Favorite lines you've written

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
Panda, thanks for posting that. I remember reading the opening lines. Now I get to see more.

Your narrative style is so inviting. I just want to keep reading and reading.

Indeed, that's a very fun, very engaging selection, PandaMan. Love the style!

Thanks BethS and Corsairs! That was the first scene I wrote when I started the novel. Of course, the first several dozen tries were garbage and not fit for public consumption. :greenie

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
There's been some awesome examples of writing for the past couple pages. You guys are great. Here are some various lines from my WIP that I especially like.

Those are all beautiful, PandaMan. The strength of poetry in the precision of prose.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
Those are all beautiful, PandaMan. The strength of poetry in the precision of prose.

Hey, I like that line. It's going into my favorite quotation Word doc. Thanks Twick.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
This scene got to me a bit.

--------

Cojl’s chest became tighter and tighter. And his feet felt like heavy stones he lifted with his legs. Ahmur, he could not do this anymore. He dreaded to see what they had done to his Deria. To find out if she was alive or dead. Tears rolled down his cheeks and he wiped them away. For months, he could not seem to stop wiping them away, and his nails had cut all over his face.

He stopped and leaned on his knees, panting. He closed his eyes, letting his tears run and drop to the earth.

“Cojl,” said Satri, gently. “Cojl, we have to keep moving.”

Cojl shook his head, every breath stretching his throat and chest. “I cannot, I cannot. I am too scared.”

“A Muta fears nothing, Cojl.”

“It is a lie. A Muta fears the most. That is why they do not tie themselves down to anything or anyone. They fear to lose, and now, for the first time in my life, I understand them.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
This scene got to me a bit.

--------

Cojl’s chest became tighter and tighter. And his feet felt like heavy stones he lifted with his legs. Ahmur, he could not do this anymore. He dreaded to see what they had done to his Deria. To find out if she was alive or dead. Tears rolled down his cheeks and he wiped them away. For months, he could not seem to stop wiping them away, and his nails had cut all over his face.

I'm intrigued by the names of your characters. Where did you come up with those?

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
I love the first 4 especially... so dark, yet humorous, especially the cockroaches and the lizards...

Thanks Ravioli! There's lots of creepy crawling critters around Florida to draw inspiration from. :greenie

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I came down with a cold and haven't been able to write for a week, but looking back I found a nice-ish couple of lines.
--------------------------------------------------------
And the barrier, that immaterial wall, was winning. The storm heaved against it, throwing all out all the jagged energy it had, but each crash fed into the great stillness. The barrier was eating the storm, consuming the terrible power, and in its wake, all the lights were reigniting, lights I never knew existed bursting forth from the darkness in great white flames.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
I was quite taken by your opening scene Pandaman. Opening scenes are HARD! So good on you for starting with a bang. I would definitely keep reading.

Lillith1991, I liked it. Humorous, yet slightly dark. One of my favorite combinations.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
From my current WIP. Romantic fantasy, but I throw in comedy where I can :D

When I was ten I had a teacher who was always imploring us to look into the future. He was always looking three steps ahead so naturally he thought his students should do the same. He had once instructed the class to write a realistic paper on where we saw ourselves in ten years.

Sitting at my table drinking a beer across from a demonic entity who had once tried to kidnap me and thrown several rather large steak knives at my lying cheating boyfriend’s head had not been one of the three key points I had laid out in the essay.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the names of your characters. Where did you come up with those?

Thanks!

I made them up! And it took forever before I decided. I'm very picky and dislike naming because it's so hard to get the right feeling. Satri, I figured out almost immediately. Cojl, on the other hand, went through about five name changes. He started out as Johl. All I know is that I didn't want the names to sound western. So there's some middle eastern influence there. Although Cojl sounds more Latin American to me. Deria is a Persian name and Ahmur is Arabic and can mean will or fate or command.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is actually good, or it just gets me because I'm so invested in the characters... but it's definitely one of my favorite passages, whether or not it's actually my best. Quick setup - narrator is 16. Liz is her lifelong BFF, from whom she is currently estranged. This moment comes as she's watching her Dad and two young siblings, sitting with Dad's future second wife (Mom died 2 years prior).

