A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 327 of 327 FirstFirst ... 77227252277302317321322323324325326327
Results 8,151 to 8,174 of 8174

Thread: Favorite lines you've written

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    “The prophecy must be fulfilled, Saga. The Dark Witch will die, yes, but what’s a chosen one without a prophecy? If the Prophecy is fallible, then any old peasant could fulfill it. It makes us less special Saga, and if you haven’t noticed, chosen ones become quite famous."

practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancon View Post
    the first thought I had seeing the two of them was you couldn't find two more different looking and acting people in one room. Malcolm with his pale color and fancy manner and loud ways, and Lacy with his face and hands the shade and color of the rainy side of a tree and his...
    "color the rainy side of a tree" - what a neat phrase!

Learning to read more, post less
    thanks! every now and then we all get lucky.

Roughdragon: “...what’s a chosen one without a prophecy?"
    DanielSTJ "...nature is alive; we just need to dig for it."
    flowerburgers: I stared at her, trying to imagine myself in her position, how it would feel to lose the world...
    The Otter: Eye contact is too intimate--it's as though we have our hands in each other's guts, feeling around where it's tender and bloody--but I force myself to hold his gaze.
    Yep, love this thread.
    From MY FRIEND MIKE:
    Her lips were perfect, too: upper and lower lips equally soft, equally plump.
    “That day she’d painted them fiery red to match her nail polish,” Mike said.
    I kept my eyes closed and pictured her plump, fiery red lips and her chin: small, but not too small. Her cheeks were dusted a pale pink. Her long, graceful neck swept out to a graceful, delicate collar bone. The rest of her body was pale, slender, and softly rounded.
    “That day, she smelled like baby powder, vodka, and something else: musky, I know now, but back then I didn’t because I was only four.”
    “Almost five,” I reminded him.
    I knew he smiled at that. Mike liked it when I noticed important details in his stories.

/kk's blog will return/

practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar
    Aelfinn reflects on the girl he fell in love with:

Of course, she could be in Deepstream by then, helping the people devastated by the war. Probably spending her evenings dancing with the son of Lathel Blaekhammr. She’ll smile as they dance and giggle at his jests. He’ll speak to her with that soft voice meant only for her and in those moments the world will be theirs.

figuring it all out
    From a wip, scene is from a mike boat being shot up after getting trapped in a narrow canal near the Mekong river in 1969:

It was after midnight when a new burst of fire shattered the silence and Bobby Jack heard a scream and then something, no, someone, had fallen down in the well deck with him. It was the gunner who had been working the M-60.
    “Shit. That ain't good,” he thought. He knew that he didn't know the first thing about firing the 60, so he would be of no help there. He waited for the other gunner to give him some guidance. He was feeling awfully lonely now.
    The sailor who had fallen down in the space with him hadn't made a sound and Bobby Jack assumed he was dead. There was nothing he could do for him either alive or dead, so he kept watching for movement and calling as quietly as he could up to the other gunner's mate, hoping for an answer each time. For the next hour or so he figured he was alone among the living. He was feeling so scared he thought he might piss or shit on himself anytime now. If he could. He realized he had discovered the “pucker power,” that other sailors joked about. It actually existed he now discovered. “Wow.” He wondered if he would ever be able to shit again. That was of course if he happened to live through this little adventure.
    He kept calling up to the gunny every now and then, praying for an answer. He didn't want to be here alone. He didn't want to die tonight. Not here and not alone. He wondered if Nettie Ruth was alone tonight.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin flowerburgers's Avatar
    I'm cutting this from my book and I'm sad to lose it so I'll share. In re: the Kennedy assassination:

"On that day, in Dallas, were there birds to be seen? I can’t imagine a single pigeon. When I remember at all, I think of the things my brother taught me: how to tell a gunshot from a firework, how to feel danger in your bones before your mind can register it, how to be cold as the fog that swallows the city. John Kennedy’s hands jerk automatically towards his head."

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin flowerburgers's Avatar
    braveboy I like that. Vietnam factors into my WIP too. Have you done a lot of research? My character is a veteran, but I haven't developed that aspect of his past very deeply yet.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerburgers View Post
    braveboy I like that. Vietnam factors into my WIP too. Have you done a lot of research? My character is a veteran, but I haven't developed that aspect of his past very deeply yet.
    i WAS THERE. DOES THAT HELP?

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    During my writing tonight I came up with something that I really liked. Here it is, raw and unedited:

Then, closing her eyes, she kissed him. It was more than a peck—even the word kiss did not describe what it meant to her. It was as if her soul was flowing from her lips, like a fountain uncovered in the wilderness with a single flower that had lived through the toils of time. When his lips met hers it was if, for a moment, nothing else matted in the world. Her heart met his and she nearly gasped for breath, but instead she embraced him with her skin—passionately, tenderly and entirely.
    Vivere militare est.

practical experience, FTW vicky271's Avatar

I snap my dagger back into its case, "Are you some sort of small, mutated boar?"
    Current Work of Fiction
    Something with no title.

Current Book Obsession
    None worth mentioning.

Currently Reading
    None worth mentioning.

Next Book...
    ------------

Blog

The Writer's Shelf: https://thewritersshelf.wordpress.co...ity-mindspace/

Couple from my current WIP that raised a smile...

A saloon owner's reaction to some native americans coming into his establishment and asking for a room, adding that they have money to pay for it...

