The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
{{YAwriter}}

And guess I should mention it here too. The Editor tweeted on Saturday about working on my revision notes, so hopefully I'll have them today! I'm terrified and excited all at once.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
that's good news, tasmin!

I'm in limbo like Callalily... no more obsessively checking the inbox after the last house passed. and my agent is back from vacation but kind of awol. I need to rewrite my proposal but am waiting for her ideas. *sigh*

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
I think I'm totally starting to understand this "circle of hell" business.
My first ever agented project went on sub recently (two weeks as of tomorrow), to ten of the big publishers. The first week I just couldn't get over how cool it was to be on sub but now I keep wondering how long this nerve-wracking process is going to take!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
James, many congratulations on being out on submission! And much good luck and best wishes too.

I've been through the process rather recently. My agent gave me some very good advice: "Pull up a chair. Get comfortable. We may be here a while..."

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you waiting on your agents to get back to you, this blog entry might be useful - kinda suggests that if you're not hearing back from agents (and I'm also including us agented lot amongst this) it's probably a good sign cos it means our agents are selling, selling, selling.... http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
*would like to be in the mountains, preferably in a dark cave with no internet access*

OK, Since my agent is a big dog and sells a lot, I will assume he is negotiating an awesome deal for me and just hasn't had time to let me know cause he wants to surprise me with its awesomeness. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

<------ often lives in her own little world like this where unicorns play with fairies all day.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*would like to be in the mountains, preferably in a dark cave with no internet access*

OK, Since my agent is a big dog and sells a lot, I will assume he is negotiating an awesome deal for me and just hasn't had time to let me know cause he wants to surprise me with its awesomeness. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

<------ often lives in her own little world like this where unicorns play with fairies all day.

Tee hee! In your case, I just think a lot of editors etc are on vaycay right now so probably taking a bit longer than usual to confirm that multi-million pound advance etc ;-)

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Judging by the silence here, it looks like July / August are dead months in publishing...? I've just done final revisions so booky wooky should be going out on sub soon but I'm thinking my agent'll holdf off till September...? Or do people gets subbed in August?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Or do people gets subbed in August?

I was subbed last July and had a deal in August, but I'm starting to think you can't really judge this year based on previous years. So many things have changed--editors being laid off, imprints folding or being consolidated, etc... I've read on a few agent blogs that they're taking August to get caught up, and then starting submissions again once September hits. *shrugs*

On the home front, my agent liked the changes I made to the new book and wants one more clean-up, copy edit. Although because my contract says my current editor gets first crack at it, we're holding off on subbing for another month or two, because she's so back-logged with work. So it's a :D and :( thing.

And review copies have started going out for Three Days to Dead, so I'll be in a constant state of worry and panic from now until November....

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Chaos, something good happened in August? I always thought all the NY book people went on vacation then. Good luck with those reviews, God the nail-biting never ends, does it?

I'm happy to be back in this circle of hell -- my agent has my revised proposal and it should be going soon -- or at least whenever everyone's back from the Hamptons :(

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm back from vacation and have about 5K of longhand edits to type up. Oy.

I also got a full request from Kr!sten W0lf. Can you say "neener"? And this was for my vampire paranormal, so there's still hope for all us vamp lovers!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Phooey on 'em, Red. But it's early days. I don't know if they start stinging any less, but you sort of get used to it. Sort of.

I actually found the agent passes more disheartening. Think of it this way: you have someone whose job it is to sell books who believes in you. I think that's a huge huge step. Now you just have to find that editor who believes in the book. Or your agent does, rather, and that's one of the best things about it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I pretty much felt comforted when my agent loved my two books and sent them out there. But after 21 months and about 26 major house passes, I was literally devastated. There were many kind things the editors said about my writing, style, pace, characters, description, yada, yada, yada. But when you realize that all of NYC has given you the finger, that's a pretty tough wad to chew. You start thinking that all the pros COULDN'T be wrong, and that you and your agent were only fooling yourselves with some idiotic delusion that we had a fair shot at this.

Them are some dues, folks. The editors, the heavy guns of the industry, hurt the most to me. That's the last gate, and I don't even know what the key looks like.

Tri

Status
Not open for further replies.