Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I'm less stuck and more stressed from just not having enough time to write. Yesterday, today, tomorrow and Thursday? FILLED FILLED FILLED! Maybe I can sneak in a little time at the office but blech, I can't really focus there. I need a writing vacation.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Okay, so apparently I was just being dramatic. I reread what i had written and realized the problem is, I can't use anything I had from the first attempt. I was trying to cut and paste scenes, and because the new version is so much darker, the old stuff just doesn't work at all. Once i realized that and looked over my revision notes, I remembered how good it would be. But now I have to entirely rewrite 250 pages. No cheating and no help from old 250 pages. ARGH!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
YA, why do you say you can't do contemporary? If I'm remembering correctly, you had a book that didn't work, but that doesn't mean you can't do it with the right characters and story.

Blech. My fake sacred text is getting very complicated and I'm not sure if it will be awesome or a mess. Once again, I have a simple story with way too much theme and mythology layered on top of it -- speculative biochemistry, medieval theology, new age mysticism. And a talking squirrel.

ETA: Oops, cross posted with you, YA. So I did remember correctly! And I still say one story that didn't work doesn't mean that no other stories will!

Last edited:

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Lee! I'm excited for you.

Sighs, no news yet for me either from the pubs. Agent was loving TG last time I talked to her, so we should be going out with it soon. 2 books on sub= me potentially having nervous breakdown!

And F*nda Snyd*r from R*b Weisb*ch Cr*at*ve Management reps me. :)

Does anyone else feel like they're typing in Morse code? LOL

Haha you're not alone, I feel that way too

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
YA you're not alone. I'm re-writing an old MS. I thought I'd be able to tweak here and there, just to find I'm doing much WAY more deleting and writing then I'd expected. It's a little daunting (though not quite as daunting as writing 250 fresh pages...eep) But I'm having a blast :)

YAwriter72

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebross.com
YA you're not alone. I'm re-writing an old MS. I thought I'd be able to tweak here and there, just to find I'm doing much WAY more deleting and writing then I'd expected. It's a little daunting (though not quite as daunting as writing 250 fresh pages...eep) But I'm having a blast :)

I JUST finished (Like Monday) A complete rewrite of another book that I thought I'd be able to grab from but ended up completely rewriting (215 pages). So I'm feeling more confident its just a LOT of words to do nothing with! LOL

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone observed what plotting devices that technology has eliminated for us as writers? The availability of mobile phones and google obliterates many otherwise promising plot twists, misunderstandings, and mysteries.

Last edited:

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Has anyone observed what plotting devices that technology has eliminated for us as writers? The availability of mobile phones and google obliterates many otherwise promising plot twists, misunderstandings, and mysteries.

Yes! Very frustrating.

Also, I wrote a middle grade science fantasy that took place in the contemporary real world about 10 years ago, and now much of the made-up stuff is not only real, but in common use, accessible to children.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Ha Word! Those 3G phones finally made good on Dick Tracy.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
I JUST finished (Like Monday) A complete rewrite of another book that I thought I'd be able to grab from but ended up completely rewriting (215 pages). So I'm feeling more confident its just a LOT of words to do nothing with! LOL

Are you finding with your re-write that the story's not even the same? (lol I know with 200 + fresh pages, that's a redundant question). Anyway, I figured with my re-write, the story would at least feel similar, but it doesn't at all. The characters don't even act the same as they did in the original. I'm slowly admitting to myself that this is a new story entirely but with a few scattered old scenes that have been recycled

YAwriter72

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebross.com
Are you finding with your re-write that the story's not even the same? (lol I know with 200 + fresh pages, that's a redundant question). Anyway, I figured with my re-write, the story would at least feel similar, but it doesn't at all. The characters don't even act the same as they did in the original. I'm slowly admitting to myself that this is a new story entirely but with a few scattered old scenes that have been recycled

Yes, exactly! The only similarity are the characters have the same names! LOL But new version really is so much better, agent man was right. It needs to be unfluffy and not-normal. (Hmm..sounds like me!) :roll:

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
I had a beta tell me my first WIP was too 'babyish' (winge). I don't know that this MS is darker, but it feels more...intense and the stakes for my mc have definitely been raised.
Phew, I'm so glad to hear we're in the same-ish boat. It's nice ot have someone to relate to. I'm far more pleased with this version too

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
PS haha I can't even say all of my character's have the same names, I changed one from a girl to a guy and changed the name...and yet I had the nerve to cling to the illusion that I hadn't changed much !

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ok guys, just so I'm held accountable, I'm posting my year of goals here for you all to see.

I think I'm going to go stark raving mad.

January - Finish first draft of Book 2. Do first preliminary revision, and get it out to betas.
February - Finish final revision/polish of Muse, pitch it to The Agent.
March - Finish first draft of my last Nano novel, get the preliminary revision done, get it out to betas.
April - Implement beta notes into Book 2, get it shipped to The Agent (if he wants to see it first)
May - Implement beta notes into Nano novel, possibly start outlining new plot bunny hopping around in my head
June - Promotion for Devil
July - Promotion for Devil, polish Book 2 & send it to The Editor.
August - Outline Book 3
September - Begin book 3, do whatever revisions on book 2 that The Editor requires
October - Book 3
November - Plot bunny book for Nano
December - Book 3

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Good schedule, Tas. Very aggressive and professional. But that's what you are, right? A professional novelist! Woohoooo!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:fistpump I just got a welcome letter from my editor! they're having a "vision" meeting for my book tomorrow! :banana: Then she asked me how I felt about revisions, and I repeated my usual: I have coffee and an X-acto knife. Bring it. :sword:

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.