Critiques

willfs

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone who critiques children's books? It's not that I am too sensitive to post on syw. I have been warned not to put my best work out there on the web for anyone to see. I know that the syw forum is password protected but anyone can eventually get the password.

I have had story ideas in my head for years. In the past year I started putting some of them down. I feel I am to the point where I want to see how my best stuff would do outside my own little writing circle made up of me, my computer, and Microsoft word.

Are my concerns about putting my best work on the web legitimate?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone who critiques children's books?
I know a great writing coach, if you're looking for someone professional. He charges $150 to read 30 pages and give you a one-hour critique. PM me if that's what you had in mind.

Are my concerns about putting my best work on the web legitimate?
I don't think so. You wouldn't be posting entire manuscripts, only pieces, so what good would it do anyone to copy you? No one else will capture your unique approach to the subject. Even if someone copied your premise, you'd end up with two different products. I mean, how many versions of Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella are out there? And yet, new ones sell.

Getting critiqued scares me, but not because I'm afraid they'll steal my ideas. I'm afraid they'll shred my ideas and spit out the seeds...

But it never happens. They're always helpful, in a kind way.