The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! I have just been made aware of the ALA Conference in Boston from January 15 to 20.. looks as if a lot of editors will be off-line for awhile.

Boo.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
I'm done! Half my face is numb, but I got to watch Pirates of the Caribbean while he did it, so my mind was elsewhere. :tongue (The drooling was totally because of the Novocaine! LOL

Just waiting for it to wear off. This morning I wrote 5 more pages of notes on new story that has no name. Seriously, its writing itself! I am giddy! Numb but giddy! LOL

Aw, Lee, glad it's over and you're okay! Course, I hate that numb feeling.

And AWESOME about the writing! I love it when story's write themselves!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ack! I have just been made aware of the ALA Conference in Boston from January 15 to 20.. looks as if a lot of editors will be off-line for awhile.

Boo.

Double boo!

On a positive note, I have a great idea brewing for yet another WIP. Better get my research soon for the current WIP or Shiny New Idea is going to pull me all the way into its clutches!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, WIP and Shiny New Idea are fighting for Wordwrestler's love. Which will win?

I bet that at the ALA all the editors will have a few drinks and start talking about how much they love all their current submissions, then they'll realize they all love the same ones, rush to their phones, and commence the auction on all of our books. We'll have deals by Monday. It could happen.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bet that at the ALA all the editors will have a few drinks and start talking about how much they love all their current submissions, then they'll realize they all love the same ones, rush to their phones, and commence the auction on all of our books. We'll have deals by Monday. It could happen.

Yeah, I can SO see it happening. See, I'm only just emerging from the madness of the New Year enough to post messages on here etc so my thinking is, editors and agents will be the same. Next week is when it all starts happening again, I can just feel it in my bones!

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Some of it is definitely this sense that, OMG, I have to live up to what I did before, I need to make Agent happy, can he sell this? Will the publisher want it? It's definitely a new and fabulous layer of stress that I had never encountered before.

I'm finally seeing the end of the first draft (I am a slow writer) and feeling a a lot better about the whole thing,

Oddly enough, I'll still take this kind of "job stress" over just about anything else I've ever done. So there you go.

Okay, guys am I like the ONLY one on this thread that feels less pressure to write a great story now that I have an agent?

YAY LISA! Nothing like seeing the shining light at the end of a looonnngg WIP tunnel

Agreed, I'd take writing stress over anything else...It's 'cause we love what we do ;)

I'm done! Half my face is numb, but I got to watch Pirates of the Caribbean while he did it, so my mind was elsewhere. :tongue (The drooling was totally because of the Novocaine! LOL

Just waiting for it to wear off. This morning I wrote 5 more pages of notes on new story that has no name. Seriously, its writing itself! I am giddy! Numb but giddy! LOL

Glad to hear thing went okay YA *passes YA a new drool bib* Here's hoping for a quick recovery!

Boo.

Dang it all! :cry:

Uh, WIP and Shiny New Idea are fighting for Wordwrestler's love. Which will win?

Kellion that is my wildest dream :D

HAHAHHAHAHHAHA LOVE. IT! Could you IMAGINE how jammed the forum would be with us all yelling and screaming like a bunch of loons?

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Argh! Mail arrives at my house notoriously late. And beloved-brother-who may-not-have made-it-to-the-post-office is notoriously late too! Shiny New Idea's whispers have become plaintive pleas, ever louder! Must not give in! Must hold out just a little longer!

And yes, of course all the editors at ALA will be discussing our submissions, because, let's face it, what more fascinating, urgent topic of conversation could there be for a bunch of book lovers. Book lovers with new yearly budgets just begging to be spent!

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
And yes, of course all the editors at ALA will be discussing our submissions, because, let's face it, what more fascinating, urgent topic of conversation could there be for a bunch of book lovers. Book lovers with new yearly budgets just begging to be spent!

*rubs hands together* come ON spend spend...

