The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Scribe - I've never received an editor's note I felt that way about, but I certainly received those kinds of notes from others. I say discuss your concerns with your agent, and then, if you are uncertain, I'd try the revisions - just so you can be sure they're not right - and if after that you find you were right, the changes don't make the story more effective, then don't follow the advice.

You're likely walking away from that editor, but if they can't help you make the book stronger, the editor is not the right editor.

Thanks, suki. I took some time to consider the suggestion, but I ultimately felt it would not benefit the story, mainly because the editor's proposal seems to be based on a reading of character and text that is very far removed from my own conception/portrayal of them. I've written to my agent to express my reservations about this particular change but haven't heard back yet--hence, my current angst. But there are other people reading, so maybe things will work out for the best, ultimately. It's just disconcerting to have the first detailed editor's response be something like this.:Wha:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
The only time I followed an editor's suggestions, I agreed whole heartedly with them --- and still didn't sell the book!

If you feel she didn't "get" your vision of the story, you may well not exactly get the nature of the revisions she is suggesting (if you two are just not on the same wavelength), and doing her edits might not satisfy her. I think you've made the right decision, FWIW.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
The only time I followed an editor's suggestions, I agreed whole heartedly with them --- and still didn't sell the book!

If you feel she didn't "get" your vision of the story, you may well not exactly get the nature of the revisions she is suggesting (if you two are just not on the same wavelength), and doing her edits might not satisfy her. I think you've made the right decision, FWIW.

The essence of the change ultimately comes down to our takes on a pivotal character, which are as different as night and day. Diametrically opposed, in fact. It's bizarre. In any case, lkp, I appreciate the input--plus, I can see trying to alter my MS according to this editor's suggestions and, as in your situation, still failing to sell it!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all!:hi:

I haven't been around too much lately, I know. Submission angst has been wearing at me a bit, so I've been keeping my head down and trying to concentrate on my WIPs. Recently, though, something happened that I'd appreciate your input on.

Have any of you ever gotten a revision suggestion from an editor considering your work that you knew would make it weaker rather than stronger? I'm not just talking about the knee-jerk recoil when someone wants to give "your baby" a makeover, or the sinking heart you feel at the prospect of still more revisions, but the genuine conviction that what the editor proposes will lessen the impact of the story you're telling? If so, how do you cope, and are you a naive fool if you stick to your guns about maintaining your original vision?:e2writer:
I agree with Suki. Talk it out with your agent first. Maybe s/he can provide some insight that perhaps you're missing or even misinterpreting.

If after the convo nothing changes, I'd follow your heart. It's not naive to hang on to your convictions. While I haven't heard feedback from editors, I can tell you a lot of agent feedback to me didn't make sense to me / my story. The one agent's feedback that did make sense, I went with her. Because she still "got" my ms.

While we read about multiple offers all the time from editors, many get one offer. To me, there's often only one editor right for your ms. Also, where are you in the submission process? If it's early in the game, both you and your agent might decide to just move on.

A gal I know had an editor ask for exclusive revisions. She agreed and worked on them for 6 months. When she and her agent resubmitted...the editor still didn't like it! So she and the agent pulled the ms and moved on. 2 weeks later she got a sale from a different editor. So what one likes, the other does not.

Trust yourself. :)

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Scribe, I have. It was a revise and resubmit kind of deal that really was asking for the second half of a very different book than the one I wrote. As I said to my agent, I could write this editor that book -- but it's not the book I wrote.

My agent agreed and we sort of kept in the back pocket just in case, but I ended up selling to a publisher that I just love, so it was all for the best.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
While we read about multiple offers all the time from editors, many get one offer. To me, there's often only one editor right for your ms. Also, where are you in the submission process? If it's early in the game, both you and your agent might decide to just move on.

A gal I know had an editor ask for exclusive revisions. She agreed and worked on them for 6 months. When she and her agent resubmitted...the editor still didn't like it! So she and the agent pulled the ms and moved on. 2 weeks later she got a sale from a different editor. So what one likes, the other does not.

Trust yourself. :)

Thanks for the input, Cricket! I am definitely feeling as if the number of ideal possible editors for a project is much smaller than the number of ideal possible agents for a writer. It's a very sobering thought. Fortunately(?), I'm still in the early stages of my first round of submission, so perhaps my agent and I can indeed move on in search of someone who might be a better fit for the work as it stands.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Scribe, I have. It was a revise and resubmit kind of deal that really was asking for the second half of a very different book than the one I wrote. As I said to my agent, I could write this editor that book -- but it's not the book I wrote.