I really understood then, for the first time, that one day I would be moving out and moving on… and when I did, the life of the family in our home – my home – would continue on without me. And hard on the heels of that realization came a memory of Liz and me sitting just like that with Mom and Dad when we were about seven, eating overcooked fries like they were fine cuisine and laughing over absolutely nothing. I could feel the echo of that laughter in my chest, but it somehow came out as tears. I stood in the middle of the food court, laughing and crying and suddenly, desperately missing my friend, as if she had flown to Mars or something and was never coming back to me again.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
I'm not sure if this is actually good, or it just gets me because I'm so invested in the characters... but it's definitely one of my favorite passages, whether or not it's actually my best. Quick setup - narrator is 16. Liz is her lifelong BFF, from whom she is currently estranged. This moment comes as she's watching her Dad and two young siblings, sitting with Dad's future second wife (Mom died 2 years prior).

I really understood then, for the first time, that one day I would be moving out and moving on… and when I did, the life of the family in our home – my home – would continue on without me. And hard on the heels of that realization came a memory of Liz and me sitting just like that with Mom and Dad when we were about seven, eating overcooked fries like they were fine cuisine and laughing over absolutely nothing. I could feel the echo of that laughter in my chest, but it somehow came out as tears. I stood in the middle of the food court, laughing and crying and suddenly, desperately missing my friend, as if she had flown to Mars or something and was never coming back to me again.

Aaawwww. Okay, maybe I've had a bit too much champagne today, but I was really touched by that. If it's all that good, it's a sure winner.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
There's been some awesome examples of writing for the past couple pages. You guys are great. Here are some various lines from my WIP that I especially like.

I want to say that I saw this before, but I was disoriented at the time (first day back after being gone for years)and didn't get to say how impressed I was. I couldn't pick a favorite, either. You certainly have a talent for this. Bravo.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
I was quite taken by your opening scene Pandaman. Opening scenes are HARD! So good on you for starting with a bang. I would definitely keep reading.

Lillith1991, I liked it. Humorous, yet slightly dark. One of my favorite combinations.

Thanks ohheyyrach77! Yes, openings are hard. I have over two dozen of them in my WIP, and that's why I often hang out on the First Three Sentences Thread. That thread has been enormously helpful to me.

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
Aaawwww. Okay, maybe I've had a bit too much champagne today, but I was really touched by that. If it's all that good, it's a sure winner.

Hey, bamboo wine cures anything and everything. BTW, what are you celebrating?

I want to say that I saw this before, but I was disoriented at the time (first day back after being gone for years)and didn't get to say how impressed I was. I couldn't pick a favorite, either. You certainly have a talent for this. Bravo.

Thanks southernwriter!

There was So. Much. Noise. Her own heart pounding in her ears. Her ragged breath. Kamikaze mosquitoes loud as crop dusters. Birds chattering. Cicadas drilling. Crickets praying. Frogs croaking. A hurricane of cacophony encircled her like a spell. Furious roaring thumping thundering sound. Whipped into a vortex, the noise raged upward, a spiraling crescendo of pandemonium escalating higher and higher and fulminating in flashes of heat lightning on the horizon.

And then, instantly, there was silence. Overhead the boughs creaked and the leaves shivered, stirred by a single hot breeze.

Vanessa sank to the ground, scraping her back against the rough bark of a tree.

Mrs. Panda and I are going hiking in the Everglades this weekend. I'll have to prepare for those kamikaze mosquitoes. Man-oh-man they're so viscous down there, they're like flying crocodiles!

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Mrs. Panda and I are going hiking in the Everglades this weekend. I'll have to prepare for those kamikaze mosquitoes. Man-oh-man they're so viscous down there, they're like flying crocodiles!
PandaMan, we were just there, not two weeks ago!!! I think you'll be okay, those mosquitos are full now, with our compliments... :)

Last edited:

Whiskey_Black

Registered
Reaction score
Her eyes narrowed. One hand resting on his shoulder while the other reached down grabbing his crotch. Tilting her head she moved in closer, lips brushing against his ear.

"Your balls are still there. So, why are you suddenly acting like a little bitch?"

PandaMan

Registered
Reaction score
PandaMan, we were just there, not two weeks ago!!! I think you'll be okay, those mosquitos are full now, with our compliments... :)

Apparently they weren't full after all. I'll just say we gave blood and did our part to further the ecological health of the Everglades. :greenie