The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 68218243268293308312313314315316317318
Results 7,926 to 7,940 of 7940

Thread: Favorite lines you've written

  1. #7926
    practical experience, FTW Jack Judah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Perhaps giving up, much like growing older, was not something which happened overnight. Instead, both had happened in little bits and pieces, a day at a time; they must have been giving up for years, Nefrál thought, and so had not realized it when the dream of running away had finally died. She herself had hardly noticed its passing, but then it had never been her dream in the first place.
    Some seriously heavy stuff. Hit me right in the feels. Well done.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoirSuede View Post
    There are no monsters here, only men.
    I'm hooked in seven words. Love it.
    Last edited by Jack Judah; 04-16-2017 at 04:47 AM.

  2. #7927
    The Alien Writer Thekherham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
    Posts
    351
    Favorite lines from my novel "Life Through My Eyes"


    You have fur like animals, you have a tail like animals, you eat meat like animals, you mate like animals. What does that make you?”


    The conquerors conquer, and the conquered suffer. When has it ever been any different?”
    That's Tee kee' rahm

    Say hello to my whistling dragon, Kykherhenha (and that is pronounced Kich' kee ree' nah)

  3. #7928
    practical experience, FTW TellMeAStory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful escape.
    Posts
    780
    It's 1933 and Lily, now in her early 20s is attending a formal dinner at the Goldblooms'. Nurse Cici Goldbloom is their daughter who's been nursing at the tuberculosis sanitarium where Lily also works. The stated purpose of this dinner is to honor Lily, but actually, it's to introduce Cici and Mr. Blauschild, marriage and profitable business alliances to follow. We join them mid-meal.


    ...That first course had been soup, not much of a challenge, but the second course was a severe test of Lily's study of etiquette. It seemed to be some variety of fish, chopped, formed into balls, heavily coated, and deep-fried, too big to be eaten at one bite, and too spherical to be easily dissected. "Only watch your hostess and do as she does," Mrs. Engelmann had said. But how to watch the hostess to your left if you were supposed to be conversing with the gentleman to your right?

    Mr. Blauschild took a long slow drink of water and set his goblet back on the table. "Beautiful weather we've been having, don't you think?"

    He must be waiting for their hostess to demonstrate the correct way to manage tricky fish balls. Lily agreed that this year's autumn did hold promise, and let her eye travel across the table to Phyllis Finkelstein who, from where she'd been seated, would have a good view of their hostess.

    Phyllis took up the tiny fork and knife situated horizontally above her charger plate where etiquette books said a dessert spoon should lie. Would that be Mrs. Goldbloom's endearing little habit of inventing her own rules, or was Phyllis in error?

    Nurse Cici, though further down the table, might be a better model. Lily let her eye wander in that direction, and as she did, Cici lifted her napkin to cover a cough. It wasn't a loud or particularly harsh cough, but a small and growing speck of red blossomed through her napkin in sharp contrast to its pristine whiteness.

    Then, probably because Lily was looking, Mr. Blauschild looked, and because Mr. Blauschild was looking, both Mr. and Mrs. Goldbloom looked. And because so many others were looking, the rest of the guests looked too. Cici froze, staring out over her red-stained napkin, and a silence settled over the table.

    Lily could only imagine what her fellow diners were thinking. Before their eyes, Cici Goldbloom would be transforming from the still-eligible daughter of a successful businessman into an overdressed specter of mortality. Her slinky sleeveless dinner gown would no longer speak of sophisticated elegance as its arm holes, cut fashionably low, exposed, they'd be noticing now, washboard ribs. And her hair, fashionably bobbed, would be revealing the elongated gauntness of her neck.

    Mrs. Goldbloom, in her role of example-setting hostess, would--and she did--resolutely ring her little silver bell for the next course.

    But Mr. Goldbloom rose from his chair and all but ran from the room, and the guests, white-faced, every one, followed--not their hostess's example, but the host's.

  4. #7929
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by TellMeAStory View Post
    It's 1933 and Lily, now in her early 20s is attending a formal dinner at the Goldblooms'. Nurse Cici Goldbloom is their daughter who's been nursing at the tuberculosis sanitarium where Lily also works. The stated purpose of this dinner is to honor Lily, but actually, it's to introduce Cici and Mr. Blauschild, marriage and profitable business alliances to follow. We join them mid-meal.


    ...That first course had been soup, not much of a challenge, but the second course was a severe test of Lily's study of etiquette. It seemed to be some variety of fish, chopped, formed into balls, heavily coated, and deep-fried, too big to be eaten at one bite, and too spherical to be easily dissected. "Only watch your hostess and do as she does," Mrs. Engelmann had said. But how to watch the hostess to your left if you were supposed to be conversing with the gentleman to your right?

