The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
I've been on sub for almost ten weeks and have gotten eight passes. Still waiting to hear from three from early March.

The tweets I've seen recently regarding no response means no from editors were from agents who expressed their dislike of that system and claimed they would not submit other work to those editors. I feel like at least in theory the agents and editors should all know each other well enough to give each other the courtesy of a "sorry, not for me".

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in to say a quick congrats to Quickbread!!

And (((hugs))) to everyone waiting on subs...

foxfeet

Registered
Reaction score
A cave under a rock at the bottom of the ocean
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Two months was what I was sort of thinking as a reasonable time to wait before nudging my agent to see what she's got planned for the next round. I understand no response and form response policies from agents, but it is a little surprising to hear the trend is on the rise with publishers as well. I expected some of the replies to be slow or absent I guess, but it seems plain weird to only have one response out of ten after so long. I'm trying to tell myself that no news isn't bad news yet. One or two of them could be holding it for a second read, or might not have gotten to it yet. Hopefully that's the case for all of us waiting.

@Owlie, Treehouseman & RRK - ouch. I guess it's comforting to know I'm not the only one getting nothing but radio silence and the occasional rejection.

Owlie

Registered
Reaction score
Foxfeet, there's nothing wrong with an email to your agent. "Just checking in to see if we've had any news or if you have any idea why the editors are taking so long. At this point, do we think about doing a second round?"

Yes, I know the main goal is not to sound like a Crazy Author Person, but I don't think this does. Also, eight weeks is quite a long time to wait!! I think I lasted about four weeks before sending my agent the above. If anything, it's just nice touching base to make sure a pass hasn't slipped through the cracks, etc. Or, like you said, having her/him thinking about a second round. Remember that this is your career. There's nothing wrong with a courteous, professional, check-in as long as it's not every afternoon.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hey gang: this thread is over the 20K post threshold, so I'm going to close it and start volume 2. (20K is the limit more or less, which causes older browsers and connections to toke forever to load the thread.)

ETA: Here's the link to Volume Two.

*closes the door without cleaning up the empties* Muahahahaha!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.