• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Joelle Delbourgo Associates

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Guess not, but she looks great. Best of luck!

Lyrehca

Registered
Reaction score
Molly Lyons?

Has anyone had any experience with Molly Lyons at Joelle Delbourgo?

Lyrehca

Registered
Reaction score
Follow up on Delbourgo agency

Just to follow up, I ended up signing with Molly Lyons at Delbourgo (and chose her from five agents interested in my health non fiction book proposal) and she sold my book earlier this week. She's professional, smart and I've only had good experiences with her, and this agency, thus far.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Last edited:

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
I just signed with Joelle. Although she hasn't sold my manuscript (YET), I'm very pleased to have her as an agent. She's very enthusiastic and supportive of what I want to do. She also made suggestions that really improved the quality of my work.

I hope that helps.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Website says they offer services to both writers signed and un-signed with them. I imagine services to un-signs are for pay. Doesn't this put them in conflict with AAR? (Are they even AAR? I haven't been able to find information on this.)

Thanks, guys.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused. On Publish Marketplace it says she does children books, but I can't really find on her site what she represents.

Pinguicha

Has the cutest cat in the world!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pinguicha.wordpress.com
From her website:

"You may submit the following to us: memoir, fiction, narrative nonfiction, business and career, psychology, parenting, health, popular culture, current events, history, science, biography, popular reference, young adult and middle grade fiction."

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I checked the AAR website and she appears to be a member...
Color me confused, then. I don't see how an AAR agent can charge for editorial and other consultative services. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Color meconfused, then. I don't see how an AAR agent can charge for editorial and other consultative services. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Color me the same, rich. The agency doesn't separate its fee-based editorial arm from its agenting services. I'm surprised that P&E doesn't have this group flagged.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There's been a thread based on a blog post by Joelle Delbourgo. Apparently, she has her work email sent to her Smartphone and doesn't like receiving anything on weekends or after hours...which makes it a bit difficult for those of us on the West Coast, people who work odd shifts, etc.

I'd post the link, but I'm terrible at it. The post is in Ask the Agent.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this tweet from Joelle Delbourgo. I thought I'd share this tip in case anyone is gonna query her.

"Never start a query letter by plunging into your synopsis. Tell us what kind of book you are writing first. #pubtip" 4/14/2014 tweet

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Huh?

I guess that could be as simple as the stock intro: (Title) is an (word count) (genre) novel about (short, pithy logline). Skip a space, then swing into one or two paragraph synopsis.

I'm out of practice in deciphering agent-speak.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh?

I guess that could be as simple as the stock intro: (Title) is an (word count) (genre) novel about (short, pithy logline). Skip a space, then swing into one or two paragraph synopsis.

I'm out of practice in deciphering agent-speak.

My interpretation is similar to yours. Maybe begin with something like: "I'm seeking representation for Galaxy Wars, a science fiction completed at 100,000 words." Maybe add a logline. In my agent research, I actually came across quite a few agents who liked loglines. Then begin a new paragraph about your story.

Personally, I kinda like it this way. I've always thought it was awkward to begin with the story right away, although I did it that way with my own query because that was the prevailing style (at least in QLH).

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking to potentially query Jacquie Flynn, but was surprised that no one's talked about this agency in about five years! Does anyone have any recent experiences with them?

Bhuku

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any updates for this agency (specifically Joelle Delbourgo herself)?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jacqui in April of 2021 at which point she had a request rate in sci fi of 1/132 (132 queries in SF and one request for more.) I did not hear back, and was unsurprised.