Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
I know this isn't publishing news, but it's good news for my writing career. I have been asked to host a session at a 2011 southeastern writers' conference on constructing a successful query letter. Kind of strange validation but it made me feel good. :)

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hopping in line too!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I know this isn't publishing news, but it's good news for my writing career. I have been asked to host a session at a 2011 southeastern writers' conference on constructing a successful query letter. Kind of strange validation but it made me feel good. :)
Inching away from that day job . . .

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a dreadful thought --- is this the last week to get a deal before the new year? Because the following week it is American T-giving, and then everything slows for Xmas...and New Year's...

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I know of someone who got a deal around first week of December/last week of November so...no? But who knows.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
So last week one ed said we'd hear from her sometime this week....and yeah, it's not even Monday yet and I'm already freaking out!

lkp - I'm not sure...I suspect after this week things will slow down, but I think someone on this site said their offer came on Christmas eve? So I'm not sure that everything STOPS per se...but I'm sure it slows down. Cuz, you know, things weren't glacial enough to begin with. ;-)

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Here's a dreadful thought --- is this the last week to get a deal before the new year? Because the following week it is American T-giving, and then everything slows for Xmas...and New Year's...

I checked PM for deals from November and December last year, and they still happen! My own agent sold mid December! I have hope! :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Deals definitely happen -- it's just a particularly tricky time to go on sub, but the books that are on sub still sell at the usual pace.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My agent seems to think now is a good time to go on sub, to take advantage of "holiday break reading." She says she wants to go out before Thanksgiving. (I say she's about to miss another of her self-imposed deadlines.):mad:

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I'm nearly complete with what I think will be my last revision, but I'm in no rush to go on sub this late in the year. I plan to talk to my agent and see if we should hold off until the first of the year. Whatever he deems best I'll trust.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the book -- if you have a big, high-concept book that might go to auction, it's not good to go on sub at a time when all the actors aren't available to, well, act.

But yeah, what are the odds? Most books won't go to auction.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hopefully the holidays won't kill offers, but I'm new at this and still frightfully optimistic. I'm out with a dream editor right now, and now I'm worried he'll "slash and pass" in a holiday rush. Oh well.

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. It'll be interesting to see what books get picked up during the "holiday" rush. Fingers crossed for everyone! I've been on sub, myself, for a month and a half and the w-a-i-t-i-n-g is driving me bonkers.

I figure I've got two choices...Go crazy or start in on the next novel. I'm opting for the novel because the straight-jacket clashes with my sweaters ; )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.