“I don’t give a hard f**k in a gentle breeze what you got, son. We don’t serve no bare assed savages in Milt’s.”

A sheriff musing on his keen but inexperienced young deputy...

He might have been wetter behind the ears than a grizzly in salmon season, but Bradley was no dummy.
    Last edited by D.A Watson; 11-30-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Amazon UK | Amazon US | Facebook | @davewatsonbooks

"If at first you don't succeed, aff wi the bunnet and in wi the heid."

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PickleHeartsBooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerburgers View Post
    I'm cutting this from my book and I'm sad to lose it so I'll share. In re: the Kennedy assassination:

"On that day, in Dallas, were there birds to be seen? I can’t imagine a single pigeon. When I remember at all, I think of the things my brother taught me: how to tell a gunshot from a firework, how to feel danger in your bones before your mind can register it, how to be cold as the fog that swallows the city. John Kennedy’s hands jerk automatically towards his head."
    I like

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PickleHeartsBooks's Avatar
    When she stopped Aarik’s heart, it was like she could feel it stopping, but not as if she could feel it under her palm, or feel it as if it were in her chest. She could just feel it like it was something suddenly missing from the room. When she killed the man who murdered Kye, she felt his heart stop all around her, in the darkness of the night. She felt it in the lamp lights inside the train station, and she felt it in her chest like she was having trouble breathing. She felt his heart stop as if it was connected to the world spinning, as if it were connected to her being a human being, and it made her feel so insignificantly small.

The One Who Tells The Story relletyrots's Avatar
    Where stories are born, and dreams are put to bed.
    Hours flew by in optimistic anticipation, unmarred by the apathy of fact. As time went and his mind soared, a sense of certainty developed; a causality without cause. The plan must work, yet it was sure to fail, a desperate act of a lonely child, thirsty for love and fed up with injustice. He saw this, yet he turned his back to the ugly truth, staring into a sullen future. The plan had to work, not due to ingenuity or skill or blessing, but because it was the only plan. Losing would mean there were no ladders, only shovels to dig a deeper hole. Phyl had hope, not because he believed, but because he didn't.

From my current WIP. It really got to me, so I thought I'd share.

practical experience, FTW
    My favorite recent line was a editing mistake, not anything I wrote intentionally, but it cracked me up. I saw it in the next read through --

It was something like "Her forehead eyes crinkled" ... now the image of 'forehead eyes' is cracking me up again.

practical experience, FTW indianroads's Avatar
    Violence never really has a purpose, it only feeds on itself and burns everything in its path; it is a malevolent mindless thing that consumes beauty, knowledge, and love as logs on a fire, leaving only the ashes of death in its wake.
    Last edited by indianroads; 12-16-2017 at 02:29 AM.

watching The Office again Ellis Clover's Avatar
    (My character is a a freelance copywriter with a precarious income)

At the slightest whiff of an economic downturn she'd instantly lose half her clients, most of whom already thought they could do her job themselves. ('Anyone can write! I could write when I was three! I dunno why they're making us outsource,' a real estate agent whose ads had previously touted 'dinning' rooms and 'quite' streets had once grumbled at her.)
    WIP #1: Track (Mystery/Thriller) 95k/90k - resting
    WIP #2: Tumble Down (Mainstream/Contemporary) - 20K/75K
    WIP #3: Stumps (Mystery/Thriller) - plotting

Real estate was an industry she’d taken for granted would be a buzz. It was paid performance art, wasn’t it? And she'd loved it at first, passionately loved it – the agents’ shiny faces and newsreader voices, the pompous excesses of its ads, its innate base soullessness – back when she’d assumed everyone was in on the joke.
    - Tumble Down

ellisclover.com

As the universe was still yawning and the would be suns hung lifeless and dark like dead flies in a spiderweb, Father spoke to my Sister and I

Just rewrote and i quite like it.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin bmr1591's Avatar
    A lot of nights, as I stare at our fire and dream about home, my mind gets wrapped up in a single thought. When you kill someone, when you watch the life fade from their eyes, do you lose a part of yourself? Do you lose something valuable you can never get back? When the Smiths killed their last boy, did a piece of their humanity die with them? And if so, are we all just dead inside?

A lot in there that I love about this little bit, especially considering the circumstances of what has happened (and hasn't happened yet).

My wife teaches and I gave her this quote while we were discussing education. I have yet to have a chance to have it work in a story, but I try nearly ever time.

"The learning is in the struggle so let them."
    I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Justobuddies View Post
    My wife teaches and I gave her this quote while we were discussing education. I have yet to have a chance to have it work in a story, but I try nearly ever time.

"The learning is in the struggle so let them."
    Ok - not really related to writing... BUT:

I was teaching a karate class this morning and I recalled something a teacher had once said to me - funny thing is I don't really recall what we were studying, but I remember what he said in his first lecture, which was:

I am going to lie to you throughout this class, because that's what teaching is. Absolute truth can't be taught or spoken, only discovered. The art of teaching is of telling a series of lies, each a bit closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    truth can't be taught or spoken, only discovered.
    Can I use that? It fits into one of my WIP projects, absolutely perfectly.
    I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Justobuddies View Post
    Can I use that? It fits into one of my WIP projects, absolutely perfectly.
    Of course. Go for it.

Page 327 of 327 FirstFirst ... 77227252277302317321322323324325326327