• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

HELP! harassment

Vauren Davidson

Can anyone give me a little direction? I help run a poetry writing group and a few of us are being harassed, and now stalked (physically, not just online) by a former member. What can we do to protect ourselves? We have some booksignings coming up and are a bit scared.

RottenLuckWillie

Call the cops! Try to get a restraining order. Good luck!
rlw

FM St George

first, call the police and ask their advice - you may want to consider hiring a private security guard for your signings if only to provide a sense of physical security.

get legal advice regarding your rights to have this person placed under a restraining order if need be and do everything by the book...

let us know what happens!

rtilryarms

yes

Yes call police. They have ZERO tolerance for this. They will help you.

Do you know who this person is? If you don't maybe I can help.

[email protected]

Vauren Davidson

progress

Well I called the police. You were right...NO tolerance. I do know who he is, where he lives, etc. He gave my friend and I his business card when we met with him. I live in NY, he lives about 20 minutes away in NJ. Since we're in two different states, my state police are contacting his state police and charges of aggrevated harassment will be filed. After that's officially on the record, we can get a restraining order. Honestly, I'm still a little keyed up about it though.

emeraldcite

Re: progress

the best advice is proceed with caution. too many nuts out there.

rtilryarms

if he contacts you.........

Tell him you know the coin. The coin will haunt him until his last dying breath if he doesn't leave you alone.

heh

just a little levity to brighten you up

Vauren Davidson

Re: if he contacts you.........

*LOL* NOT the COIN!!! *screams in pretended terror*

rtilryarms

lol

the ultimate nightmare.

Someone has to do a screenplay on this!

Vauren Davidson

the coin of doom!

I envision...a coin rising from a misty swamp...then attacking people like the Monty Python BUNNY!!!!

qatz

Re: AAAAAAHH!

yah know, V, i used to take the Coin lightly. Not any more!

Signed, Smashed to Bits by Six Bits

ps. Your concern is real and valid. Sounds like the police are doing good for you! Keep us posted.

LiamJackson

Re: dang

Nearly every state in the union has enacted anti-stalking legislation over the past decade and most prosecutors are chomping at the bits to try out the new laws. Compared to "restraining orders," stalking laws are somewhat easier to enforce, and judges/juries usually deal out severe penalties.

Cops typically have low tolerances for stalkers, but at one time, they were loathe to aggressively go after offenders due to a lack of hard-line legislation. That attitude has mostly changed for the better, although, as with anything, there are exceptions. Best of luck to ya'.

qatz

Re: dang

thanks liam. know your options, and work with the cops. do whatever is necessary--a restraining order may be a first step.

Cindy Dale

call the cops and then call the press - what a great publicity. Seriously though, I hope you get it sorted out.

HapiSofi

And be extra careful after you get the restraining order. Some of 'em go ballistic when you do that.

If anything makes you nervous, pay attention to it. Don't stay out late/take mass transit to save cabfare/fail to make a scene because you're not sure/et cetera. The police files are full of documentation about citizens who formerly were reticent and polite and embarrassed, and now are dead.

Also, don't have any contact with the stalker. None. No talking, no seeing, no writing, no nothing. Trust me on this one.

Good luck.

Vauren Davidson

Thanks everyone! This psycho seems to have faded away. We had some local book signings that were advertised and were fearing a bit that he'd show up, but he didn't. Hopefully he's not, like, outside my window about to murder me right now...*grabs a rolling pin and goes to bed* :gone

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Harassment and stalking

And since that was the last post, I hope you weren't murdered in your bed that night.

Seriously, internet chat can be fun and games, but the minute it turns into real-world stalking get the real-world police on the job.

DenimSoul

Shelf bound or bust!
Registered
Reaction score
Lord have mercy, has anyone heard from Vauren Davidson since her last post here?

I'm just reading all of this for the first time and it is simply amazing how innocent people can end up in big messes and they've never done a single solitary thing to become involved.