• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Wolfson Literary Agency (Michelle Wolfson)

feu2057

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Michelle Wolfson? From what I can tell she just started her agency sometime last December, and she seems like she has a good track record. I wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience with her before I query her.

Thanks for your help!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I got a fairly quick rejection from Ms. Wolfson. Sorry I can't help you more (although she seems like a solid agent).

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
She's been with two other agencies before starting her own. In 2005, (I think) I pitched to her at the CT Romance Writers Conference, and she asked for a partial. After sending it, I never heard back and, according to the conference organizers, neither did any of the other 50 authors she requested material from. (It was very embarrassing for the CTRW.) Michelle told organizers that she sent notes to all authors saying she had just had a baby and could not read the material. No one that I know of, ever received such a note. For being in the business for 4-6 years she has very few sales.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I found her through the new agency announcements in Writer Gazette. She used to be with Adam Chromy at Artists and Artisans, very legit agency. I queried her ...oh...a month, maybe six weeks ago, and haven't heard anything..yea or nay. No form letter, nothing. The things she was looking for seemed to be in line with my work, but no answer is a no, I suppose. But then again, I gave up on another agency after three months, but just the other day, I got a nice form rejection. Maybe Woldson is still out there somewhere, and maybe the trip out on her own didn't work for her. Who knows?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On red flag for me is that she doesn't list any clients or books sold on her homepage. None. Zip. Nada. I find that very unusual for someone who has been an agent for 4-5 years.

ETA: Here's her page at Agentquery. Also no clients or books sold.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Michelle represents a good friend of mine and she's doing a dynamite job for her. After my friend fired hot shot agent Paige Wheeler for basically ignoring her, she hired Michelle to pick up the pieces and damn, that woman rocks! I've met Michelle a couple of times in Denver at the RMFW fall conferences and was very impressed with her professionalism. She's come a long way and now has her own agency. Though fantasy isn't a genre she usually represents, she did just sell a 2-book fantasy romance book deal to Dorchester. So I queried her on my urban fantasy tonight. I'll let you all know how that goes.

elknutswife

Obsessive Email Checker
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her last month, and got a partial request within 4 days - haven't heard on it yet, but it's only been a month

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Just a quick update: Her website indicates she will be on maternity leave from May 31st, 2008 until the fall, and she won't be accepting new queries during that time.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Michelle hasn't racked up hundreds of sales, but she has made some significant ones; while she was a junior agent at the venerable Ralph Vicinanza Agency she made a major sale of a YA book at auction.

She's smart and energetic, and I'd have no hesitation about signing with her.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
On her web site she says: We will respond to all queries within eight weeks. Sometimes queries get lost in the spam filter. If you have not heard from me in eight weeks, please send a follow-up email.

So if you didn't get a response I'd try again.

S

Kiersten White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kierstenwhite.com
Michelle is my agent--I just signed with her. She's only recently getting back into the swing of things. Those of us who have had babies know it can take you out of commission for a long time.

She responded the same day to my query with a partial request, requested the full after ten days, and called me two days later with an offer.

We've only just started working together, but so far she seems very professional and I'm very excited to continue with her.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her last month, and got a partial request within 4 days - haven't heard on it yet, but it's only been a month

I got a request in about three hours. That was a year ago. Not a peep out of her since. And nothing to a follow up.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have more recent experience with/info on Wolfson?

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
One of my best friends is repped by Michelle and just loves her. She's a very proactive agent, hands on, communicative. She recently made a YA deal (not my friend's). If I didn't already have an agent I'd send her a query in a heartbeat.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have more recent experience with/info on Wolfson?

A friend of mine just signed with her. They both seem very enthusiastic about one another. :)