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
YA, remember to drool-proof those five pages. So glad you're not in pain and the doctor let you ogle some pirates while he worked. I had to eye a suspicious water stain on the ceiling while I was getting my dental work. Oh, and begging for any kind of Novocain/pain killers (they hate giving pain relief in this country).

Shinta, so happy you connected with Agent and so happy your on sub. Let the butterflies-in-the-belly begin.

I just discovered that indeed the editor did NOT receive my submission (some "glitch" in the "system"). But because there were quite a few other authors who didn't get read either, he has graciously offered to read our work...despite the fact the anthology is already filled and money for stories spent. I'm hoping for a line or two of critique. At least I know I wasn't mad thinking my e-mail had been eaten...it had!

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
That sucks madder!!! Sometimes technology is not good! I hope something comes of it, maybe another book of anthology's because all the missed ones were so brilliant?

And OMG I have a V!cod!n happy dentist. I swear he has given me five prescriptions over the past year! I have a high pain tolerance and have never gotten them filled, but jeebus! Yes I have a toothache, no I don't need narcotics!

So, I'm writing tonight. Its going good! The scary part, I am actually creating a comprehensive outline. I know, someone call the men in white jackets. I just have so many ideas for this book, that I needed some kind of system to remember when and where, so I created a basic spreadsheet with events that need to happen, and subplots, and resolution. And approx how many pages each section needs to be.

I'm a little scared, cause well, I am a pantster!! But it feel *right* to do it this way. I so hope it works!!

Another really weird thing, I have no title. Usually I cannot write without a title. Maybe all the frustrated head banging damaged my brain! LOL

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
How did I miss this??
Yep, connected with agent( phew!). On submission. Officially a hellion. Please make room for me. Let the masochism begin.

Yaay Shinta! Did agent tell you what the hold up was?

Notwithstanding, when he began to tell me to print up my own fulls and send them (with his name attached) to the major houses, I knew it was going to end very badly.

Tri

Are. You. Shitting. Me??? Um of coures you'd leave, that's not your job! Why would you sell your own stuff and cut some yahoo a %?? What an a$$

I just discovered that indeed the editor did NOT receive my submission (some "glitch" in the "system"). But because there were quite a few other authors who didn't get read either, he has graciously offered to read our work...despite the fact the anthology is already filled and money for stories spent. I'm hoping for a line or two of critique. At least I know I wasn't mad thinking my e-mail had been eaten...it had!

Ouch :( Sorry madder....but (thinking positive) maybe they'll LOVE your stuff and want it for another anthology?

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED that frog so much that

<------- heehee

I'm glad our little neener has found a home. :)

Enjoyed reading the part about working on the wip but not the part about the root canal.
Hope it ends well, YAwriter72.

Yep, connected with agent( phew!). On submission. Officially a hellion. Please make room for me. Let the masochism begin.

Yay and good luck!!!

Glad your root canal went well (really well, from the sound of it!) and yay on self-writing story!

Double boo!

On a positive note, I have a great idea brewing for yet another WIP. Better get my research soon for the current WIP or Shiny New Idea is going to pull me all the way into its clutches!

Yay for Shiny New Idea!

Bummer! :Hug2:

So, I'm writing tonight. Its going good! The scary part, I am actually creating a comprehensive outline. I know, someone call the men in white jackets. I just have so many ideas for this book, that I needed some kind of system to remember when and where, so I created a basic spreadsheet with events that need to happen, and subplots, and resolution. And approx how many pages each section needs to be.

I'm a little scared, cause well, I am a pantster!! But it feel *right* to do it this way. I so hope it works!!

Another really weird thing, I have no title. Usually I cannot write without a title. Maybe all the frustrated head banging damaged my brain! LOL

Outline??? :Hail:

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
YA,

:Hug2: That is really too bad it got eaten.

wittyusernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
T

Yay for writing mojo! Having just sat through a two week period of waiting for someone in my head to say or do something, I can relate to how good it feels when something finally starts clicking - whatever it looks like, grab it by the short hairs and hang on!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Well, day four of the "I'll call early next week" wait has come and gone.

