The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Mwhwahahah!

I might be the only one who found the looking for an agent process much more soul-crushing than the submission process. Which is weird, because it didn't take me that long to find an agent and my book was out on sub for a looonnnggg time. I'm not saying I didn't have some really bad moments during the sub process but having somebody who believed in me and my book made a big difference.

I'm with you Lisa, I found the agent hunt soul crushing. I think at least now, I know there's one person out there in the industry who sees something in my work. Before I just thought I'd be trying to get an agent forever. With that said, here's hoping I'm not on sub for the rest of my sane life...

Oh my gawd you guys, tentative:hooray: on new shiny idea.

I *think* its going to be awesome! Research is going great, pieces are falling into place, and its NOT contemporary! LOL I suppose UF or paranormal would be a better description, real world with fantastical things happening.

I was panicked thinking I had nothing new! Let's just hope I can come up with a really good plot now!!

Rock it out YA!

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
I got two agent Rs in the inbox this morning - Bwahahahahahaha! :evil

If you just came up with that gif on the fly, I bow to your awesomeness. I love obscure Simpsons refs, and that one did not even come to mind reading this thread!

Haha! I wish! It was actually as easy as typing "cricket poison images" on google. It was the first picture that popped up! :D

Oh my gawd you guys, tentative:hooray: on new shiny idea.

I *think* its going to be awesome! Research is going great, pieces are falling into place, and its NOT contemporary! LOL I suppose UF or paranormal would be a better description, real world with fantastical things happening.

I was panicked thinking I had nothing new! Let's just hope I can come up with a really good plot now!!

Awesome! Go YA!!!

Yay for YA!

And thanks, everybody!

I'm waiting for a package from my brother, who spent all last weekend researching and collecting materials only available locally (his and my WIP's locale, not mine). God bless 'im! Then I'll be able to bury myself in the next layer of my precious little WIP, which will deliver me from my pathetic state of telemarketer hatred.

Yay for packages! What a cool bro!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Camper, that is awesomely funny. Even if you don't contact them with a hearty bwaha, they'l be sorry when they see the Publishers Marketplace listing.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Soul, Avatar was pretty. Story line was quite predictable (sorry, J. C.). I was surprised I didn't even cry. I'm the one who cries at long distance phone call commercials. It was a nice romp though.

YA, Oooo~ UF with paranormal elements. I'm feeling your excitement all the way over here. Can't wait to hear the premise!

Callalily, That is hilarious! "producing asexually again..." :D

HappyCamper, I love Burns. I remember that episode.

Today's my first day alone since New Year's holidays ended. I'm stoked. Going to write a creepy-ass story for another anthology that's looking. That and research. That and research and a nap.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Go on, admit it. You wanted to write back and tell them about your deal, didn't you? ;)

Haha! I did indeed!

Dear Agent-who-took-five-months-to-reject-me-with-a-form-letter,

Thank you for your note. For your trouble, here's your 15% cut of my advance. Oh, wait. You rejected me, which means you get zilch.:tongue

Best regards,
HC
Slushpile Survivor

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Looks like we're all in the same boat, waiting, waiting and more waiting. I sent my new ms (YA mystery) to my agent early last week but heard nothing back, and usually she acknowledges receipt so she's either still off for Crimbo or snowed under (literally, as we all are in the UK right now with unusual amounts of snow!). I haven't started work on adult book, as I want to see what my agent thinks first but have started on Book 3 - a BIG YA fantasy which agent is excited about.

How do you guys approach writing and has it changed since you wrote your first novel and got an agent? What I mean is, usually, I just write, not much planning. I'll have my writer friend read the first coupla rough chapters as I write and usually revise those chapters based on what she says then get on with story. But with Book 3, I'm planning every 3 chapters and 'writing by numbers'. And I plan not to read anything I've written or let my friend read it until I finish draft 1 - I know, cer-azzzy and already, I'm struggling because I'm worried the first three chapters are a bit dull, I donno. Mebbe it's cos I'm not 'writing by the seats of my pants!'

As for Book 1, still on sub with UK / US agents but presume it won't happen now as been since October.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Trixie. Hope you hear back from your agent soon. :)

To answer your question -
Novel 1 involved INSANE amounts of research (it's set in many countries and covers different time periods). I wrote a couple of chapters and then let my hubby and mom read them.

Novel 2 is turning out to be easier and harder in some ways. It doesn't require as much research (everything takes place in a country I've lived in before and is set in the present), but I now find myself thinking about my agent and editor as I write - which may or may not be a good thing. I don't think I'll be sending anything off to my agent until it's really done as I tend to do massive amounts of editing after the first draft (she loves the concept though).

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Looks like we're all in the same boat, waiting, waiting and more waiting. I sent my new ms (YA mystery) to my agent early last week but heard nothing back, and usually she acknowledges receipt so she's either still off for Crimbo or snowed under (literally, as we all are in the UK right now with unusual amounts of snow!). I haven't started work on adult book, as I want to see what my agent thinks first but have started on Book 3 - a BIG YA fantasy which agent is excited about.