My agent agreed and we sort of kept in the back pocket just in case, but I ended up selling to a publisher that I just love, so it was all for the best.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Other Lisa. It's uncannily like mine--the outcome the editor wants is completely different from the one I wrote. And, not to sound too much like a "snowflake," but I honestly can't imagine my story playing out in any other way. I just hope my experience has as happy an ultimate resolution as yours.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I can only relate a time when (black and white ice bird) publisher asked my old agent if he had anybody who could write them a very different werewolf book. My agent chose me, and I came up with what I thought was so different and unique, I knew I'd had a winner. Publisher loved the outline. Agent and I loved, loved, loved the finished product. Waited five months for a response. It was a big NO. No reasons. The book was different, it didn't fair well with the other majors. A shame, since I thought it was my best work evah.

Just one example of listening to Big Brother, instead of your own instincts, and paying the price for it. I did sell it later to someone who GOT exactly what it was. Uh, that's because they read the book, me thinks.

Tri

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yeah, and just to be clear...a revise and resubmit can be a very good thing, and I think it's always a good idea to really think about what's being suggested before you respond. I did an R&R for NB and it worked out great -- but that was because we both agreed on what the book was. I'd had another agent suggest I take it in an entirely different direction, one that just didn't resonate with me at all. I didn't go down that road.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Just one example of listening to Big Brother, instead of your own instincts, and paying the price for it. I did sell it later to someone who GOT exactly what it was. Uh, that's because they read the book, me thinks.

Tri

Oh, man--I think I'd go bonkers if I wrote a book according to publisher specifications and had it go nowhere. :Headbang: Glad you found a home for it, though, and thanks for sharing your experience.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and just to be clear...a revise and resubmit can be a very good thing, and I think it's always a good idea to really think about what's being suggested before you respond. I did an R&R for NB and it worked out great -- but that was because we both agreed on what the book was. I'd had another agent suggest I take it in an entirely different direction, one that just didn't resonate with me at all. I didn't go down that road.

Agreed. I got some valuable advice at the agent level and was encouraged to revise and resubmit. I did, and I've never regretted it--the MS ended up much stronger and tighter. But this latest suggestion doesn't resonate for me, so I'm inclined to let it go. I only hope my agent agrees.

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yep, thanks for the congrats! :D I know some people heard about it through twitter and my random little lj update, so if you've congratted me, I'm sorry i was so lame getting back to peeps. My phone internet was pretty pathetic, in that it took me almost 5 minutes just to post a bloody tweet.

CONGRATS on your deal, YEAH! :D

I try.

My news is...not really news. Did exclusive revisions for an editor. It's going to the board this week. Still waiting. It's like death.

That is awesome news Blond! You will survive the death-like waiting and then we'll all celebrate ;)

Got my first pass today.

My agent told me to brush it off since my ms isn't really their thing--they're mainly a children's publisher. It doesn't really sting--but I'm terrified my ms won't sell. I know, I know, it's a reality we all face, but, well, just scared.

Onward, right! :)

Onward indeed, keep chugging along on the journey! :e2cheer:

My rewrites...OMG they are going SO GOOD!!!

I had a seriously brilliant breakthrough last night and am over the moon excited about it. It was everything, right down to the ending.

That must be such a great feeling, congrats! :)

And suki: can't wait 'till it's all out in public and official so we can party in this thread! :banana:

As for me...I must've missed a couple of weeks in this thread, Summer is kicking my ass, and during Summer, the time when you DON'T want to worry about work...well work has been busier than it's ever been! :( ...grr...:rant: Even now, I have some work to do tonight before a very busy Monday morning...I only found time to catch up on AW during these 25-30 minutes while I wait for my hair-dye to do its thing....LOL....

On a plus note, I finished some inspirational work on book #2 earlier today...it helps me stay motivated to keep going...this book is pure ME (which is helpful, considering it's non-fic humor ;) )....I know I can churn it out (just need 40 hours a day, please.. :Shrug:)

Sigh...let me know if I missed anyone's news...hope you all have a great week! :)

:banana:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And suki: can't wait 'till it's all out in public and official so we can party in this thread! :banana:

Me too! I'm hoping soon. Another step toward that this week, I hope ;)

And yay on inspirational book work! Boo on work sucking up your time.

~suki

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Hola Peeps!!

I just got back from DC today. I went for ALA, but also to see our nation's capital since I'd never been before, lol. Saturday was AWESOME! Met and got autographed books by Laurie Halse Anderson, Ellen Hopkins, Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Melissa Marr, Carolyn Mackler, and Avi.