Guess I'll just keep waiting and writing the sequel.

Life is fun in "the circle"....

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
That sucks madder!!! Sometimes technology is not good! I hope something comes of it, maybe another book of anthology's because all the missed ones were so brilliant?

And OMG I have a V!cod!n happy dentist. I swear he has given me five prescriptions over the past year! I have a high pain tolerance and have never gotten them filled, but jeebus! Yes I have a toothache, no I don't need narcotics!

You kinda remind me of this summer when JamieB had surgery, and she was writing high on medicine. Srsly, it was awesome though what she produced. We were all asking for drug doggie bags!

That's so cool that you're working outside your comfort realm. Could it be a sign? Who knows!

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Soulcascade, the suspense of not hearing from my agent ( who had signed off, end of December, saying she was looking forward to the submission in January) was killing me, of course, I knew that she had fired me and torched my manuscript and blocked my email addy etc etc. Well, several sleepless nights later, I called her on the phone as she was just sitting down to write to me, she said. She was swamped. Some minor family crisis. She apologized profusely. We are friends once again.

Vandal, early next week for sure, I promise.

Madderblue, another chance to have the story read and critiqued sounds fantastic.

YAwriter, what a wonderful feeling it is to make progress on your WIP! A Killer title will emerge in your dreams.

Wordwrestler, thanks for reminding us about the yearly budget. I hope they feel generous about spending it on us, poor AW souls, who have ripped our spleens out, writing great books.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Vandal, phone calls coming. I'm with Shinta--"early next week".

YA, look at you all fancy-pantsy (or *not* pantsy...or "panster" as the case may be). This new idea sounds gooood!

Said Editor e-mailed back and promised to read ASAP and let me know what he thought. Right now though I'm going to make a list of magazines where it might find a home.

Question: I was raised in the South and I never said "neener, neener, neener" (As a matter of fact, I learned it on AW). I used to say "nanny nanny boo boo".
Which of course ends with the immortal line, "stick your head in doo doo". I think I might be the only none-neener-neener-knowing person on the Internet. Anyone else? Curious.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Vandal - Your agent will call. I'm from the "future," remember? I knowz stuff...:D

Madder - I was a neener virgin before AW too. I always used - nyah nyah nyah nyah (hmmm. I'm not even sure that's how you spell it!) :)

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Soulcascade, the suspense of not hearing from my agent ( who had signed off, end of December, saying she was looking forward to the submission in January) was killing me, of course, I knew that she had fired me and torched my manuscript and blocked my email addy etc etc. Well, several sleepless nights later, I called her on the phone as she was just sitting down to write to me, she said. She was swamped. Some minor family crisis. She apologized profusely. We are friends once again.

I'm glad you were able to sort things out with your agent. :)

In general, I think writers live in a heightened state of paranoia (I know it's true in my case!) and that 9 times out of 10, what we imagine is certainly worse than reality. Sometimes we forget that agents/editors are human too and that they have lives outside of the publishing world. My own submission process was prolonged by wheat allergies, vacations, and even deaths in the family (all on the other side of the fence). And since I'm on the other side of the world, my agent has to schedule our calls after she's wrestled down her kids into bed (and just before mine get up!) - another reminder that she is a real person. :)

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I'm glad you were able to sort things out with your agent. :)

In general, I think writers live in a heightened state of paranoia (I know it's true in my case!) and that 9 times out of 10, what we imagine is certainly worse than reality. Sometimes we forget that agents/editors are human too and that they have lives outside of the publishing world. My own submission process was prolonged by wheat allergies, vacations, and even deaths in the family (all on the other side of the fence). And since I'm on the other side of the world, my agent has to schedule our calls after she's wrestled down her kids into bed (and just before mine get up!) - another reminder that she is a real person. :)

Yes! Towards the beginning I would be convinced agent man was going to fire me cause I (insert reason here) wasn't writing fast enough, was writing crap, couldn't sell MS. Heehee Madder talked me down a few times!! LOL

Oh and as far as not hearing boo from your agent, I'll join in there. Weeks go by and I start to wonder, did he get it? Does he hate it? Did he walk out of his office and get hit by a bus and no one told me?

