The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Go, YA! Great characters are what make reading and writing worthwhile for me.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Word! I was wondering where you were! I'm still working on my "new" (but not-so-new) WIP. Nothing on sub.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi Kellion! 18 K is a nice chunk done on the WIP. Hope it continues to go well.

I am still waiting to hear back on my revision of the work that was on sub (and hopefully will be again someday?).

I'm playing around with a couple of WIPs and brainstorming revision ideas for an old project. Yes, I'm having a hard time concentrating on anything. :(

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
This summer hasn't been conducive to work at all. The weekends are very packed (well, not THIS one) and little room to write... I love summer though and this is the way I like it, I guess.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
*bounce bounce* OMG Lily! Your books at the top of the AW page! HOLY SHIT! I'm soooo pround of you Lily! You're a superstar :D

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sigh. First pass. Hugs?

:Hug2:

Yea, the editor was bit of a snark:

Direct quote: "I'm afraid the signal to noise ratio is unfavorable. The writing is full of verbal beans, but he's straining for effect in every paragraph and the (highly worked) plot is hard to discern behind all the pyrotechnics. It shows signs of being a first novel, if you know what I mean."

I was like, ouch!

Well there is only one way I can respond to that R: :e2moon:

Also, I think I updated everywhere else but not here. I'm working on revised version of my book that an editor is going to re-read. Her feedback is consistent with other feedback I've received, so I would be doing the changes before next round anyway.

meep.

Good luck on the revisions, fingers crossed on the re-submit! :)

*tiptoes in*

I just accepted an offer of rep. I think that means --

[collapses with tears of exhaustion and triumph] --

I belong here!!!!

Oh my satan, have I really made it to the Next Circle of Hell??!! Look at that lovely barbecue over there, with three authors on it! Say, does that boiling-lava hot tub have room for one more? Why sure, I be here!

WELCOME! :welcome:

I *think* I have finally had a breakthrough

in my characterization. I haven't been able to nail any sort of depth lately (Which affected my last WIP and crept into this new one too), so I read GMC. I read a few books that had great GMC, and I wrote yesterday,and I think its the best thing I've written so far. :)

Hi other YA! ;) Congrats on the breakthrough! Breakthroughs are so good to hear about in Hell, ride that wave! :D

Lily: OMG I am loving your book cover front and center on the AW site!!!! :e2cheer: Love your avatar too! :)

Alrighty then hellions, another crazy week set to start so I'm gonna posse out...hope there will be lots of encouraging news here when I come back!

Bye-bye! :hi:

:banana:

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Being far too superstitious for my own good, I've been holding off joining in until my agency agreement was signed and sealed. And now it is.... Yikes. It's official!!! :e2thud:

This is so surreal.

We're tackling line edits before we sub, so it might be a while before I'm officially 'out there'. Having said that, my agent's been speedy fast so far, so I wouldn't put it past him to have them back to me pretty quick. I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it. MY AGENT!!! I've been dying to say that!!

So, anyway. Hi all!! And thanks so much for sharing your experiences; I've been following you guys hoping I could graduate the Daily R and join in.

And I really couldn't let Miss Plum race off into the sunset steaming fires of hell without me. ;)

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi, Rosie! Just the word "knickers" is enough to make this yank giggle!

Lily, when AW covers first started appearing at the top of the page, I thought, wow, something new to aspire to! And you've done it. It's a beautiful cover, too.

I just got off the phone with the Agent, and she loved my revision! I can't tell you what a relief it was to hear that, as I worked my hiney off on that major overhaul, and then waited a loooong time to find out whether I'd destroyed or rescued my story.

So, some tweaking to do, and Agent will be on vacation until after labor day, so I won't be on sub again for awhile, but there is a speck of light at the end of my long, snaking tunnel.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
rooooooosiiiiiiiiiiieeee! I couldn't wait to jump in here. The formal inking comes later this week, but damn I HAD THE PHONE CALL. There is an element of torture to waiting for the papers. Does that qualify?

Fellow Hellions, rosiecotton and I are long-time fellow-Rejecterinos from The Daily Rejection thread. We all held hands and dabbed each other's brows through the agonizing process of querying, the interminable waiting to hear on a partial, the brutal reversals ("Thanks for your full manuscript -- we're passing"), the heart-stopping e-mails requesting a phone call appointment, and the ultimate and near-unbelievable moment of triumph. Maybe you can all remember the thrill of being able to say, "Blah blah blah my agent blah blah blah."

rosie, what's your next step? Are they going to send you some editorial notes, or is it straight to the publishers?

