The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, DGrintalis, Snappy, Peggy, Solunar, Mrs Brommers and OL-- and anyone else I missed.

Best of luck, MissesDash-- and as soon as you figure out how not to drop dead of sheer terror, be sure to let us all know. I'm thinking wine, lots of chocolate and some primal screaming will do it for me. ;) Very exciting news for you, hope that moves out you of hell and soon!

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Chic!!!

Hang in there Dash, sounds like you're very, very close.

I can't believe I haven't heard anything!!! What are they doing??? Where is that one special someone who will fall in love with my ms??? As Charlotte York once said "My hair hurts."

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in anything but adult fiction, or the people you work with cross over into YA/Childrens markets they're probably in Bologna.

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
Got my first R from my full at a house-- it was a complimentary R (she personally adored it, blah blah blah), but an R nonetheless. Feels like a punch to the gut, I was tempted to pull out a chocolate bar the size of my head but went to the gym and worked out instead. So now I'm dejected AND sore, a winning combination ;) I think next time I'll go for the chocolate instead.

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
Chic, that sucks. But you worked out...in my book, you earned that chocolate...I was just actually lamenting the lack of sweets in our house. Somehow Greek yogurt doesn't seem to be doing it for me on a mush of a day. :]

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, SO appreciate the support. And, thanks, st22, for the congrats :) It does hurt, but I know that Rs come fast, acceptances take longer-- so I shall stay the course.

@Noompsy-- hmmm, I think I will have some Greek yogurt, fresh berries and raw honey-- topped with a giant chocolate bar, for dinner. I'm not to be trusted with chocolate in this house-- if it's here, it is consumed IMMEDIATELY, I have zero willpower ;)

In better news-- two of the four houses that hadn't yet responded both requested fulls-- so the score is 12 reading, 4 passes (3 without reading, one after reading), and waiting on 2 responses. Onward!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Chic, it's really hard, but it sounds like things are going well. It's a story oft-told here -- my first book was on sub for over a year, and it's done pretty well for itself.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
(((Chic))) Sorry about the R. Can I come sit next to you around one of Hell's many fires when my first one comes in? Because you've got a great attitude and, let's face it, chocolate. LOL :D I haven't heard anything yet from any of the houses we're out with. Of course, it's realistically much too early to hear anything, but it doesn't stop me from compulsively checking my email. What *IS* that behavior? And who's the crazy woman looking back at me in the mirror? Oh. Wait...

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Chic, you have a huge number of houses reading it; the odds are great for you being successful. I'd say go for that chocolate!

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
@OL: Thanks, that gives me so much hope-- though I'm not sure my heart or nerves can take a whole year of this!

Thanks, Hillary!

@Mad: I'll save you a seat, you bring the wine, I'll bring the chocolate, k? Deal? :) Totally with you on the insecure insanity, this is worse than dating and checking your voicemail repeatedly to see if he called. That said, unlike dating, you don't want a quick response 'cause those are normally the Rs. So I'm going to say, you should be glad that you haven't heard back yet-- and I'll get a vat of chocolate ready should any of those houses have the audacity to not shower you with a contract and a shit-ton of cash ;)

Thanks, Peggy, since I expect a few more Rs along the way-- they're par for the course, no?-- I'm going to hold off on the chocolate for now, otherwise I'll have more chins than teeth in my new headshot, LOL. PS I'm a fellow Canadian (originally from there, at least) and I voted for you yesterday and today :)

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks DGrintalis, we crossposted-- I hope that you're right! LOVE your cover art, BTW-- it's gorg!

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Chic, I think I love you. The long-term kind of share-my-chocolate-and-wine love. :)

And thanks, DGrin. You, probably above all, know the heartache behind this book. I want to have good things come of this so very much, so thanks for the crossed fingers and toes.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Thanks DGrintalis, we crossposted-- I hope that you're right! LOVE your cover art, BTW-- it's gorg!

Thank you! I am so grateful to my editor who loved my cover art concept, and to Samhain's art department, who turned that concept into real. It's so close to what I saw in my mind's eye, it's scary. I am very, very lucky.

And thanks, DGrin. You, probably above all, know the heartache behind this book. I want to have good things come of this so very much, so thanks for the crossed fingers and toes.

And there will be good things. I'm sure of it!

:Hug2:

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
((((Chic))))
Sorry about the R.
It sucks when they say how much they love the story, but don't buy it. I mean, what do they do/say when they do take a book on? A Rodney Dangerfield Triple Lindy whilst making Meg Ryan-like orgasmic noises????
*sighs* I'm yet to know...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the editor can love a story, while being unsure of its commercial viability.

Their job is not to publish stories they love, they are there to publish stories that sell.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Ack! So much news! And me, so behind!! So let me try to get caught up!

Chic, congrats on being on sub, and sorry about the R!!! Your sub list sounds great though, and it's so true that you only need one!

Mad, congrats on going out on sub!!! Fingers crossed for you and for Chic as well!!

Misses, congrats on the second reads!!!! Hope you get great news, and soon!

MrsBrommers, best of luck on your manuscript about to be subbed!!

Peggy, I keep voting for you every time I come here!! :)

Drachen, I'm SO SORRY about your situation, but I am hoping it's an opportunity to find a much better fit, agent wise! (I messaged you!)

Snappy, sorry about the R (and sorry I am a few days late on the sorry!!!)

Dgrin, I can't even keep up with you girl! You are rockin the sales!!!
And congrats/hugs to anyone I missed!!!!

As for me, I've recently sent a new manuscript to my agent. Out of curiosity, how long does it usually take your agents to read new material? I'm sure it varies, but I am still a curious little cat! ;)

Fingers crossed for all!!!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Chic and Moonfairee for voting -- very much appreciated! I heard today that if I can win this darn thing, it might give my agent in UK a chance to do the rounds again. So please keep voting everyone - remember, you don't have to live in Canada (although it's nice to hear you were a Canadian, Chic -- once you are, you never really stop being one!).

And remember, you can vote every day!

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2012/03/the-second-annual-cbc-bookie-awards.html

How long does it take for agents to read new material? Don't know about anyone else but it took a really long time; maybe six months to get feedback on my second book?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And good luck Chic! I had 3 full R's, all very complimentary. Then I had two R&R's that were completely opposite in suggestions. I finally went with one, but I've done so much editing I barely recognize my own child~

Welp it's wednesday and I was told I'd hear by "mid-week." going to assume that means Thursday or Friday and try not to stress.

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
R #2 in my inbox-- still complimentary, but still an R. Where's that chocolate bar when I need it? Sigh.

Still waiting to hear back from 11 houses that have my full-- and 2 more than haven't yet responded to my agent's initial query from a week ago.

I only need one. I only need one. I only need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.