks for starting the thread. I posted a few lines a bunch of years ago and continued to jump in here and there to read what's going on...great stuff!

AKB

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm re-reading for what feels like the millionth time one of the chapters in the manuscript I thought I was done tinkering with and laughed at how these lines (from the end of a paragraph so may seem a bit 'off') describe exactly how I feel right now:

"To anyone who wanted to listen, Dee would have described the current state of her life as a Band-Aid being slowly and perpetually pulled off. But those words also never left her lips and instead sat scrambled in a pile like dirt waiting to be swept away as even Dee didn’t want to listen."

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
Another of my favorites:

“Besides, this is the stuff of legends. There will be songs about us! Maybe not very flattering songs, sure, but where’s your sense of adventure?”

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story due for class next Thursday and I'm working on redrafting it. The prompt was to take an old myth or story trope and redo it, which I'm actually having a blast with. These are some lines from the story that I'm actually quite happy with.

"Princesses don’t get kidnapped by dragons. We’re rescued. And then we become them."

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story due for class next Thursday and I'm working on redrafting it. The prompt was to take an old myth or story trope and redo it, which I'm actually having a blast with. These are some lines from the story that I'm actually quite happy with.

"Princesses don’t get kidnapped by dragons. We’re rescued. And then we become them."

Okay, I'm officially hooked! I love this concept. Princess Dragons FTW! (Is this the beginning of your story, or is the material from further in?)

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm officially hooked! I love this concept. Princess Dragons FTW! (Is this the beginning of your story, or is the material from further in?)

It crops up in the middle of it! They rescue princes, too, but the MC is female and doesn't have a male sibling, hence the princess reference.

I've always been fascinated in a heartbroken way by stories of people in positions of power that can't escape abusive relationships bc they're in the public eye. So I thought it'd be fun to write about a world where these big scary, fire-breathing, royalty-kidnapping dragons are former princes, princesses, kings and queens that were victims of abuse and couldn't escape, and so they were rescued by dragons, and became then them. No one ever comes after them because you assume that seeing someone being carried away by a dragon means they're going to be dead af by morning. And because they'd been in that situation, they continue the process of the rescuing.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
"Did you see what they did to Lady Liberty? Of course you didn’t, you ain’t moved from this block in 75 years,” this last was directed to Henry, “ feather eyelashes, hot pink lipstick, and blonde hair extensions. I hear she’s trying to get back to France. Not me. Let them take their shit to the fruited plain. The fruits of this city are mine, cocksuckers.”

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
"Did you see what they did to Lady Liberty? Of course you didn’t, you ain’t moved from this block in 75 years,” this last was directed to Henry, “ feather eyelashes, hot pink lipstick, and blonde hair extensions. I hear she’s trying to get back to France. Not me. Let them take their shit to the fruited plain. The fruits of this city are mine, cocksuckers.”
The lady's down but not out, Mrs. F. :)

I feel the grit. Especially love those last two lines.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The lady's down but not out, Mrs. F. :)

I feel the grit. Especially love those last two lines.

Thanks, kk. Feeling like I'm starting today with two strikes, the reminder that I'm not yet out is excellent! :)

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

LOVE this. :)

Goettsch

Registered
Reaction score
All of my favorite lines are borrowed from real life experience. That is what makes them so special to me. ^.^

Her cooking was a special kind of awful. Everything she made seemed to be covered in a greasy film that coated the tongue and repelled every attempt to get that dreadful taste out of your mouth.

LillithEve

Registered
Reaction score
All of my favorite lines are borrowed from real life experience. That is what makes them so special to me. ^.^

Same, to a great extent. It's rare that a favourite line will be a favourite line just because of craft for me. I love that description of someone's cooking (reminds me of someone I know and I like the way that touch and taste are made inextricable in it).

From my current WIP:

High school. A brown, brick building, non-descript, on the outskirts of the city. It was a school for girls of the ‘gifted’ variety and they drummed it into our heads that we were the future. They told us, with the steady, pattering certainty of rain beating against bitumen that we were tomorrow’s leaders.

