The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by feedback. Often they need to say something, anything, so they say something vague like 'this just didn't feel quite special enough to me' or 'the plot didn't quite connect with me' or whatever which doesn't really leave you anything except with the sense that this simply wasn't for them.

Though quite often they will say something specific - voice too young, voice not authentic, plot too complex etc. It MIGHT be helpful...except when it's all contradictory, in which case it's hard to tell which way to go from there. But when you do start seeing consistency, I think that's the time you take a step back and listen to the feedback carefully.

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Ditto the hugs and sympathy vomiting.

I know how hard the waiting is. I've got two editors looking at my ms right now and both are big for me. I don't want an R (really, really don't) but I want to hear something because it seems like the waiting is aging me.

Is it normal for editors to provide feedback at this stage? I'm so new to this, I have no idea what to expect.

I think it depends on a lot of factors, but yes, you can definitely get editor feedback at this stage. ;)

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've had lots of detailed editor feedback at the sub stage.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Almost every editor gave me specific examples of what they loved, then of course came the R, but I knew they read it and got it. A couple gushed about it, detailed what they loved, but the market is just so saturated with faeries, *sigh* they just didn't see it working right now.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Tracy on the read.

Hugs, Roly, on the R. Know what you mean about feeling confident when revising, knowing you've got it right. And then you send it out and wait to hear, meanwhile eating your heart out. Publishing heartburn, yeah. But hang in there.

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks for the responses. I'm waiting on one editor in particular. While I am hopeful, an R is more realistic. :) Ain't it always the way... But (I think) I'm hoping for feedback. I'll let you know what I get.

Last edited:

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is common to get feedback, probably more than you've had previously. My agent vets the comments so that I only receive a widespread criticism rather than being deluged with a whole bunch of negatives that may be one person's subjective viewpoint and not shared by others.

Personally, at this stage, I don't want a lot of feedback (since that translates into revisions). I'd like to have one person to work with whose judgment I trust.

Still waiting on that Canadian offer. Sigh.

Last edited:

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
some gave me minor feedback (few comments), some more in depth.

Tracey - good luck! if you're ready for another reader, let me know!

YA - that is awesome. working on a new project is always a good feeling.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten feedback. I don't think it has ever been useful. It's primarily about the relationship they want to continue to have with your agent, not about your book, which they have already decided they don't want.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Agent just got back to me - she's liking the new ms and gave me permission to go ahead and write the rest of the thing before sending it to her again. WHOO HOO!!!!!!

I'm so excited about this book, I can't even tell you. It scares me a little, actually, because I'm afraid it might not live up to my idea of it in my head. Trying not to think about that right now, though. Just got to get it down on paper first.

yay!! :)

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks to everyone who has responded. I suppose it's sit and wait and see what comes back. I'm not good at waiting, but looks like I'll be getting lots of practice! I'll let you know when/if I get feedback. Got an R today from a big house (but not the one I am holding out for). <sighs and gets the tequila...>

Yay tracy on the excitement for the new book! It's such a good feeling.

YAwriter, I think I get "geeked up" over stuff like blurbs too, so come sit next to me at Happy Hour!

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Agent just got back to me - she's liking the new ms and gave me permission to go ahead and write the rest of the thing before sending it to her again. WHOO HOO!!!!!!

I'm so excited about this book, I can't even tell you. It scares me a little, actually, because I'm afraid it might not live up to my idea of it in my head. Trying not to think about that right now, though. Just got to get it down on paper first.

I'm not surprised that your agent likes it. Your WIP is amazing! :D

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Blondchen - thanks. I'm beginning to think it's just an elevated life form of the dreaded query form letter R.

I think partly it was that my agent didn't share the wildly divergent feedback or the super vague. We did get detailed feedback from two editors that she passed on to me.

Also, the book that sold went to the first editor who got it. All the passes that came in after the offer came without feedback.

I'm not sure there's any rhyme or reason to it. Lack of feedback definitely isn't a reflection on your talent. All but one of the editors who passed on my first book asked to see something else in the future...

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Forsaken - ::blush:: thanks. :)

Blonchen - I love that you have "6 words" on your sequel. I don't know why this strikes me as funny/awesome, but it does. :)

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Back from vacay and wading though my copy edits. I've gone through the whole MS but will set is aside for a day or two so I can look at it with fresh eyes before I finally send it back. I have to say that copy editors are AMAZING creatures. I am in AWE of the little details mine caught.

Got my first rejection today on the new project. Strangely, it didn't upset me at all. I was just like FINALLY, some news. I was kinda of just dying for some editor feedback good bad or indiffernt so it was nice to read some good things and know the project isn't just terrible, even if it wasn't for her.

(((Jenn)))

((Jenn))

Sorry for the R but yay for news? Sometimes just hearing something is a relief.

So I got an R on the ms but it was for the old version so I don't really mind too much. Agent just sent the revised to two eds and might be sending to a third so I'm both excited and nervous. I was more confident on Friday when I finished up revising, but now that it's out there again I just feel super nervous....I mean you just don't know. The R I got today just proves how totally subjective the biz is so it's like...you just never now man.

Plus it might take them years to get back to me :( Oh well. I'm kind of interested in hearing what they say about the revised...what kind of feedback I get....*throws up*

(((Roly)))

Ditto the hugs and sympathy vomiting.

I know how hard the waiting is. I've got two editors looking at my ms right now and both are big for me. I don't want an R (really, really don't) but I want to hear something because it seems like the waiting is aging me.

Is it normal for editors to provide feedback at this stage? I'm so new to this, I have no idea what to expect.

Good luck! I got some feedback midway through their read (who was loving/liking it so far).

So, I just wrote the blurb for new book, and now I'm all excited about it again! Funny how something so small as a blurb gets you geeked up! :)

Agent will have edits to me this week, since she was gone this past weekend. I can't wait!

Go, YA! :)

Yay!!!!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
*kid at birthday party who hasn't gotten their cake and ice cream yet while everyone else is eating and laughing and having food fights*

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
*kid at birthday party who hasn't gotten their cake and ice cream yet while everyone else is eating and laughing and having food fights*

...and opening their really cool presents...sigh.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
*waving at everyone way ahead of me in the line*

I'm waiting on revs for my ms from my agent, which are on the last fifteen pages to give the ending some extra *snap*.

Signed and mailed my client agreement yesterday, and will have the first draft of my next YA novel finished by the 24th of the month.

So here I am. Although, this thread is sorta scary!

I'm going to call this "The Next Circle of Hell-o" -- as in, hello, manuscript, we love you!

: )

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.