The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I had to go sift through my old emails because I didn't even remember my first rejection. In fact, now that I'm out of submission, I only really remember two of them--one that loved it, but couldn't buy for genre reasons, and one that stung. And even those two, I remember less and less as time goes by.

So, on to the first rejection. It wasn't *quite* form. It said some nice things, and one "why-I'm-not-offering" type thing. And afterward, I did what you did. I thought this one rejection was going to be indicative of every response I got. But you know what? The next R said almost the exact opposite. And the next one followed suit, liking some things the others didn't and disliking things they did.

Point being, I know it's easy to think about what might be wrong with the manuscript--trust me, I did that the whole time. But it really does come down to subjectivity a lot of the time :)

I got a rejection. :( My first submission and first rejection. It was a form rejection, so there was no reason, but I think I know why. Sigh.

Would anyone like to share what they did after their first rejection? So maybe I can learn and get over this?

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Solunar,

Are you still querying agents? If so, you might find the Rejection and Dejection thread a good spot to hang out; that's where most of us started out as well.

Good luck with it! Believe me, they only sting at first; once they piled up, it does get easier and a whole lot less personal.

Hm, not querying agents. Going directly to the publishers. Been submitting short stories for now because my exams are coming up and I don't think I can handle the rejection of a whole story. Thank you. I feel a lot better now after a good night's sleep.

First of all, I had to go sift through my old emails because I didn't even remember my first rejection. In fact, now that I'm out of submission, I only really remember two of them--one that loved it, but couldn't buy for genre reasons, and one that stung. And even those two, I remember less and less as time goes by.

So, on to the first rejection. It wasn't *quite* form. It said some nice things, and one "why-I'm-not-offering" type thing. And afterward, I did what you did. I thought this one rejection was going to be indicative of every response I got. But you know what? The next R said almost the exact opposite. And the next one followed suit, liking some things the others didn't and disliking things they did.

Point being, I know it's easy to think about what might be wrong with the manuscript--trust me, I did that the whole time. But it really does come down to subjectivity a lot of the time :)

Alright, I feel a lot better now. I did some reflection and I think I know why my story wasn't accepted. It was a bit out there, and romances usually like a Happily Ever After. I'll continue writing today.

{{{{{Snappy & Solunar}}}}}

Sorry guys! :-( I hope you get better news soon!

Thank you :) I hope so too! I'm a little amazed that I do still want to write. I usually gave up other interests once I hit a wall in the past, but I don't feel like giving up on this passion.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
I surrender, I can't catch up.

So, hugs, speznas, yays, boos for all who need them.

Peggy -- I saw you answered the ? already. Cool.

Tracy -- go you! R&Rs are wonderful things. : )

Snappy -- big ol' guts-squeezin'-out-yer-mouth hugs. Hang in there, keep hanging in there. You can write. You have talent. Luck/timing/preparation/perspiration -- hang in there, so you're there when it comes.

Hope everyone is hanging in there, too! Had the flu, first time in years. Still catching up across all fronts.

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone who had to wait on submission, did you keep on with the potential series hoping for that 3-book deal or did you work on something new just in case the first book didn't make it? I'm working on books 2 and 3 for a three-book deal that might never happen and have constant, niggling doubts. They say as long as you're writing what you love you're never wasting your time, but I worry I might be wasting my time :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone who had to wait on submission, did you keep on with the potential series hoping for that 3-book deal or did you work on something new just in case the first book didn't make it?

I worked up outlines and a few chapters/some scene work for subsequent books. The problem will writing the next installments, in my mind, is that there will be changes to the first book. Possibly large changes. If your sequels depend on book one as it is now, you might find yourself rewriting large portions of them, or even tossing parts.

I find rewriting much more painful than writing new, so I do as much as I can to avoid it.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. My agent asked me to outline sequels, so I did, then I moved on to an entirely new concept novel. Shoved everything aside. 1/3 of the way into the new novel I got a bunch of notes and had to do a serious rewrite. Now I'm finally done the edits and I'll get back to work on the new book.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
After a while, I came to realize that most rejections were a variation of the same underlying message: they just weren't that into my writing. That was the same whether they said they weren't enthusiastic enough, or it wasn't the project for them, etc.

Good point, and thanks for your input on the "voice" thing, everybody — it's really helpful. In my book's case, I think there's a chance "didn't fall in love with the voice" translates to "male POVs don't sell in YA," which I could do something about. But if it actually translates to "We'd like this to sound more like Tw1light," there's not much I can do but hope other editors feel different. One friendly agent told me the book simply was not, could not be YA, and I can only hope my revisions proved her wrong.

