The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
HAHA, the who I think you are talking about house was one of the 3 passes that I've gotten. We've already subbed to another imprint there.

They had nice things to say, and it boiled down to this: I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to support DON'T HATE THE PLAYER on our list. The boy-focused YA genre is a little bit tricky and a tough sell, especially in this crowded market.

Sighs. LOL.

They've had mine since September. Still no response.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Humm does it rhyme with fantastic? ;) I'm hoping and praying that house picks up my MS too...

I'm really agnostic about publishers -- if an editor loves my book, I promise to love them back -- but my dream imprint is another children's house that begins with a C and is based in Cambridge, MA. We'd be so perfect for each other...

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Dear agent,

You fell in love with my ms, you signed me on, we revised feverishly for four months, you loved the revisions. You said we'd go into submission in January, 2010. Yet, I haven't heard from you this year despite two reminders. Are you okay? More importantly, am I okay? Are WE okay? Please speak up and put me out of this misery. To wait after submission is one thing, to wait before you go into submission is entirely another level of torture. Believe me.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Word, that's a good sign, since they gave June and I quick passes!

Oh, no. Don't make me start HOPING again!

Of course mine could have gone to a different editor there. Or they don't read in the order received and yours sounded more interesting, while mine doesn't make her want to pick it up and give it a read . . .

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Dear agent,

You fell in love with my ms, you signed me on, we revised feverishly for four months, you loved the revisions. You said we'd go into submission in January, 2010. Yet, I haven't heard from you this year despite two reminders. Are you okay? More importantly, am I okay? Are WE okay? Please speak up and put me out of this misery. To wait after submission is one thing, to wait before you go into submission is entirely another level of torture. Believe me.

Shinta, take deep breath. You're OK. I repped you more. Check your user CP.

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Wordwrestler. I am rooting that you hear from your dream editor soon...

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Dear agent,

Oh Shina! :Hug2:

Yes, that would have to be torture, and here's hoping and praying you hear something soon!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Dear agent,

I didn't notice this bolded part before. This is a little disconcerting, though not in the way you might think. It doesn't say your agent isn't really in love with your work, or isn't working on her pitch or something right now, but it is a poor communication habit that would really bother me. I take care not to nag my agent, but when I do e-mail her, she responds the same day.

My guess is she's either still on vacation, just got back and is overwhelmed, or is busy working for you and is not the best at replying promptly. Or she has a different idea of what promptly means. Maybe she's waiting till she's made some pitches and can send you a list of who has your work. Though you might prefer she just tell you what's going on right now (as would I), she might see that as unnecessary. OR your message didn't get there somehow.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Dear agent,

Aww Shinta :( Here's hoping Agent replies to you soon :Hug2:

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support everybody. Unfortunately, I cannot do much about nonresponse in this situation, until my dear (and usually exceptionally responsive) agent decides to get in touch (whatever be the reasons for this sustained silence). So, I shall go on with life...what happens happens.

Six more editors on this round, YAwriter 72? Let just one of them like it, please.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
We still haven't heard from 6 editors. Since June. I think the R got lost in the mail.

June, My brand new shiny one might possibly be contemp and I am freaking out! I do fantasy! Maybe we should compare notes! LOL

Haha, srsly, I'd be happy too!!! The thing with TG was it was far more involved with the actual human experience in high school than, "Oh wow, I can do this wth my wings, etc!"

I actually have another call with the agent tomorrow. She's a real hands on reviser, and I'm not used to that, so her "suggestions" yesterday were suggestions,not set in stone. Sooo, I was panicking about what all with the novel when she was throwing out ideas.

Sighs, lol. We didn't do this with the first mani, so it's all new. Hopefully tomorrow, we'll have more concrete stuff. But the thoughts of subbing two mani's makes me hurl even worse than now! LOL

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Lee! And June, Soulcascade, Word, and Shinta (whose agent is probably waiting for all of the agents to get through all of our pre-holiday submissions before submitting yours)!

Vandal, are you out there? What happened with the agent?

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
We subbed to 15 pubs, not sure my agent does a second tier or third tier. So the 6 are left over from round one and only!

Honestly, I'm not feeling the mojo with the one thats out there. I think it will be the one we are working on now or the faery one I am revising. BUT stranger things have happened, and I ma going to a childrens writers conference in a few months and am totally doing the editor critiques! Maybe it will garner interest and a request or two! :)

Good luck to everyone subbed and waiting, I think this is a lot harder than waiting on agent responses!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's harder, but it's out of our hands more. There is no revenge query. We just have to sit tight and wait for our agents to decide what's next.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Well, "early next week" has come and gone without an agent call.

Perhaps mid-week.

Perhaps next week.

Perhaps Lizzie is a lemon.

shinta

Registered
Reaction score
Vandal,

When did your agent start shopping DML to be talking lemons already?

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Vandal - Lizzie is not a lemon. Agents scrambled for it! Believe. :)

Shinta - :Hug2: Hope you hear from your agent soon. Had a similar experience with my agent (though I didn't send any "nudge" emails). It turns out the radio silence was because she got sick. The mental monsters I had during that time ate me up. Slowly. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. Hang in there. :)

Good luck to everyone! IT. WILL. HAPPEN.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I went to watch Avatar...gone for three hours and like there were three new pages to this thread!

Vandal, I love Ted Nugent. Just saying. Hang in there, phone call coming soon. Probably when you're just stepping out of the shower or something. Isn't it always??

And Shinta, too. Phone call any minute now. Whatever you do, don't take a shower. I'm serious.

The crickets in my inbox are still going strong. Although reading around it looks like the anthology I was really jonesin to get into has been filled and lack of notification can only mean I sacrificed my submission to the Internet gods.

YA, contemporary, I like it!

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's harder, but it's out of our hands more. There is no revenge query. We just have to sit tight and wait for our agents to decide what's next.

Agreed. I trust my agent 100% but I wasn't prepared for how...I donnno helpless? powerless? Over the submission to editors would be. I keep telling myself "You won't hear for a while yet, the holidays messed everything up.." Just to keep myself sane. Helps to throw myself into my current WIP too...

I went to watch Avatar...gone for three hours and like there were three new pages to this thread!

Vandal, I love Ted Nugent. Just saying. Hang in there, phone call coming soon. Probably when you're just stepping out of the shower or something. Isn't it always??

And Shinta, too. Phone call any minute now. Whatever you do, don't take a shower. I'm serious.

The crickets in my inbox are still going strong. Although reading around it looks like the anthology I was really jonesin to get into has been filled and lack of notification can only mean I sacrificed my submission to the Internet gods.

YA, contemporary, I like it!

What'd you think of Avatar? I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I'll give it another watch when it comes out, I'm thinking maybe I had too high of expectations for it

Okay folks, who's with me for buying cricket poison? Those nasty critters have been tormenting us for too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.