The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight into the risk-aversion of the publishing world, Red. Hopefully soon someone will be ready to make the next big thing, rather than follow it...

Today is my three-week submission anniversary. I'm thinking my agent probably will nudge this week, right? And thus I will get an R or three and perhaps she will have some vague non-news to share, like that someone is "still considering it" or maybe someone likes it, if I'm really lucky. Or maybe nothing at all...

So I'm going to wait for my agent's presumed nudges to do their magic, and then touch base on Wednesday if I don't hear from her. Does that sound like a rational, measured, and non-insane strategy?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I know...I don't even get the fun penile implant ones anymore...it's totally died!

At least it is free shipping season. All the catalogs I have ever ordered from are eager for my non-existent holiday dollars.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I know...I don't even get the fun penile implant ones anymore...it's totally died!

No kidding.

And even though my subbed book got "lukewarm response" and is pretty much dead in the water right now, I still *hope* I'll get an unexpected email saying, "hey, someone wants it!"

Furiously editing not one but two books right now. Both UF. Hopefully one will hit the spot!

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
No kidding.

And even though my subbed book got "lukewarm response" and is pretty much dead in the water right now, I still *hope* I'll get an unexpected email saying, "hey, someone wants it!"

Furiously editing not one but two books right now. Both UF. Hopefully one will hit the spot!

I believe in you, Lee! I've read your teasers and snips, and they kick ass. I'm not how it's feasible your stuff hasn't been snatched up.

Whoo, hoo for books 2 and 3!!!

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just sitting here in hell waiting for my agent to get my manuscript back to me....
I don't think we'll be submitting until the new year.

YAwriter72

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebross.com
I believe in you, Lee! I've read your teasers and snips, and they kick ass. I'm not how it's feasible your stuff hasn't been snatched up.

Whoo, hoo for books 2 and 3!!!

Everything I've teased is from the new stuff. I think the book on sub (The one that got me agent man) is too light and fluffy. It would have fit in great last year, but with this market, its not really whats selling right now.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Everything I've teased is from the new stuff. I think the book on sub (The one that got me agent man) is too light and fluffy. It would have fit in great last year, but with this market, its not really whats selling right now.

Do you think that barbecued manwhore is dark enough? :tongue

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm going to wait for my agent's presumed nudges to do their magic, and then touch base on Wednesday if I don't hear from her. Does that sound like a rational, measured, and non-insane strategy?

Seems reasonable to me!

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
am waiting and hoping and praying I get a US or UK deal too....

Trixie, this is such an example of the theory of never-ending hell for writers. When I heard about your European deal, I thought to myself that I would be happy if I sold my book ANYWHERE. But of course when that has happened, it's not enough!

I'm sure the next deal is in the works for you and it will happen... Question: Did you mention whether your book would be published in English or in translation? I need to know which Berlitz guide to buy.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
*whimper* The Agent just emailed and said the outline is confusing and could I send a synopsis.

:cry: I don't have one! Augh! *reorganizes evening*

An awful task, but maybe it will be helpful to you too? I find writing synopsis to be a whole load of not-fun myself.

YAwriter72

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebross.com
Okay, I edited 56 pages today, cut 3000 words and ended up 1000 ahead of where I started. Not too bad. The hardest part is weaving in the new plotline through. Thank goodness this book is written and just needs reorganizing. I left off with one of the characters trapped and unconscious in a car about to explode. Not sure if he lives or not yet! Yikes!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trixie, this is such an example of the theory of never-ending hell for writers. When I heard about your European deal, I thought to myself that I would be happy if I sold my book ANYWHERE. But of course when that has happened, it's not enough!

I'm sure the next deal is in the works for you and it will happen... Question: Did you mention whether your book would be published in English or in translation? I need to know which Berlitz guide to buy.

Ha ha, it'll be translated. I'm delighted, really delighted but naturally, I want to see my book in English but I can't grumble (can't doesn't mean won't, the angst never ends).

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ha ha, it'll be translated. I'm delighted, really delighted but naturally, I want to see my book in English but I can't grumble (can't doesn't mean won't, the angst never ends).

That would be a bit strange if your book comes out in a foreign language first and the first you see of your work printed and bound with your name on the cover, it's under a foreign title! But how cool to have fans who don't even speak the same language entering your world.

And those English rights will come in time!

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Translation has to be pretty expensive, so the publisher must be tremendously excited about your work for that to happen, right? The UK/US rights will come. Maybe your European publisher even knows something you don't...

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Also, the crass and practical side of me has to say that sales are sales and money is money. It all translates as "Ka-ching!" Hopefully a nice chunk is coming your way to put toward your bills, Trixie!

Ah, the thought of a mailbox containing checks written to me, instead of by me! <sighs and waits and dreams of fifty-cent royalty checks>

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the publishers are excited - 2 of them bid for it! But it's weird cos you don't hear from them until contracts are signed so still doesn't feel real. And yes, decent advance (to be crass and practical ;-) Agent emailed just now to say she's hopeful for 'more deals' too though market v.v. tough right now.

Am struggling through WIP (finished first draft few weeks ago, now revising and losing hope) but came up with an commercial series idea the other day so looking forward to running that past agent.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:hooray: Trixie! That's teh awesome!

Created a 3-page synopsis from a 6K-word outline in 2 hours last night. (That sounds like the opening screen from an episode of Numbers. :tongue) For a book I haven't yet written. Told The Agent to shred away.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
:hooray: Trixie! That's teh awesome!

Created a 3-page synopsis from a 6K-word outline in 2 hours last night. (That sounds like the opening screen from an episode of Numbers. :tongue) For a book I haven't yet written. Told The Agent to shred away.

Congrat's Lily (and maybe Charlie could come up with a magical formula that makes a synopsis foolproof...)

YAwriter72

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leebross.com

Wow! Awesome job on getting it down to 3 pages! (ROFL re:Numbers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.