How do you guys approach writing and has it changed since you wrote your first novel and got an agent? What I mean is, usually, I just write, not much planning. I'll have my writer friend read the first coupla rough chapters as I write and usually revise those chapters based on what she says then get on with story. But with Book 3, I'm planning every 3 chapters and 'writing by numbers'. And I plan not to read anything I've written or let my friend read it until I finish draft 1 - I know, cer-azzzy and already, I'm struggling because I'm worried the first three chapters are a bit dull, I donno. Mebbe it's cos I'm not 'writing by the seats of my pants!'

As for Book 1, still on sub with UK / US agents but presume it won't happen now as been since October.

Hey Trixie...Humm I don't think too much has changed since I first started writing. I know I've developed a *tiny* obsession with writing tight. My first book was HUGE and I spent a ton of time revising it. It was full of fluff and filler that needed to be cut out. My next book was so sparse my friend begged me to add detail in a few places. So now I find with revisions I have to go back and add...
I don't outline, I have plot points I know I have to hit, but otherwise, I'm kind of like you in that I'll plan a chapter maybe too in advance.
I always read my stuff over a couple of times before I show anyone else (the whole MS). I just can't bear the thought of putting a friend through the agony of a first draft

With my first, I remember I read it over and over and over obsessively, hoping I'd get it perfect before I sent it to betas. It wasn't of course. Now I don't read it over quite so much.

I've started using spreadsheets to help me keep track of the story (I highly recommend it!)

Now I worry less about it being perfect (at one time I had trouble typing ANYTHING worried I'd mess it all up) and now I try to go along for the ride and have fun

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Trixie. Hope you hear back from your agent soon. :)

To answer your question -
Novel 1 involved INSANE amounts of research (it's set in many countries and covers different time periods). I wrote a couple of chapters and then let my hubby and mom read them.

Novel 2 is turning out to be easier and harder in some ways. It doesn't require as much research (everything takes place in a country I've lived in before and is set in the present), but I now find myself thinking about my agent and editor as I write - which may or may not be a good thing. I don't think I'll be sending anything off to my agent until it's really done as I tend to do massive amounts of editing after the first draft (she loves the concept though).

HC, I'm a noob at this *agent* thing. So, did you tell your agent what you were working on before while you were doing it or did you wait to see what they would think before you started?

Would you have written it anyway if they'd said *meh*?

Did you just tell them informally or did you have to write up a query letter?

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a noob too so I don't even know if what I did was exactly the protocol (but thank GOD it worked because it spared me the grief of writing another of those wretched queries!) :D We simply had lunch and I ran the idea by her (we had just gone on sub with novel 1 at that time). She said she thought it was great and I asked her when I should start showing her stuff. She said every author she had was different. Some liked to show her stuff as they went along (every fifty pages or so) while others waited until the book was done to get her thoughts. She left it up to me decide what I was comfortable with (which I can tell you does NOT involve writing queries, outlines or any type of synopsis.). Have I told you I love my agent? I. LOVE. MY. AGENT. :)

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Hello, TrixieLox, good question. I'm like SoulC. I actually haven't had my agent for even a year yet. But I think we are slightly similar in that I just submitted a mid grade (not YA) book to him and then next on my plate is an adult fiction book (which is the one he wanted to see). I'm waiting for a reply to see what my next move should be. I'm not even sure how I'll tackle the adult novel. Right now, tons of notes upon notes upon notes.

I hope you hear from your agent soon. Cold weather does slow people down. I can attest.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
And HappyCamper, no synopsis'. That is fantastic! Mine seems to be similar in the "everyone of my clients does it different". At least as far as I can tell. I was relieved.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Today will be a wash. At work till noon then off to have a root canal done. The fun, it just never stops!

HC - I had that urge when I got R's about 8 months after I signed with agent man. I SO wanted to email back and say, nah nee boo boo! LOL I'm five.

Trixie - I find it harder and easier. Harder because I am putting more pressure on myself to write a REALLY great book. I'm a panster and when it stalls out, I panic. BUT, its also easier because agent man has the final say whether I write the story or not, so it takes the pressure off to come up with something fantastic and spend months getting it perfect only to have him say, nah. I find the more I write, the more I slow down and plan though. Its to the point where I have to have a general idea where I'm going to get there.

maddr - OMG If E hates this idea I am done! LOL It is so cool!! And funny as hell! (At least I hope so!)

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Today will be a wash. At work till noon then off to have a root canal done. The fun, it just never stops!

HC - I had that urge when I got R's about 8 months after I signed with agent man. I SO wanted to email back and say, nah nee boo boo! LOL I'm five.

Yikes! Good luck with the root canal!

As for that delicious little urge *sets up booth* - free t-shirts for all!

neener_frog.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.