AND, I got a shit ton of ARCS...especially Matched!

It was sooo awesome!! Even Darth Vader was there signing boosk!!!

Thanks YAwriter. :D

CONGRATS!!! How did I miss this on PM? Probably didn't make the connection between the two, but CONGRATS!!

I try.

My news is...not really news. Did exclusive revisions for an editor. It's going to the board this week. Still waiting. It's like death.

REALLY?!!! OMG!!! This has made my night! Hugs, thoughts, and prayers!!!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see you, Romi. Good luck with the NF...

Glad you had fun, June! I'm so envious of all those ARCs. I could use free books -- but then again, going to conferences is not free :)

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Nice to see you, Romi. Good luck with the NF...

Glad you had fun, June! I'm so envious of all those ARCs. I could use free books -- but then again, going to conferences is not free :)

ALA is the best by far...$25.00 bucks for all four days! It's really obsene how cheap it is considering what all you get. And I got a great deal on my hotel and airfare!

Last edited:

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
just got back from vacay. did i miss anything exciting around here?

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
hey all - I was on a mini-break myself. Hope you all are well!

Finished rough draft of the WIP last week and am now waiting to see what agent thinks. Hopefully she'll like it and we can move forward with getting it ready for sub. So...I'll be a lurker here for a while as I probably won't be back out on sub til the fall. looking forward to seeing all the hijinks you folks get up to!

bluerose

Registered
Reaction score
bluerose, I love the idea of buying a book every time an editor passes!

Yeah, I highly recommend it! Especially for anyone out there like me who doesn't like chocolate or alcohol. (I'm a freak, I know. I think I have mutant taste buds.) Personally I can't think of any better way to deal with bad news than getting lost in a lovely new shiny book.

June - speaking of shiny new books, ALA sounds awesome! I'm jealous of all your swag!

Romi - so sorry work is so crazy! I hope things calm down soon.

Scribe66 - sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Hopefully there's another editor out there who'll share your vision for your book.

Tracy - how exciting to finish a new WIP! (I'm so in awe of all you people who crank out books so quickly!) No doubt your agent will love it as much as you do, and you'll be back on sub in no time. (Heh, though is that a good thing? Sounds like that Chinese curse about interesting times...)

Things are moving forward for me this week, which has me alternating between excited and nail-bitingly nervous. Suki is right, the rollercoaster never stops!

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
Awesome Bluerose! Can't wait for your big wahoo announcement.

Romi, good luck on that WIP, and of course your sub. I love your hair-dye multi-tasking. That's a symptom of a truly productive person!

Tracy- Huzzah! You're finished! Got my fingers crossed for you and your new one.

You know, things are going pretty sweet for a bunch of folks on this thread. Which is cool and good and excellent.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yes, things are definitely looking up around here! So encouraging to have so much good news waiting to happen!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I highly recommend it! Especially for anyone out there like me who doesn't like chocolate or alcohol. (I'm a freak, I know. I think I have mutant taste buds.) Personally I can't think of any better way to deal with bad news than getting lost in a lovely new shiny book.

June - speaking of shiny new books, ALA sounds awesome! I'm jealous of all your swag!

Romi - so sorry work is so crazy! I hope things calm down soon.

Scribe66 - sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Hopefully there's another editor out there who'll share your vision for your book.

Tracy - how exciting to finish a new WIP! (I'm so in awe of all you people who crank out books so quickly!) No doubt your agent will love it as much as you do, and you'll be back on sub in no time. (Heh, though is that a good thing? Sounds like that Chinese curse about interesting times...)

Things are moving forward for me this week, which has me alternating between excited and nail-bitingly nervous. Suki is right, the rollercoaster never stops!

Congrats, bluerose! Can't wait to hear!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
OH WOW, I've missed out on so much good news!

Yay Nahkla! And ditto everyone else about being impatient to hear your awesome news, Suki :)

Scribe, I haven't yet gotten a revise and resub from an editor, but I once got a revise and resub from an agent that asked me to completely cut my antagonist out of the story. So yeah, that would definitely have made the book weaker and I ultimately chose not to do it.

June, omg, ALA sounds like such fun. I'm so jealous. Damn being on the other side of the world.

And lol at buying a book every time an editor passes, I like that :D I constantly make up reasons to buy myself books. Like "It's Friday. I made it to the end of a week. I deserve a book..."

In other news, I got another rejection today (I should buy myself a book!) but it was fairly positive and they asked to see other work. And my agent's planning to start subbing my second book sometime this week (that editor's on our list) :D

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.