The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
tri - what a cool idea! i wish my family suggested stuff that was actually interesting...or remotely related to what i actually write

another example of crappy idea someone suggested: at dinner with my aunt and uncle and their friends, one of the gentlemen kept saying, whenever anyone would tell any little story about anything (generally golf or fundraising related - they're the country club type) - "are you getting this? you should write about this. the intrigues of lady's golf. it'd be a great book"

And I'm like, I know you must be joking...but do you really have nothing else to say to me? Can we just put the joke to bed please and move on? ;-)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
tracy: people like that are why I perfected making neutral noises. Engaging in actual discussion almost never works, so I pretend I'm on a date with an egotistical guy who assumes I can't be anything but fascinated by every detail of his life.

I never said I was a nice Lily. :D

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Lily. That's hilarious! And exactly what I did at that dinner. I just nodded and smiled and tried to ignore his little comments. (While inwardly screaming in frustration, just a little. ;-))

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
This is a perfect place to add some advice I got from a friend recently:
If someone makes you so angry that you feel like slapping them in the face... do it. Then say mosquito. :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tracy - yay for inspiration. Boo for busybodies. It's happened to me, too, the stupid idea suggestion. Most of the time I do the polite nod thing. but once in a while, with certain people, I explain to them exactly how stupid their idea is - I smile and say it all with a nice tone in my voice, so it usually takes them a while to figure out I've just called them stupid. I like to watch for the lightbulb moment, and the confusion that follows, and, usually, the shaking it off cause I couldn't possibly... <yeah, yeah I could. ;) >

And for everyone who cheered since I was last in here - Thank you :D

~suki

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hilarious! I told a guy about my writing / pro reading work and he goes, "Have I got a story for you." Jesus, Mary and Joseph, no, I think. He embarks on a long rant about being sued by a large town, the 9/11 "truth" conspiracy theory, and jah knows what else. This was at a garden party where he darn near got thrown out for being an annoying kook. *sigh* That story reminds me why I don't talk to people.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
My mum insists that I should write picture books. It's like her dream for me, haha. Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced with pbs (as in like, not at all) and wouldn't know where to start.

My dad thinks I should write something like the Da Vinci Code, because everyone will just love that *headdesk*

I hate unwelcome suggestions, so frustrating.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My children tell me what to write all the time, which I actually enjoy - they have vivid imaginations. However, when adults do it, it drives me crazy - write your own book and leave me alone.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Woot Suki :)

I don't get suggestions thank God! What gets me is people saying 'I'll write a book when I get some extra time' Ppth there's no such thing as 'extra' time. You have to make time to write and its hard frickin work!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
soul - i blogged about that very thing last week. i have an acquaintance who is always talking about how she wishes she could write like me, if she had the time. "Hell-o?" I don't have the time either, nitwit. I make the time. Most writers do. Not many of us are sitting at home, staring out windows saying, Hmmm, I have nothing to do, perhaps I'll write a book.

/soapbox

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Alanna - your idea made me snicker too (and yes I am stealing it!)

Jenn Awesome! I'm headed to your blog now. It's funny because when I write, that's pretty much ALL I do...everything dwindles, the social life, my reading, tv watching, movie going, gaming...pretty much all the other stuff that would gobble up my 'spare time'. Heck, one book I wrote a huge chunk of on my breaks and lunch times at work! I wonder if these guys relaly do think we're all sitting at home gazing out windows....:)

Last edited:

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
soul - i blogged about that very thing last week. i have an acquaintance who is always talking about how she wishes she could write like me, if she had the time. "Hell-o?" I don't have the time either, nitwit. I make the time. Most writers do. Not many of us are sitting at home, staring out windows saying, Hmmm, I have nothing to do, perhaps I'll write a book.

/soapbox
HAHAHAHAHA- do people that say things like that seriously live on this planet? They must be aliens...seriously...no seriously...

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Alanna - your idea made me snicker too (and yes I am stealing it!)

Jenn Awesome! I'm headed to your blog now. It's funny because when I write, that's pretty much ALL I do...everything dwindles, the social life, my reading, tv watching, movie going, gaming...pretty much all the other stuff that would gobble up my 'spare time'. Heck, one book I wrote a huge chunk of on my breaks and lunch times at work! I wonder if these guys relaly do think we're all sitting at home gazing out windows....:)

Soul- I'm glad! Steal away! :)

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm never going to finish this WIP - not with my boys' home from school and my middle son's non-stop audition and work schedule.

Can it please be fall soon, so my kids are all in school. Please.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
If there's a bright side to that, Dawn, maybe (hopefully?) it'll be that when fall comes you'll have so much pent-up creative energy that as soon as your boys are off to school you'll rush to your computer and type non-stop and finish that WIP in a couple of weeks.
Okay, if you write like me, that's 'lala land' but it's a nice dream :)

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm never going to finish this WIP - not with my boys' home from school and my middle son's non-stop audition and work schedule.

Can it please be fall soon, so my kids are all in school. Please.
Summer is the hardest time for me to get any writing done. There's always so much going on.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the difference in the summer is the weekends. It's much harder to carve out work time from what would otherwise be a fun day at the beach or a weekend visit to friends.

Dawn Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, my real problem is my son's work schedule. It seems every time I have a day of writing lined up (or vacation), we find out the night before he needs to be in LA the next day. And while that would seem to give me a ton of writing time, he's six and needs entertainment in flight.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Version 3 of MS is it!! My CP has put her stamp of approval on it, so off to agent it will go. I am *dying* to jump into the contemporary that came to me last week.

Plus side, I am off on vacation for 10 days. Hopefully will have time to write and maybe will be ready to go out on sub when I get back! *hopes*

Am taking my laptop (of course) so if I hit wifi hotspots, I'll check in. Hope to see some more great news here too!

Status
Not open for further replies.