The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck sub twins! The waiting is brutal by the way, but maybe you'll find you're one of the lucky ones :D

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!
Btw, anyone on sub in the UK?

Congratulations on the sub, Forsaken. Gosh, two Hellions in one day!!! The excitement's ramping.

FWIW, I'm not on sub in the UK, but have been in the past when I was repped over there several years ago. Didn't make the sale. Hey-ho. I think the whole experience is probably equally as nerve wracking on both sides of the pond. Is that where you're subbing?

Major good luck.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the sub, Forsaken. Gosh, two Hellions in one day!!! The excitement's ramping.

FWIW, I'm not on sub in the UK, but have been in the past when I was repped over there several years ago. Didn't make the sale. Hey-ho. I think the whole experience is probably equally as nerve wracking on both sides of the pond. Is that where you're subbing?

Major good luck.

Yes, we start in the UK. The US will follow soon.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to the sub twins!

Was wondering where you went Miss Plum. Glad to see you back!
*waves*

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!
It seems the name sub twins will stick. It's fortunate that we're also agency sisters! LOL

Sweet Tea

Gone to pee - don't touch my glass!
Registered
Reaction score
Guess who else is going on sub next week? Moi! I'm strapping in tight for the bumpy ride.

Super Wonderful agent emailed me today - he is excited, as he has been talking to editors already and getting some good feedback.

Here's hoping for quick sales for all of us!

And hey to Miss Plum - good to see you again!

Hugs,
ST

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
One of the things I like about this circle of hell happened today. I GOT A REQUEST FOR MY MANUSCRIPT -- FROM SOMEONE WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY REJECTED IT -- IN FACT FROM TWO PEOPLE WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY REJECTED IT!!!

When I was in query hell, Agency Smith and Agency Jones both passed on me. Well in the fullness of time a new agent joined Agency Smith, so duly I sent him a Hail Query in the hopes that he might go for it. Haha, it turns out that Smith and Jones had joined up in the meantime, and this new agent 1) apologized -- apologized!!! -- for taking so long to get back to me, and 2) told me that both Smith and Jones wanted to see my project!

I was very polite and professional and refrained from telling him about our history. Just thanked him and told him I'd accepted rep from someone else.

But then . . . then . . . he e-mailed me back, said they all hoped to see my book on the shelves, and asked who was repping me now. Well, since he was so curious, I told him who's repping me. And I added a very few words about my history with Smith and Jones.

I don't gain a thing from this in material terms, but it did make me smile.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I like about this circle of hell happened today. I GOT A REQUEST FOR MY MANUSCRIPT -- FROM SOMEONE WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY REJECTED IT -- IN FACT FROM TWO PEOPLE WHO HAD PREVIOUSLY REJECTED IT!!!

When I was in query hell, Agency Smith and Agency Jones both passed on me. Well in the fullness of time a new agent joined Agency Smith, so duly I sent him a Hail Query in the hopes that he might go for it. Haha, it turns out that Smith and Jones had joined up in the meantime, and this new agent 1) apologized -- apologized!!! -- for taking so long to get back to me, and 2) told me that both Smith and Jones wanted to see my project!

I was very polite and professional and refrained from telling him about our history. Just thanked him and told him I'd accepted rep from someone else.

But then . . . then . . . he e-mailed me back, said they all hoped to see my book on the shelves, and asked who was repping me now. Well, since he was so curious, I told him who's repping me. And I added a very few words about my history with Smith and Jones.

I don't gain a thing from this in material terms, but it did make me smile.

That's the best feeling!

Day #2. Still pretty excited, but my refresh finger is getting tired (I know, I know, it's ridiculous--can't help it).

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, Jill I refreshed a lot, too (although it helps being in school with no access to my email for most of the day) :D AND CONGRATS, DUDE! (I missed your I'm-on-sub announcement. You too, Forsaken!).

Super agent got back to me on the first 50 of my revisions I sent her. And she was overwhelmingly positive about it, so I feel a lot more confident going forward with this. I have been floundering so much with these revisions. So much pressure to get it right from, uh, myself. Haha.

In other news, I graduated high school today! Now, to deal with the month and a half of exams that follows *puts on determined face*

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Howdy guys!

Good luck to Suzanne and Jill venturing in to the realms of Hell, lol.

It looks like I'll be rejoining your ranks the first-ish of October. My agent's been really cool trying to read through my TG revisions, my YA Contemp, and my Dystopian, so it's taken a little longer. I guess I'm just ready to get back out there and be bruised and bloody again, lol.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, here's a question for those who have been on sub with editors before, or who have been on sub now for a while --- how many non-responses did you end up getting? Or maybe a more useful way of putting it, is, what proportion/percentage of editor reads ended up being non-responses.

I'm still waiting to hear from a lot of good houses, and I need something new to torture myself while I wait...

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any non-responders. But I've only gone out to 12 houses (3 of which were added tuesday). My agent is a persistent little thing when it comes to status updates.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I've been out for almost 2 months. I've only gotten two responses out of 10. September's been a bust so far :( Funny, I thought September was supposed to see the publishing industry moving faster than summer, but for me it's actually been moving slower. :(

But that's the biz. You never know, sometimes you can't just write someone off as a nonresponder because they might respond in 8 months whereas you've only been waiting 4. It's best not to think about it all together I guess.

Forsaken

...Writing...
Registered
Reaction score
It's only the second day of sub for me and I'm already driving myself crazy. I need to calm down. Maybe I should drink some wine...lol

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
sometimes you can't just write someone off as a nonresponder because they might respond in 8 months

omg 8 months. Editors actually do that to agents? Do agents at least complain about it?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of it taking a while. I've heard of editors never getting back to agents. It's ridiculous because you'd think having an agent with a relationship with this editor would make the process a little bit faster than if you'd sent an unsolicited lol. But it depends on a lot of factors I guess. Maybe there are fewer editors?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all on sub or getting ready to go on sub! :)

~suki

Status
Not open for further replies.