    Mr. Blauschild took a long slow drink of water and set his goblet back on the table. "Beautiful weather we've been having, don't you think?"

    He must be waiting for their hostess to demonstrate the correct way to manage tricky fish balls. Lily agreed that this year's autumn did hold promise, and let her eye travel across the table to Phyllis Finkelstein who, from where she'd been seated, would have a good view of their hostess.

    Phyllis took up the tiny fork and knife situated horizontally above her charger plate where etiquette books said a dessert spoon should lie. Would that be Mrs. Goldbloom's endearing little habit of inventing her own rules, or was Phyllis in error?

    Nurse Cici, though further down the table, might be a better model. Lily let her eye wander in that direction, and as she did, Cici lifted her napkin to cover a cough. It wasn't a loud or particularly harsh cough, but a small and growing speck of red blossomed through her napkin in sharp contrast to its pristine whiteness.

    Then, probably because Lily was looking, Mr. Blauschild looked, and because Mr. Blauschild was looking, both Mr. and Mrs. Goldbloom looked. And because so many others were looking, the rest of the guests looked too. Cici froze, staring out over her red-stained napkin, and a silence settled over the table.

    Lily could only imagine what her fellow diners were thinking. Before their eyes, Cici Goldbloom would be transforming from the still-eligible daughter of a successful businessman into an overdressed specter of mortality. Her slinky sleeveless dinner gown would no longer speak of sophisticated elegance as its arm holes, cut fashionably low, exposed, they'd be noticing now, washboard ribs. And her hair, fashionably bobbed, would be revealing the elongated gauntness of her neck.

    Mrs. Goldbloom, in her role of example-setting hostess, would--and she did--resolutely ring her little silver bell for the next course.

    But Mr. Goldbloom rose from his chair and all but ran from the room, and the guests, white-faced, every one, followed--not their hostess's example, but the host's.
    Are you sure you're in the correct thread?

  5. #7930
    professional dilettante Lakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    23
    Here are a few favorite lines from my project. It's a lovely little boost for the ego to find I've turned a pleasing phrase or got a line of dialogue just the way I want it. And it's even more of a boost to go through the manuscript and find enough of them that are pleasing enough to share here - more than I've chosen for this post.

    --

    "Is the Saddle River set serving martinis at kids' birthday parties these days?"
    "Christ, I hope so."

    --

    "Miss Gansevoort, I remember you--the New York girl with the New Amsterdam name."

    --

    Over their heads, a steam-horn blared, and Grace started. The din of the ferry's engine took on a new pitch as it shifted gears and the boat began to slow in the water. Grace turned toward the bow and saw the statue looming above and ahead of them, the stone-gray solidity of its pedestal, the green-gray folds of its gown. For a moment she envied the statue for its strong, fixed footing on the pedestal, its permanence, its sureness of purpose as it stood sentry over the harbor.

    Then, she laughed at herself.

    --

    She felt suspended now, as in the silent, significant moment after a match is struck, the instant before the flame leaps to life with its bright, tiny roar.

    --


    Eddie reddened. Why was she demurring all of a sudden? Just because of Ruby? "I just--I just don't think it would feel right, you know? I'd be thinking about her, instead of you."

    "Yeah, and I'd be thinking about Jane Goddamn Russell. I don't give a crap who you think about, Gansevoort."
    Last edited by Lakey; 04-21-2017 at 08:57 PM.

  6. #7931
    The Alien Writer Thekherham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
    Posts
    351
    Another favorite line from "Life Through My Eyes"

    Wishes are for fools and dreamers.
    That's Tee kee' rahm

    Say hello to my whistling dragon, Kykherhenha (and that is pronounced Kich' kee ree' nah)

  7. #7932
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2
    1 from today.

    He waited, wordless, and gazed with expectation at the stonecut staircase which ran across the cliffside, like drunken handwriting chasing the sunrise.
    Last edited by Infinitude; 04-21-2017 at 10:49 PM.

  8. #7933
    writer, rider, reader...ex-pat! BethS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the land of cheese and chocolate
    Posts
    10,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Are you sure you're in the correct thread?
    Some of us do occasionally post longer passages here.

  9. #7934
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    Perhaps giving up, much like growing older, was not something which happened overnight. Instead, both had happened in little bits and pieces, a day at a time; they must have been giving up for years, Nefrál thought, and so had not realized it when the dream of running away had finally died. She herself had hardly noticed its passing, but then it had never been her dream in the first place.
    It's intense and straight forward. I really like this.

  10. #7935
    practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by TellMeAStory View Post
    It's 1933 and Lily, now in her early 20s is attending a formal dinner at the Goldblooms'. Nurse Cici Goldbloom is their daughter who's been nursing at the tuberculosis sanitarium where Lily also works. The stated purpose of this dinner is to honor Lily, but actually, it's to introduce Cici and Mr. Blauschild, marriage and profitable business alliances to follow. We join them mid-meal.


