bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A girly question: notebook covers?

A girly question: notebook covers?

I carry a 5 x 8 spiral notebook with me everywhere. Can anyone recommend a cover that I can slip around the notebook so the spiral wire doesn't catch or scratch anything inside my purse? Thanks!

I steal my notebooks from work. They have a regular bound spine as opposed to a spiral spine. Beggers can't be choosy.

Maybe someone else can hep ya.

got me.

I used to write, "I Sav" and "Def Leppard" all over mine, but that isn't what you meant I guess.
    Oh and "I Sammy Hagar."

One time in freshman year in college I had, "I Craig", a bonifide real life guy, and then found myself standing with him in the elevator. He was looking at my note book. YIKES.

Now I Mr. Groove.

OK I'll stop now.

I am envisioning a peice of card board fashioned like a book cover but haven't quite figured out how to attach it.
    Last edited by sassandgroove; 02-20-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

Maybe I should just start buying the bound spine notebooks. That would solve the problem right there.

At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
    Yup. I recommend the bound notebooks. Especially Clairefontaine. They make a very nice, cheap, bound 6 x 8. And then you can worry about who you instead avoiding snaggy wires.
    ~Bryn

I'm not much good with notebooks. I bought a pink fluffy one once in the hope that it would encourage some happy, fluffy stories. It got exceptionally grubby in the bottom of my handbag and eventually the dog got it. It remained pristine inside, however, as I never came up with an appropriate idea.
    Why do you like spiral bound ones? Don't they come unbound?

Infuriatingly Theoretical TheIT's Avatar
    Perhaps a cloth book cover might fit, or maybe you could slip the notebook into a ziplock plastic bag? I use spiral bound Clairefontaine notebooks (love the colored paper) and haven't had a problem with them catching on anything. Also, I carry a cloth napkin to put the notebook on when I'm writing in restaurants just in case the table is wet.
    Weave a web of words and trap the unwary on the stickiness of meaning.

NaNoWriMo 2014: Swimming Through the Maelstrom

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Try making your own cover, like you'd do for a book?

Of course you could always wrap it in silk and put it in a small hand made bag, wrap that in tissue and place it in a slim lacquered box. You could then bring it out reverently like some religious artefact, though by the time you've done all that you might have lost the impulse of the moment. I do like the ritual of note taking I just rarely have notes to take.

Can't you just buy the kind of notepad that doesn't snag?

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    I agree with those that say ditch the spiralbound format. I discovered Moleskine notebooks at Borders and have fallen in love with them. My favorite, the Cahier model, is very light, with low-glare pages, and very secure binding. It actually lies flat pretty well, too.

Be aware that the big dif between Moleskine and Clairefontaine is the level of finish to the paper. Moleskine is more appropriate if you use drier inks, like a ball point or a fine point gel. Clairefontaine is preferable if you use a fountain pen, wider gel pen, or other liquid inks. They tend to feather on Moleskine's coarser paper. I paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    I agree with those that say ditch the spiralbound format. I discovered Moleskine notebooks at Borders and have fallen in love with them. My favorite, the Cahier model, is very light, with low-glare pages, and very secure binding. It actually lies flat pretty well, too.
    ~Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by Birol View Post
    Try making your own cover, like you'd do for a book?
    Oh, maybe I could knit a notebook cozy!

Old kid. Tough skin!!
    Gosh! You people are organized. I envy you. I make notes on old envelopes, napkins, sales receipts, my hand, the edge of a newspaper page, anything in a bind. And I never have a note book when I need it.

I'm always making notes, too, because when I'm out away from the computer and see people reacting, that's when I get ideas on lots of good stuff. If I don't write it down, I'll forget it. I have an entire system of folders set up in my computer to transfer them to so I can find them when I need them. Now, that I've got organized.

practical experience, FTW chevbrock's Avatar
    Maybe you could get a pair of pliers and bend the snaggy bit inside the spiral in the notebook?
    "Kicker",

Troy Berrier has the world at his feet. He is about to take the freestyle motorcross world by storm when he wins the world MX-Stream game finals.

But Troy's definition of the word, “life”, is about to be shifted. The ensuing struggle will test his friendships and his faith in himself.

Email christinabatey@y7mail.com

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    How about a composition book?
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowGirl View Post
    Oh, maybe I could knit a notebook cozy!
    You're weird. Don't you know the wires would snag on the yarn?

Quote Originally Posted by Birol View Post
    You're weird. Don't you know the wires would snag on the yarn?
    Doh! Yeah, I forgot about that. *sigh*

I checked out the Clairefontaine notebooks and fell in love. Time to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    Yup. I recommend the bound notebooks. Especially Clairefontaine. They make a very nice, cheap, bound 6 x 8. And then you can worry about who you instead avoiding snaggy wires.
    ohhh those are purdy.
    Sassy
    my creative journey: sassandgroove.wordpress.com

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
    (image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    Well now I'm curious. There goes my paypal emergency fund...
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

The Clairefontaines are totally worth it. They're like an upscale composition book. I used to use comp books, but what I hated was how hard it was to get narrow ruled ones. Most are wide ruled, which I hated.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntermoon View Post
    Well now I'm curious. There goes my paypal emergency fund...
    ~Bryn

I write notes on the palm of my hand. Sometimes I forget to wash them off, and I get strange looks in stores...

But yeah, maybe try a bound notebook. Or a notebook cozy - that just sounds like fun!

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    Another difference is that the Moleskines, at least the Cahier line, are very work-a-day looking, very unpretentious, especially the ones with the Kraft brown binding. This makes me feel I can scribble any old thing in them, whereas the Clairefontaines are so pretty I'd feel I had to live up to them and write something timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    Be aware that the big dif between Moleskine and Clairefontaine is the level of finish to the paper. Moleskine is more appropriate if you use drier inks, like a ball point or a fine point gel. Clairefontaine is preferable if you use a fountain pen, wider gel pen, or other liquid inks. They tend to feather on Moleskine's coarser paper. I paper.

I made my own fabric notebook cover with pockets and a handle, since I require a lot of crap just to take notes. If you're not a sewer, they sell some nice nylon ones at Barnes and Noble. Some have really nice prints on them, and some are solids I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MeowGirl View Post
    I carry a 5 x 8 spiral notebook with me everywhere. Can anyone recommend a cover that I can slip around the notebook so the spiral wire doesn't catch or scratch anything inside my purse? Thanks!

Infuriatingly Theoretical TheIT's Avatar
    These are my favorite notebooks:

http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/clair...k--medium.html

I've never had a problem with them snagging on anything, and it took 4 1/4 notebooks to hold the first draft of my novel. The colored paper and tabs help remind me where different scenes are. Locally, I found them at The Container Store of all places.
    Weave a web of words and trap the unwary on the stickiness of meaning.

NaNoWriMo 2014: Swimming Through the Maelstrom

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time

practical experience, FTW
    If you're ok with leather, this company makes nice leather covers that you can re-use for different books/notebooks:

http://www.renaissance-art.com/catg96/category.aspx
    Peek into my corner of the blogging universe: http://writinghermit.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast