The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
YAY SUKI!!!!! :hooray::hooray: So cool to see you're at Candlewick! And your book sounds awesome, can't wait to read it. :D

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, Suki! I love everything I've ever read from Candlewick. What wonderful news!!

:TheWave:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! I'm just...well, a bit overwhelmed! I'm thrilled with Candlewick and my editor. And seeing the announcement was fantastic. But the yays and cheers have been just amazing. Thank you all! And I can't wait to cheer your deals!

~suki

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I posted a reply earlier and...it's gone....WEIRD!

CONGRATS, SUKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
YAYYYYY SUKI--WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!! I feel like I'm stalking you with congrats all over AW, lol! :D So happy for you---and what a fantastic-sounding book!

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: to everybody!
I'm still on sub, with no news either way and I've been lurking here on and off, but mostly have been away from AW for a bit. But I absolutely needed to pop in and say CONTRATULATIONS SUKI!!!!!!! I am more than thrilled for you- WAY TO GO!!!! :hooray::partyguy:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm sure I've missed stuff in my celebratory fog - I promise to catch up soon. But right now I'd drowning in unanswered emails and PMs and reps, etc. LOL. And trying to sort boxes for the move while watching the World Cup. LOL.

So...just popping in to say hi, say thanks for the cheers and yays that keep coming in, and to say I can't wait to cheer each of you. :) It's been so much fun :)

~suki

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
So last night I talked to my best friend on the phone for over FOUR hours and brainstormed a new plot for one of my novels I had shelved for, well, lack of plot. It's a story that I kept hitting walls with while I was writing it and even though I loved the main character and some of the scenes, it always felt like it was building up to something dark... and I could just never figure out what that thing was - or rather, I started with one idea in mind, decided that didn't work and changed it...and then realized the second idea didn't work either.

This new idea is really cool and I think it will be exactly what the story needs to make it a real, honest to goodness story. I'm really excited about revisiting it, though right now I'm waiting for my agent to read my new plot summary and the original draft to see what she thinks.

In the meantime, starting WIP revisions today. Yay!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
tracy - awesome. good luck with it!

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
okay, so I have to ask you guys....does this happen to anyone else?

My mom/brother/mother-in-law/everyone I know constantly tells me, "You should write a book about........" This has even happened with people I've just met, when they find out I'm a writer. EVERYONE seems to have an idea, and they are almost pushy...and, I admit, some of the ideas are downright ridiculous!

Not to mention sometimes a little offensive. The other day my mom told me I should write a memoir because "sometimes non-fiction is more exciting than fiction". Thanks mom - what are you saying about my novels? Jeez!

Mostly I just ignore it, but I'm curious if anyone else gets this?

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and thanks everyone who's CPed me. You guys are such an awesome, supportive group! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :)

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Tracy, yay! Good luck! As for your question, no. I've actually never had anyone suggest an idea, although it sounds like a common thing for other writers.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
okay, so I have to ask you guys....does this happen to anyone else?

My mom/brother/mother-in-law/everyone I know constantly tells me, "You should write a book about........" This has even happened with people I've just met, when they find out I'm a writer. EVERYONE seems to have an idea, and they are almost pushy...and, I admit, some of the ideas are downright ridiculous!

QUOTE]

It happens every now and again. Some of the ideas are good though, I find. Or through a little bit of conversation we manage to make them at least interesting.

I have a weird friend who is always on the lookout for new books for me. Her most recent suggestion was a horror novel about a man who compulsively and secretly spreads pink eye to people he hates. I mostly sit back and enjoy the weirdness.

Don't let the suggestions get you down. But if they do, I'd politely mention it. Some things only other writers can relate to. You know, like the frustration and misery :).

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
On a trip to the grocery store my niece, while driving, looked at her five-year-old daughter in the back seat and jokingly said, "We ought to pawn your ass for gas."

A light bulb went off in my head--major storyline idea. Thus began my quest on a SF YA distopian book about a future that is so economically pressed, that members of households are allowed to cede or loan out their family members or wards, for a huge advance payment. I called it Family Trade and Loan, but have been thinking about changing it to The Girl They Loaned to the Moon."

That was a month ago. It's almost finished.

As far as people suggesting books? Oh, gawd yeah. All the time. It comes from the extended family.

Tri

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My dad does, of all people. I make interested-yet-neutral noises till he stops.

I seem to get people who say, "I've always wanted to write a book! How do I start?"

:Headbang: I recomend Lukeman and Browne & King to them, and the Snowflake site. Often, when they realize that writing involves work, they change the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.