ETA: DUH. I just re-read rosie's post and got my answer.

And thanks again to all for the -- warm -- welcome!

Last edited:

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Plum and Rosie - apologies if you've said this already, but what genres do you write? Just curious.

And congrats again!!

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Great news, wordwrestler. Congratulations! I know what a great relief that must be.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Howdy Hellions!

I just had a great first day of school. Yeah, I was going to take this year off from teaching after my hellish year last year and work freelancing, but this job came up with a great administration and staff, so I couldn't say no! I'm teaching all 12th Brit Lit, which is interesting since I've never had seniors before.

In writing related news, I just got the first set of my final TG agent revisions off. We go out in September....at least I hope, lol. Then my agent at first wasn't thrilled with the idea of Nets and Lies, my other YA contemporary dealing with a basketball sex scandal, but she read a partial of it this weekend, said it was compelling, and wanted to read on! So, that's an exciting step. It'll be nice to get a Contemp out there that's not "boy narrated" and see how it does. I don't know for sure if we're going out or not.

Congrats Wordwrestler and Welcome Rosie!!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Rosie!! Fingers crossed you go out on sub soon!!

June-Congrats on the teaching job AND the writing stuff! Glad your agent loves it!!

Lily-You're pure awesomeness...your book, front and center. LOVE. IT.

Yay, Wordwrestler!! Light at the end of the long snaking tunnel. Perfect description.

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Congrats, Rosie and June! :)

Wordwrestler--yay for agent loving your revisions!

My agent read the first 75 pgs of my revisions and says she loves them so far. Wish me luck that the rest will work out as well, too! ;)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I am still waiting to hear back on my revision of the work that was on sub (and hopefully will be again someday?).

Ooh, nice and toasty in here. Sorry, I'm new -- mind telling more about that project? Looks like it went out on sub, then someone asked for revision (hopefully an editor) and they have it again? How long is this process taking, by the way? Newbies want to know.

I just got off the phone with the Agent, and she loved my revision! I can't tell you what a relief it was to hear that, as I worked my hiney off on that major overhaul, and then waited a loooong time to find out whether I'd destroyed or rescued my story.

So, some tweaking to do, and Agent will be on vacation until after labor day, so I won't be on sub again for awhile, but there is a speck of light at the end of my long, snaking tunnel.

Wow. Again, mind providing a time-frame? I'd like to know just how long the tunnel is that I'm looking down myself. The guy who is now my agent dangled me over the fire for an eternity before making me an offer. How many more eternities will I have to endure?

Miss Plum and Rosie - apologies if you've said this already, but what genres do you write? Just curious.

And congrats again!!

Thanks! Mine's a graphic novel, and I'm calling the genre magical realism. It's a Shangri-la love story.

In writing related news, I just got the first set of my final TG agent revisions off. We go out in September....at least I hope, lol. Then my agent at first wasn't thrilled with the idea of Nets and Lies, my other YA contemporary dealing with a basketball sex scandal, but she read a partial of it this weekend, said it was compelling, and wanted to read on! So, that's an exciting step. It'll be nice to get a Contemp out there that's not "boy narrated" and see how it does. I don't know for sure if we're going out or not.

Okay, I'm getting a feel for this Hell thing. Juneluv12, your handle looks so familiar. I think I remember seeing you in some B&BC threads ages ago when you were seeking rep. Fun and funny, bumping into someone in the Next Circle of Hell after all this time.

We're tackling line edits before we sub, so it might be a while before I'm officially 'out there'. Having said that, my agent's been speedy fast so far, so I wouldn't put it past him to have them back to me pretty quick. I'm getting butterflies just thinking about it. MY AGENT!!! I've been dying to say that!!

And I really couldn't let Miss Plum race off into the sunset steaming fires of hell without me. ;)

Can you be-frakking-LIEVE it? We're here!

*bounce bounce* OMG Lily! Your books at the top of the AW page! HOLY SHIT! I'm soooo pround of you Lily! You're a superstar :D

Now now, what's this? Someone smilin' down on us from heaven? We'll have none of that -- this is HELL. (jk, congratulations, lily!)

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Okay, I'm getting a feel for this Hell thing. Juneluv12, your handle looks so familiar. I think I remember seeing you in some B&BC threads ages ago when you were seeking rep. Fun and funny, bumping into someone in the Next Circle of Hell after all this time.

I'm sure you did see me in B and BC! Between querying 3 YA novels and one Lit Fiction, I spent quite awhile in there....9months actually, lol.

Did you use to have a playing card as an AVI? I swear I remember you too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.