OL, that's a great review! Makes me very curious about whatever happens at the end.

Congrats, Em and Peggy and Tracy!

After another agent told me never to query a series, I started writing everything as an ends-wrapped-up standalone. And now it seems like everything being published is a series... so I'm pondering how to open those standalones out, should I ever need to (best-case scenario!). I think that's probably easier than turning an inconclusive, cliffhanger book into a standalone.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Everyone who had to wait on submission, did you keep on with the potential series hoping for that 3-book deal or did you work on something new just in case the first book didn't make it? I'm working on books 2 and 3 for a three-book deal that might never happen and have constant, niggling doubts. They say as long as you're writing what you love you're never wasting your time, but I worry I might be wasting my time :)

On two occasions, I had a few books that my agents loved and sent out. I took it upon myself to write sequels to those books, believing that I had a sure sale in both cases. Naive, I know. Both never sold, which left me holding worthless sequels and unbought originals. I couldn't even sell the books to the small press.

So, not for me anymore. I'll wait to be asked for a sequel when the original sells. But it will have to sell big.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
My experience, for what it's worth, is that it's easier to sell a series. The publishes put a lot of money into a new author and are unlikely to get it all back with the first book by an essentially unknown quantity. With a series, they can start to build a platform for that author. But they want "stand alone" in the sense that you don't have to have read book one to enjoy book two.

Not easy, but that's the route I'd recommend. Good luck!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
The whole series thing is one of those proverbial double-sided coins. A lot of publishers want them, for all the reasons Peggy states. But I do think it's a mistake to put too much work into writing sequels before you sell the first one. I think a good way to put it in your query is that it has "strong series potential." Spend some time thinking of ideas for the next book or two but don't make yourself crazy over it.

Fuchsia, heh, thanks. I can't remember what I said about that review now, but I was incredibly gratified he "got" the ending. If I get one more advanced review on GR complaining about a "cliffhanger," well, grrrrrr!!!!! There are all kinds of clues about it throughout the book as well, and I don't mean by that, that it's some kind of a mystery to solve, but about the thematic meaning of it.

Oh well, as I may or may not have said, some of the responses mean that readers are buying it as a thriller, and that's gratifying.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, all. I've posted in the Pit, but I suppose I belong in here as well.

When I queried, I used the phrase "with series potential." My agent had me write a synopsis for the next book if it was a planned series, but what I actually spend time writing next once I go on sub is an unrelated project. As far as feeling like wasting one's time on something that might not sell...it's a personal choice. I have three small children. Writing time can be hard to come by, so I'd rather spend it on something new that I enjoy and doesn't have to rely on the sale of another project.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Re: writing the sequel debate...

I'm getting ready to go out on sub but it's a different scenario. Two editors have asked for my manuscript and another referred it to a different department for consideration due to genre (but at least liked it enough to refer). The first editor to express interest literally said, "Tell me this is a series. Tell me, please, that this is a series." It was at a conference. I said it was, gave her the concept for book two, and she asked me how far into book two I was. I smiled and said, "I just outlined it." She laughed and suggested I start writing. She and the agent have talked and she's waiting on the book. :) So good news there.

But for me, writing the sequel is important. I'm so deep in the characters' heads and voices are so rich that I want to live that through the next book. I don't want to lose the momentum. So I tend to build on that. Once this sequel is done, I have a new book in mind (don't we always?) and intend to start hammering out details of that one.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Had the MOST amazing thing happen last night. A NYT Bestselling author in my genre offered to endorse my story and provide a cover quote. Let me explain that this woman is my rock star and I devour her books. First, I need someone to pick me up off the floor. Second, is this normal that they offer? Or did I just win the lottery?

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
*helps Mad to her feet*
That is awesome news! :partyguy:
Oh, and +1 on the writing of a sequel. I wrote the first draft of the sequel to the one on sub just after I aquired my agent, and left it to marinate for a couple of months while I worked on something else. Now I'm working on it again with fresh eyes. I just love hanging out with my characters (it helps that I have a bit of a crush on one of them ;)) from that book, in their world, and couldn't stay away if I tried.
I do believe that every writer should focus on a totally new WIP from the one on sub (which I have been doing also), but, I think it can't hurt to write a sequel or at least work on it in between other projects.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Had the MOST amazing thing happen last night. A NYT Bestselling author in my genre offered to endorse my story and provide a cover quote. Let me explain that this woman is my rock star and I devour her books. First, I need someone to pick me up off the floor. Second, is this normal that they offer? Or did I just win the lottery?

This is extraordinary, Mad!! :snoopy:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Mad!!! I don't know if it's "normal", but it's flippin' AWESOME! Congrats! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.