The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Calla, good luck with your story submission. Isn't Duotrope the best?

Whiporee, congrats on getting your revisions done. That's huge. Good luck!

Needlessly, welcome! What do you write? Good luck!

Sending you both wishes for a short wait with happy endings.

* passes banana bread for the wait *

Last edited:

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Not sure what magic realism she's referring to: Ramirez leaves his ghost behind when he heads off to Cuba. But hey, that's okay! I had a reviewer complain that in the second book, I hadn't mentioned Ramirez's wife who was pregnant at the end of book one. Only problem: she wasn't! There's a reference to how maybe they'll have another child someday, that's it. Which all goes to prove that the books we write aren't the ones they read ....

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Another R&R...but this one? No. It was long and extensive. She wanted me to completely re-write the heroine into one who's cliche..er, I mean one who's proven to sell. The worst part? the editor didn't even finish the story! Loved the hero and the storyline (even commented on some of the minor details that she loved), just not the heroine. If I wanted her to be a typical college student without a tortured past who *swoons* the first time she sees the hero and goes all gaga over him, I'd have written her that way. :rant:

Rant over... time for more coffee. :Coffee:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Mandy, sounds like you've got to stick to your original guns on this one. I think (tortured) inner character conflict is a vital and necessary ingredient to the storyline-MC. And instant obsession with the male? Uh, not real unique, if not atypical in most cases. I mean, damn, my characters have to fight for love and experience several roadblocks before everything is bliss. And still, I pour it on, testing their mettle.

You do what you think is important to the story, or really put up a case for your viewpoint on how the character/s should evolve.

tri:Hug2:

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Thanks y'all. :) Honestly, could I make her suggestions work? Sure. Publishing is a business, and I get that revisions are part of the deal. Been there, done that. But it'd be months before I could even get to it unless I wanted to completely change my current writing schedule. Which I don't.

On the bright side...I know what kind of story this particular editor wants. I'll be filing away that knowledge for later. ;)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Mandy, I'm in a similar situation. :) I got a very complimentary R&R from HQ Digital... last May. I can totally make the changes, that is, if I had 3-4 clear weeks.

*eyes schedule*

Um... has anyone invented 48-hour days yet? Because, HQN, yanno? But I've made commitments, and they take precedence.

If only I didn't need to eat, sleep, or do laundry. :tongue

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Mandy, I'm in a similar situation. :) I got a very complimentary R&R from HQ Digital... last May. I can totally make the changes, that is, if I had 3-4 clear weeks.

*eyes schedule*

Um... has anyone invented 48-hour days yet? Because, HQN, yanno? But I've made commitments, and they take precedence.

If only I didn't need to eat, sleep, or do laundry. :tongue

Who needs clean clothes? :tongue

Sign me up for those 48-hour days!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
(pokes head in). Hi! This is my first time posting in here. I've read through the entire thread and longed for the day I could join. I recently landed an agent and will go on submission soon. There is some editor interest already so I'm biting my fingers (because I don't have any fingernails left).

I just wanted to say that reading through this thread has really inspired me to keep going. I'm hoping for the best, but I kow it's a long process. I'm okay with that. I brought chocolate!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Tri and Calla! I'm buckled in. And now, thanks to Calla, I have whisky!!!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! (waves).

Another newb to the thread here :). I'm not yet on sub (working on another revision round for awesome agent) but I'm excited about the next stage (especially if there's plenty of chocolate and whiskey available ;)).

And LadyLex, I want to visit your avatar:D.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Never Give Up, Hellions. Never Surrender!

This was in PM's Daily Deals today:

Mystery/Crime
FORCE OF HABIT author Alice Loweecey's GUILIA FALCONE series, to Kendel Flaum at Henery Press, in a three-book deal, by Kent Wolf at Lippincott Massie McQuilkin (World English).

A bit of history: 185 queries. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. One "Yes." Edits. On sub. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Three-book deal to Midnight Ink. Contract not renewed by MI after book 3. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. More hard work by Awesome Agent and me. Several months after being dropped, Awesome Agent and I sold the series to Henery.

Thus my mantra: Never Give Up. Never Surrender!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Hester! And you're more than welcome to visit my avatar... as long as you take me with you. lol

CONGRATS Calla! That is SO awesome!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Calllllllllaaaaa!! You are a persevering goddess, and look at your reward for that. Congratulations! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Hi Hester! :welcome: Pull up a chair. Good luck with your revisions. I'm revising right now, too.

Er, I'm supposed to be...on that note, I'm off.

Status
Not open for further replies.