The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Wally, I think if you actually got negative rejections at this stage it would hit pretty hard. Also, remember that the editors and agents have long term relationships. They're not about to question your agent's judgment or insult them by saying the book isn't any good. So settle in ... try not to worry about it. I found it easier not see the passes at all, and asked not to.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hey Wally. I think it's a great environment for asking questions and, to that end, find myself seemingly asking stuff frequently. :)

On the rejection, I've asked to see them all unless they come in on Friday afternoon at 4:00. Then I don't want to know until Monday. Why spend my weekend moping? I have all week to do that when the hubster's at work. But I do want to know what they're coming back with in the event I need to do a rewrite, major or minor. I've only just gone out on submission, so I have no way to know how I'll handle the rejections. I'm sure there will be some highs and lows, though. I can only imagine that you'll find it easier to look back on after the manuscript has sold. To that effect, I wish you nothing but success and hope you'll rep me or send me a message if you just need to talk. I have a permanent seat on Ledge #9, so wander over and sit a while. We'll chat. :)

wallybruce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wallyrudolph.com
I don't mind the negative ones as much, Peggy. I've gotten a few over the entire process---People who just don't connect with the work, etc... And I learn a lot from them. I like knowing what elements effect who, know what I mean?

I think it's the ones where I let my expectations get out of control because of the track record of editor (i.e. they've edited/published similar work to mine) that really smart.

So yes, lesson learned. Relax and Settle in.

BTW, got my vote in yesterday! Good luck to you!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My first book was about eight subs on the first round. Then another round of seven followed, which isn't finished yet because one of those publishers wanted an absolute exclusive, which really hangs things up for awhile.

Second book is still out on its second round, with about 10 reads in the basket. I expect it to go another six rounds or so.

Third book got two experimental submissions to test the waters for it.

I'm allowed to sub to the smaller advance-paying mid-sized houses, but I keep it to a minimum, and tell agent who they are and when I sent the manuscript. If I find a good candidate for the book, or a new house that pays well, I tip my agent off, handing over the address/url, editor name, and guidelines. I insist on being pro-active.

Tri

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
It's soooo good to read everyone's experiences being on sub. Thanks for asking the question, Mad. And thanks for everyone that responded. Couldn't have come at a better time.

I got a rough/positive reject on Friday from a dream editor, and I've been in lousyville for the past couple of days.

Anybody else feel like it's almost worse when the rejections are really positive?? Like it would be easier to swallow if they sent out form rejections? I know, I know, any feedback is good feedback and it's a great feeling knowing that someone reads the work with care. It sure is BITTERSWEET though---have a complete new appreciation for that word ;)

Long story short: Best Agent in The World talked me down, and we're hitting it hard starting next week. Feeling lucky to have someone who always believes in my book when I get down.

Fingers still crossed for everyone!

YES! Almost every single pass praised my writing and the story, but they just "didn't fall in love with it." It was a hard sell because its a faery book, and the market is saturated. I had one editor sit on it for months, not because she wanted it, but because she really loved it yet they didn't buy that type of book! Huh?! :flag:

Its a crazy ride and thank goodness for super agents who talk you down! :) Despite the opinion of some people that agents are the devil incarnate, I wouldn't be able to do this without mine. She is amazing.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
YAwriter, I've been in that position. When I have gotten passes, they are so complimentary that it's hard not to feel gutted. I have a good relationship with my agent as well, good business partner and our personalities click, and I don't think I could do this without her. She keeps saying, "It just takes one editor. It just takes the right project."

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, you guys are great, thanks! It's certainly a nail-biter between Ian and me. Funny, we're the two new authors: the others have been around for a while and are much better known.

Sure appreciate the support!

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Eep is so right -- that fluttering stomach feeling -- EEP!

But so exciting! Some belated hoorays for you, Snappy!

Hope agent read goes well -- or went? well.

(I'm catching up. Hello, Hellions! : )

My agent is reading my MS this weekend. EEP! This is the first individual project of mine that she's reading. The one out on sub is co-written with my writing partner. *flails*

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
OL, that's a terrific review -- good for you! Can't wait to read this one!

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats OL, that's awesome! It must be amazing to see your book up there at all, much less reviewed so well!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Washintonienne (can I call you DC?), it's a weird thing and probably would take more time to explain than I have right now (I'm heading out the door to a friend's for dinner), and I hope I don't sound like an utter entitled ass for saying it. This is my second book. The first one got more attention than I'd honestly expected -- starred -- they even interviewed me in PW! NYT review. So...

This is my second time in the rodeo. Some of it feels pretty normal. Some of it still feels very weird, intimidating and wonderful. And I won't pretend that when the google alert for the PW review turned up in my inbox that my stomach didn't drop to the floor.

It's the Emo-Coaster!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
HW, thanks. Still waiting on her feedback. *bites nails*

OL, YAY! Awesome review. :D

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Mad, OL, Peggy, YAY!

I'll be voting daily now too, Peggy!

Rosie, your cover is a writer-daydreaming-about-an-amazing-cover's DREAM COME TRUE! It's beautious!

And yays, boos, and woo hoos (hopefully not boo hoos) to all who need/deserve them!

I'm in the home stretch of finishing up my next novel, getting it ready for subbing. It'll go to my publisher for first dibs, and if it doesn't find a home there, I'll be out on the sub circuit.

I'm nervous because it has a sexual/sensual element to it, my MC being a teen girl in remission on a road trip with a very cool guy, bucket list in hand. At that age, life uncertain, what *wouldn't* be on your bucket list (or teenage mind) to experience at least ONCE before you died (if you died)?

Youwrotethetruth youwrotethetruth it'sawriter'sjobtowritethetruth. That's my chant to myself. Authenticity is primo! But I blush, thinking of the pros reading it! ACK!

The characters got a little randy on me, with a story somewhat out of this prude's comfort zone! Hopefully mothers across America won't come after me with Bibles and burning torches!

However, there's a chance it won't be such a big deal to most, except for me. (Yeah, I'll take that, option B.)

It's like my two MC's overdosed on hormones and highjacked the story!

I don't know. Will be dying a little inside, when the pros read it. But I know it's right -- you know that feeling when you're in that groove and the story's snug in the perfect tract? I can *feel* it's right. : )

Hope everyone is well, hanging in, staying sane! Writing is my only sanity, some days. The only thing that quashes the anxiety/worries/what if's.

Everything crossed for everyone. Still waiting for copy edits on my sold novel.

Em

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Em, don't be afraid of writing the truth. I think authenticity is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.