Fingers crossed that next week will be the week when all in agentlandia have gotten caught up and they get back to all of us (Preferably with good news!)

And on a side note, I am pain free!! Now just need to knock out this sinus infection and I will be golden! (Course my mojo will probably go away, directly connected with fuzzy headness due to infected tooth.) Such is my life! LOL

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Well, day four of the "I'll call early next week" wait has come and gone.

Guess I'll just keep waiting and writing the sequel.

Life is fun in "the circle"....

:Hug2:

LOL It IS hard remembering people on the other side of the fence are human isn't it? I think it's just the complete lack of communication if something happens in our lives...that 'dead zone' silence is agony..
But I'm glad your agent got back to you! :hooray:

Said Editor e-mailed back and promised to read ASAP and let me know what he thought. Right now though I'm going to make a list of magazines where it might find a home.

Question: I was raised in the South and I never said "neener, neener, neener" (As a matter of fact, I learned it on AW). I used to say "nanny nanny boo boo".
Which of course ends with the immortal line, "stick your head in doo doo". I think I might be the only none-neener-neener-knowing person on the Internet. Anyone else? Curious.

Hey Madder, keep us posted when editor gets back to you. Humm, I'm Canadian so we used to say "nya nya nya" (on the east coast anyway) so, I'm new to the neener thing too :)

SOOOO TRUE!

Yes! Towards the beginning I would be convinced agent man was going to fire me cause I (insert reason here) wasn't writing fast enough, was writing crap, couldn't sell MS. Heehee Madder talked me down a few times!! LOL

Oh and as far as not hearing boo from your agent, I'll join in there. Weeks go by and I start to wonder, did he get it? Does he hate it? Did he walk out of his office and get hit by a bus and no one told me?

Fingers crossed that next week will be the week when all in agentlandia have gotten caught up and they get back to all of us (Preferably with good news!)

And on a side note, I am pain free!! Now just need to knock out this sinus infection and I will be golden! (Course my mojo will probably go away, directly connected with fuzzy headness due to infected tooth.) Such is my life! LOL

Agreed! It's so good to know I'm not the only writer who thinks *gasp* my agent will ditch me because of _______ <- fill in blank here

Awesome YA you're tough!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in Philadelphia, and we say nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah (five to get the proper inflection), and you can never go wrong with a good Nelson Munz haw-haw. Neener neener is new to me, as of yesterday.

Agents and editors are real people with real problems. Ironically, for them, this is a full-time job. Most of us only get to write an hour or three a day, yet they still go too slow for us. Then again, we are legion. They are few.

YA, glad you're feeling good today!

Juneluv12

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Agreed! It's so good to know I'm not the only writer who thinks *gasp* my agent will ditch me because of _______ <- fill in blank here

Awesome YA you're tough!

I just went through this on a small scale with my agent and my YAUF. She comes from a background of creative meetings, throwing out ideas, etc, and so I didn't realize she was just throwing out ideas. I literally panicked thinking my manuscript(the one I revised for like 9mos) was gonna be hacksawed up. Srsly, she had to go the first day and rescheduled the call for the next.

We had the most awesome talk on Wednesday night. She is sooo sweet, and she kept reiterating she only wanted me to do what I was comfortable with. And she kept saying, "Please tell me I'm out there! Don't agree with me if this is not what you're feeling!"

But at the same time it's hard to tell someone in the industry they don't know what they're talking about! LOL.

I srsly love her and feel so fortunate that I made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.