• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Write Literary Agency, Ltd. (Shubnum Gill)

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this Agency formed in 2006. The name worried me but that could just be an unfortunate choice. They're in the Writers and Artists Yearbook and listed on their website. When I try to link to the agency website though, it won't have it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of them and I thought I knew of most of the UK agents who handle SF.
A Google search on the agent's name brings up mostly hits on an Indian artist.
The agency phone number is a mobile

None of these are positive signs.
If the agency was founded in 2006 they should have made some sales by now so it would be worth asking them what they've sold.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
A Google search on the agent's name brings up mostly hits on an Indian artist.

Just checked this out. Lovely pictures. Don't quite go with my story.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
You'd think they'd be a bit more creative with their name. Kind of reminds me of the Yugo car company.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my MS back today marked 'addresseee has gone away'. I should have checked more carefully before sending it but the 'agency' wasn't listed here and was in Writers' and Artists' Yearbook.
If you can't trust them, who can you trust?
Next, someone'll tell me there's no Santa Claus :(

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
New?

Does anyone have any new information about this place? A writer friend sent a submission to them, but if this is some place she should be wary of, I'd like to give her a heads up.

Thanks!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing much online, their website still doesn't work. The fact that nothing comes up suggests to me they have no sales listed anywhere. I think the general Not Recommended feeling probably sticks in this case. I would tell your writer friend to seek out better agencies and forget this one.

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.wlwritersagency.com/index.html

This website works for them. I had no problems navigating through their site. What threw up a red flag to me...and what caused me to come here and look for a thread--is that they have a page for the authors they 'represent'. But when you go to that page, all that's there are a bunch of first names and 'job' descriptions for their supposedly contracted authors. To me, if you're not confident enough in who you are to list your writers, then chances are you've got no writers. And I'm sure their argument to that would be their writers want their privacy. However, I've never met a published writer who didn't want to be associated with their publisher or--in this case--their agency. It's free promotion.

Thanks for your reply.

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked with Piers Anthony's site where he reports that The Writers Literary Agency charges the writer for each round of edits, and then puts the manuscript through numerous edits, which in turn costs the writer hundreds of dollars. He also reports that they contact POD publishers without the writer's knowledge or approval, who then solicit the writers.

I knew something smelled bad. Always trust the gut--or nose! ;)

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you CaoPaux. I somehow overlooked the proper link, mistaking this one for the one I was looking for. Thank you for your help.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No longer listed on W&A, and no mention elsewhere.