    ...That first course had been soup, not much of a challenge, but the second course was a severe test of Lily's study of etiquette. It seemed to be some variety of fish, chopped, formed into balls, heavily coated, and deep-fried, too big to be eaten at one bite, and too spherical to be easily dissected. "Only watch your hostess and do as she does," Mrs. Engelmann had said. But how to watch the hostess to your left if you were supposed to be conversing with the gentleman to your right?

    Mr. Blauschild took a long slow drink of water and set his goblet back on the table. "Beautiful weather we've been having, don't you think?"

    He must be waiting for their hostess to demonstrate the correct way to manage tricky fish balls. Lily agreed that this year's autumn did hold promise, and let her eye travel across the table to Phyllis Finkelstein who, from where she'd been seated, would have a good view of their hostess.

    Phyllis took up the tiny fork and knife situated horizontally above her charger plate where etiquette books said a dessert spoon should lie. Would that be Mrs. Goldbloom's endearing little habit of inventing her own rules, or was Phyllis in error?

    Nurse Cici, though further down the table, might be a better model. Lily let her eye wander in that direction, and as she did, Cici lifted her napkin to cover a cough. It wasn't a loud or particularly harsh cough, but a small and growing speck of red blossomed through her napkin in sharp contrast to its pristine whiteness.

    Then, probably because Lily was looking, Mr. Blauschild looked, and because Mr. Blauschild was looking, both Mr. and Mrs. Goldbloom looked. And because so many others were looking, the rest of the guests looked too. Cici froze, staring out over her red-stained napkin, and a silence settled over the table.

    Lily could only imagine what her fellow diners were thinking. Before their eyes, Cici Goldbloom would be transforming from the still-eligible daughter of a successful businessman into an overdressed specter of mortality. Her slinky sleeveless dinner gown would no longer speak of sophisticated elegance as its arm holes, cut fashionably low, exposed, they'd be noticing now, washboard ribs. And her hair, fashionably bobbed, would be revealing the elongated gauntness of her neck.

    Mrs. Goldbloom, in her role of example-setting hostess, would--and she did--resolutely ring her little silver bell for the next course.

    But Mr. Goldbloom rose from his chair and all but ran from the room, and the guests, white-faced, every one, followed--not their hostess's example, but the host's.
    I like this a lot.

  11. #7936
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Brandinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    I'm really liking this passage, and it seems to have stood out as a favorite among my early readers:

    Nose may not have actually slapped Digsby in the face, but his words on the other hand, did. He was flabbergasted. “Magic?” he asked, swallowing hard.
    “Magic,” said Nose, nodding.
    “Are you serious?”
    “As serious as a dragon massacre, I’m afraid.”
    If you have any doubt as to the seriousness of a dragon massacre, you need only ask the people of Novem. Except for the fact that you can’t, as they are now all dead.
    Last edited by Brandinian; 04-25-2017 at 03:24 AM.

  12. #7937
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
    lol, this is actually a pretty weird one, but amoung my friends it's the first thing we say when we think of the character:

    The three girls were cross-legged on the floor, a deck of cards and some chips laid out on the floor. Maufuki looked furtively over her cards at Lara. "You got any three's?"

    "Maufuki!!!" Both girls cried out; Aklana grabbed the "T-Virus" Manual and smacked her over the head with it. (Maufuki cried out 'ow' again, and said "That hurt worse than the 'Time Machine!!' ") "That is NOT how you play poker!!!"
    Lol, the scene is funny enough, made me laugh, thanks for sharing it.,

  13. #7938
    writer, rider, reader...ex-pat! BethS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the land of cheese and chocolate
    Posts
    10,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandinian View Post
    I'm really liking this passage, and it seems to have stood out as a favorite among my early readers:

    Nose may not have actually slapped Digsby in the face, but his words on the other hand, did. He was flabbergasted. “Magic?” he asked, swallowing hard.
    “Magic,” said Nose, nodding.
    “Are you serious?”
    “As serious as a dragon massacre, I’m afraid.”
    If you have any doubt as to the seriousness of a dragon massacre, you need only ask the people of Novem. Except for the fact that you can’t, as they are now all dead.
    I really like this.

  14. #7939
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Brandinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by BethS View Post
    I really like this.
    Haha, wow! It's funny how something as small as this compliment can mean so much. I'm grinning from ear to ear. Such is the life of an artist who constantly craves validation! Haha, thank you!

  15. #7940
    writer, rider, reader...ex-pat! BethS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the land of cheese and chocolate
    Posts
    10,047
    You're welcome!

Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 68218243268293308312313314315316317318

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search