It was, technically speaking, a public school, but the Principal, a severe woman with a surprising predilection for frosty pink lipstick, seemed to have convinced the Lord Mayor, a number of government officials and some exceedingly wealthy donors, that we truly were as intelligent and important as our teachers kept telling us we were.

I didn’t think too much of the privileges accorded to us at the time, but now, having met students from 'normal' public schools at University, I often wonder how she pulled the ruse off. She was a formidable woman, that's for sure, beautiful, not in the way of an actress or model, but in the way of a hawk. Savage, noble, sharp. When I try to understand it -- to really imagine how the mythos surrounding the school developed -- I always imagine her, dressed in the claret-red pantsuit she used to wear on Thursdays. She is conversing with a group of public servants: they are the future, she preaches, her frosted lips stretching into a thin smile that fails to offset her severity, These girls, they are the brightest young women in the country. I'm telling you.

And so, no expense was spared when it came to our education. Little could be done about the building itself, which, while not defective in any way, lacked the imposing mien of most Grammar Schools, but we were given the very best teachers, multiple rowing sheds in wealthiest of suburbs, a canteen with a fit-out that cost millions of dollars and a number of strange and sundry gifts including: telescopes, a farm for students to vacation at should they choose to do so, and a number of artworks by a Chinese-Australian artist valued at up to a quarter of a million dollars.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The greatest evils often spring from the best of intentions.
Laws create law-breakers; the use of force always results in resistance.
That’s the way it is with life; pain and pleasure being different sides of the same coin, one can’t exist without the other.
Without pain, there could be no pleasure; just as without down, there could be no up. People would always betray and die, the former was simple self-interest, and the later was inevitable. To live without either joy or pain, was not to live at all.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
"Course, anything bad had gone down, Jake woulda been outa there slicker’n a wet fart."

(The above is, I swear, the one sentence that has kept me dragging my feet over cutting out all the sections in my novel that are from this character's POV.)

Joscco

Registered
Reaction score
On his way down to the Verde, he'd glance in his rearview mirror at the Ponderosa pines covering the slopes of the highest mountains in Arizona before winding his way down the Mogollon Rim escarpment and passing through the sculpted, red rock outcrops around Sedona. It was spectacular country. Years later, when seeing the landscape in film and on television, he literally ached knowing he could never go back to undo some of the mistakes made when living there.

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
On his way down to the Verde, he'd glance in his rearview mirror at the Ponderosa pines covering the slopes of the highest mountains in Arizona before winding his way down the Mogollon Rim escarpment and passing through the sculpted, red rock outcrops around Sedona. It was spectacular country. Years later, when seeing the landscape in film and on television, he literally ached knowing he could never go back to undo some of the mistakes made when living there.

Nice. Intriguing last line.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
“If you don’t leave me alone so help me God I will find that cane of yours and beat you with it.”

“Stop trying to sweet talk me and stay on topic here.” He shook his head.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Some really good writing here. I love getting these glimpses into everyone's work. Keep 'em coming!

CreativeHeart75

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of really great lines folks. Here's one of mine.

There was a ruggedness to him; a strength that she didn't completely understand. He was guarded, which drove her mad with frustration yet through it all his sweet, unassuming and romantic nature won her heart.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
God, Tahiti. They’d gone back twice more in later years, but neither holiday had compared to this first one, to the simplicity of their wonder and enchantment: with the jade-and-sapphire lagoon, with the almost touchable softness of the air, with the infinite potential two young people are sometimes able to see in their future together. George smiled down at the photo, picturing the denim cut-offs Tenille had been wearing, an old midnight-blue shirt of his rolled up and knotted at the waist. You could see the collar of the shirt in the dip of the oval frame; it looked formal, almost chaste, until you noticed the childlike joy of her grin. And only George (and Lou, presumably) knew the joy had hardly been childlike, let alone chaste. He remembered the photo in its full glory: one stocky, well-muscled leg hooked around the balcony post, her groin angled into it, her left hand blurred in the motion of slapping herself on the butt, and all against that glittering-blue backdrop of the water and the sky.