Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't buy books I don't intend to read, but the fact is a lot of times I don't get to read or finishing reading them.

I figure I'll have all the time on my hands when I'm on my death bed.

Just wait, Ray. The next time I pick up Pacific, I'm not going to finish it. I'll just read 63 pages and put it back on my shelf. That'll teach ya.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I buy more books than I can read...I recently put my house on the market, so while de-cluttering, I attacked the bookshelf in the living room and removed all the books I've already read.

And still, there's over three dozen books on the shelves. I'll get to them eventually, but in the meantime I'll keep adding to the TBR pile. (the next house has a library. A library!! *swoons*)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes...books are very pretty. I buy some just because they look fantastic. I'm one of the people who get sucked in by pretty marketing ploy covers.

Potluck

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
check pacific out from the library and then blue pencil it. Lots of RUE on every 5th page.

(Just kidding. That sounded kinds mean.)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing I will do is buy a book with every intention of reading it, but will either never open the book, or will try to read and not get into it. I have quite a few of those.

Some titles that come to my mind include:

The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams -- wonderful writer; the book just went too slowly for my taste.

Sons Of The Oak by David Farland -- I found the writing a little hard to handle, and I'll leave it at that.

Cauldron by Jack McDevitt -- Haven't even opened the book yet, and am somewhat afraid to as I purchased it from the same book club as I did the David Farland book. I didn't have a chance to open it and find out if I liked it before purchasing it, and I've never read this author before. :Shrug: I will likely open it before long, simply to give it a chance.

Reserved For The Cat by Mercedes Lackey -- I fell in love with Mercedes Lackey's storytelling ability with Elvenborn, co-written with Andre Norton. So I know what to expect so far as style and storytelling ability goes. I just happened to get it from the same book club that I got the David Farland book from.

In most of these cases, I wish I had gone to the local Barnes & Noble and actually handled the books before purchasing them. I would not have such a fear of reading the last two, had I not purchased them from the mail-order club.

:Shrug:

--Sean

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
I have many books that are unread in my bookshelf, for two reasons:
1) I cannot resist books. I fall in love with an author, a cover, a story, and buy many more than I ever have time to read.
2) I've inherited books that I probably never will read, but can't get rid of for sentimental reasons. And some of them I like having if I ever feel like getting to know the Decamerone or Don Quiote or other classics. But they're not there to be eye candy for sure.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I am the only person I know who has actually read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. I thought it was excellent.

Mister Mouse has read Hawking's A Brief History of Time TWICE!!!! (and has even met Hawking's son), but then he's just that sort of guy and only reads books on science and maths! Though when I met him when dinosaurs walked the Earth he used to read a lot of SF and introduced me to Heinlein and all the greats.

Status
Not open for further replies.