The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAHHHH!

There is no circle of hell hot or painful enough for me right now. I'm just coming in here to whine. Because it's either that or annoy the crap out of my husband in the other room. And you all can ignore me.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
If I can't win the Newbery, the New York Times bestseller list wouldn't be bad. Or a National Book Award. Edgars, Nebulas, Hugos, and chocolate martinis for all my friends!

And contracts first, for those of us who need them. And a little extra patience for Ink, and me too, since I'm working hard not to let DH get on my nerves today. Being pleasant is such an effort for me.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Heh! I have dreams of paying my mortgage...

Howdy all! When it rain hard in Venice, Shack by the Sea suffers phone outages. Apparently not the fault of the ancient wiring of said shack, but the outside lines. It's been going on for years. Thankfully the internet will come back on in even a light rain, and they are going to try and fix the whole shebang tomorrow. Which I guess means I should clean, a little. Even though they probably won't need to come inside...sigh...

In all seriousness, I would like to write something that is critically acclaimed. That actually means something and has a life past my own. So, yeah. I get all of this.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Phone outages in a Venetian shack by the sea are romantic. I think you have to pay extra for that.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Other Lisa, that is seriously on my list...pay off mortgage! And "critical acclaim" that "means something and has a life past my own." <-- beautiful said.

One of my dreams also is to win a Stoker. I got two recommendations. Not enough to make the ballet (ten needed). But it's enough for now. Seriously enough. A greenhorn like me.

Wordwrestler, exactly! I love having little files of research and pictures and even links. I'm still new to it but just figured out how to do the index card synopsis and more detailed notes thing (that you can rearrange easily) and that is absolutely invaluable. Oh, I also like how you can make it that big see-thru screen, change the colors of paper, etc. It just looks so cool. ;)

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
"Means something and has a life past my own" is one reason why I like MG. My work doesn't have to be immortal or even stay in print for a decade if affects a few young people and they think about it in years to come.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
huh, I never thought of it like that before kellion, nicely put.

LOL another dream would be to QUIT MY JOB and be a writer (who had so much $$ flowing in I only wrote because I wanted to) humm is that a big dream or more of a monumental dream? ;)

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, so, I sent my agent my new m/s 4 Jan and have heard nothing, not even an acknowledgment. She always acknowledges my emails. Plus she's supposed to be subbing my m/s to more editors this month. What would you do in my sitch? Naturally, I'm not expecting her to have even glanced at my m/s but it's the fact she hasn't even responded to email that's making me wonder... WHERE IS SHE?!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Trixie, that's odd. I'd follow up just to make sure she got it. Big emails go missing quite a lot -- I'm sure it's something like that.

Don't stress! She's been giving you great feedback all along and she LOVES you.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trixie, that's odd. I'd follow up just to make sure she got it. Big emails go missing quite a lot -- I'm sure it's something like that.

Don't stress! She's been giving you great feedback all along and she LOVES you.

Thanks my lovely, have emailed her so will see if that gets a response.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that trixie, can't wait to have a read :)

Yeah, I agree with Kellion, someone else had something similar happen (agent didn't respond etc) they came to find out that the agent was swamped. Could be that, too. I bet agents/editors are still digging themselves out from the holiday build up. Here's hoping you hear back soon!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I just clicked on the link, but I'm saving to read it when I can parse each word and figure out how it reflects on my own situation ad infinitum.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
3K was a win. I counted it a win when I got in my little 500 word goal before my battery ran out. I probably had another easy 200 words, but I stopped anyway because getting the cord was so much work. I'm not exactly a writing juggernaut, am I?

Read the post. Not too relevant, actually, since no one seems to be loving my book so far! But N*ncy M*rcado and R0aring Bro0k are an editor and imprint I admire -- I like the Cat Royal adventures by Julia Golding.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
That was a great post and makes me antsy to create something an editor goes on and on about!!

Back at work today, still snowing *blech* but I got 3k done yesterday AND the blurb for the book! I'm calling that a win! :)

3k?? :Hail:
Um...heck YEAH that's a win!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got 100 phone calls this weekend, nearly all of them political (it's special election day to fill Sen. Kennedy's seat). Not the call I wanted...

Pushing 20k on the sequel, so no Devil's Workshop for me.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Okay, I feel totally writing ignorant that I didn't know what the ALA awards were or half the awards...sighs.

For me, I dream of the NY Times, of course. My ideal dream would be to write for a living. That would be awesome!! Oh, and to have a almost a rabid a fan base as Twi! You know, tatooing your characters on their arms and stuff. J/K, LOL

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to rank the degree of difficulty for all these goals:
** making a living
** winning national awards
** critical acclaim
** NYT bestsellerdom
** wealth and fame beyond all imagining
** immortality
** tattoos

We don't ask for much, do we?? Dream big, friends.

ETA: Welcome, JamieB!

Status
Not open for further replies.