The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Trying not to be mopey but feeling...mopey. Do some publishers just not respond? Is there a no response = no at this level, too??? I would welcome a rejection at this point. Out on sub for almost 4 months now. 12 editors, 3 rejections, 1 interest but haven't heard back and the rest NADA.

I think it depends on how your agent works and what type of relationship he/she has with editors. Some work on a somewhat impersonal level that is similar to when we query and therefore I think it makes sense to have a few no responses (or just really long waits.)

But some get on the phone and pitch, or pitch over lunch and it's personal to the point where the editor will feel an obligation to at least respond in the affirmative or negative.

You should ask your agent how he/she is going about it.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh I'm so behind!!! Sorry you guys, things have been hectic. I will try to catch up!!!

CONGRATS TO OL AND DRGIN!!!!!

Hugs for the rejections and the silence!!!! Oh, and I love Motivational Bear!!! And we got to see the legendary spezna!!!!

I'm finishing up some edits for my agent and then I should be back on sub soon. Yayyy!! And eeeeee!!!

Washingtonienne, my book sold after six months of subbing. So it absolutely does happen.

In terms of long periods of silence from editors, i'd check in monthly with my agent and she'd do the same with them. I've heard of an occassional no response but I think it's not super common.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and I have been told the contest page is a little dark so I plan on changing that!

:)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Done and done. :D Congrats on the new website!

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, thanks!!!!

Misses, lol, thanks!!! You are too! :)

OL, sorry, instead of being smart and waiting until the end of the day to fix the dark problem, I tried to do it now. It should be back up now (still not fixed, but back up). Thanks for looking!!

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
THANKS PEGGY AND DGRIN!!!! This is my first attempt at web design so I've been very excited and very nervous!!!

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting!!!

:)

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Would you guys do me a solid? My publisher is asking readers to vote on my cover, and I'd love for you to give them your honest feedback in the comments section. Would you please tell them what you like, what you don't like, etc? The site is being wonky for some people, so if it won't let you scroll down to leave a comment, just hit the tab key, and that should work.

http://www.discoveranewlove.com/blo...utm_content=sultry-blog&utm_campaign=maketing

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Moon, very nice site! My one suggestion -- on the menu bar, the S-Word looks like "Sword" to me -- for some reason the dash doesn't stand out.

I forget why you guys are congratulating me, but thank you! It's been a crazy couple of weeks.

And now I can officially announce:

Lisa Br@ckm@nn's H0UR 0F THE RAT, a follow-up to R0CK P@PER T1GER, set once again in present-day China, in which an American expat searches for the missing brother of a fellow Iraq war vet and becomes entangled with ecoterrorists, corrupt biotech companies and eccentric billionaire art collectors, to Ju1iet Gr@mes at S0ho Press, by K@therine F@usset at Curt1s Br0wn (World English).

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Would you guys do me a solid? My publisher is asking readers to vote on my cover, and I'd love for you to give them your honest feedback in the comments section. Would you please tell them what you like, what you don't like, etc? The site is being wonky for some people, so if it won't let you scroll down to leave a comment, just hit the tab key, and that should work..

I voted for Option 2! THe tool belt is a good touch! :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I voted for Option 2, as well. The composition worked best for me. # 1 seemed to feature a picnic table more than the lovers, and #3 was too 'sweet' to be sultry.

Congrats to everyone's new milestones. I have one of my own, which lets me join the next circle: I have my contract for my first book. Now, this adventure seems real.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I thought option 2, but didn't vote because, being a guy who is not into that sort of book I didn't find any of them especially appealing. I didn't want to skew things because I fall so far outside your target demographic. Sorry :)

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
OL and Filligree, CONGRATS! Yaaaaaaay!!

Thanks for the votes and especially the comments on my proposed covers. I'm so glad people have been honest in expressing how they feel. Drachen, if you don't want to vote, that's fine, but don't let being a dude stop you. Feel free to leave them a comment about what you like/don't like anyway. It really does help.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
taylormillgirl, I voted and apparently I have bad taste as I was in the distinct minority! The book sounds great, whatever the cover..

Status
Not open for further replies.