• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talcott Notch Literary Services

AgentGina

Registered
Reaction score
Normal 'nudge' times

On queries, it's reasonable to send a reminder about four weeks out, and you're doing yourself a service by including the original query with the nudge to save the step of having to go and find it. Faster always means easier!

With submissions, I'd suggest a minimum of six weeks, and if you submitted around holidays or during a known frantic period, like expo times, you might wait even a little longer since the event will devour nearly all the attention for a while.

If you've done a significant revision, let me know so that I can request it and change it for what I already have. That won't affect your book's place in the queue, since I read books more or less in the order I received them.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Saba Sulaiman on June 25th, got a partial request on the 1st.

I'm nervously awaiting her response.

- - - Updated - - -

I queried Ms. Panettieri on June 22, and received a request for the full today.

Congrats!!

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving Paula Munier a chance with Penance. I happened to reply to one of her tweets and she favorited it, so I took a chance and asked if she wanted either a crime drama or a zombie hero adventure. She asked me to query the crime drama. Here's hoping.

EDIT: I also took a chance and queried Gina Panittieri with The Death Doll. Again, hoping for the best.​

Last edited:

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Rachael Dugas requested the full from previous MS in January 2014. I nudged in April, June, October and December. Never heard a peep.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm giving Paula Munier a chance with Penance. I happened to reply to one of her tweets and she favorited it, so I took a chance and asked if she wanted either a crime drama or a zombie hero adventure. She asked me to query the crime drama. Here's hoping.

EDIT: I also took a chance and queried Gina Panittieri with The Death Doll. Again, hoping for the best.​

Generally, it's not a good idea to query two agents within the same agency simultaneously, even with different projects. If one agent expresses interest in one of your books, they usually want to see what else you have. Hopefully the two agents in this agency have no problem with sharing a client, but it's not the norm.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It'll be seven weeks tomorrow since Gina received my full. I'll give it another couple of weeks before I nudge. Not sure, but it might be a frantic Expo time....?

A few weeks ago, after my cat attacked me and I rewrote the ending of my novel (long story but it did involve a change in outlook on life) I sent a revised MS to Gina and she graciously accepted it. It's not supposed to affect my place in the queue.

HilarityinLife

Fighting in the query trenches
Registered
Reaction score
Just to contribute some stats here:
Queried: 3/25
Received rejection: 04/17

Let me point out that the rejection was far from just a no. It was a paragraph long. They took the time to compliment my work: "you have a fantastic writing style, very florid language with a great voice," and "with potential that your writing shows, I am sure you will have no trouble finding the right one."

In the end, they couldn't offer representation because none of the agents were taking on fantasy projects. I suppose I just missed the window because I followed their site and listing in a literary agent guide. Granted, getting more beta readers afterwards helped me strengthen my writing, so there could've been something magical missing in my MS for this agency as well and they were just pointing out the things that DID work.

But whether their email was a form rejection or not, I'm thoroughly grateful as it broke a long string of short rejections and helped me get back on my feet. I hope this doesn't make other people expect eloquent rejections too, but rather, know these agents DO care about the querying writers.

Just don't forget to be patient and respectful, writers. I'm still querying and hoping, too :)

leighpod

leighpod
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.VioletHillsProductions.com
TN's submission rules must've changed b/c I just queried w/ a partial. Got a very quick reply from Gina-- the dreaded revise and resubmit. I don't know quite what to do. Two other agents are looking at the full manuscript; I've queried several now. Many have rejected the query, several are still outstanding. No one else has done a R & R---especially on only three chapters! Gina advise me to read a book THE WORD DIET -- b/c she found my dialogue tags slowed down the pace. Neither of my editors said this. In addition, she remarked on a structural change-- but she has not read the entire manuscript. I, of course, would be very interested in rep by TN...but feel put in a dilemma here. Any suggestions?

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
TN's submission rules must've changed b/c I just queried w/ a partial. Got a very quick reply from Gina-- the dreaded revise and resubmit. I don't know quite what to do. Two other agents are looking at the full manuscript; I've queried several now. Many have rejected the query, several are still outstanding. No one else has done a R & R---especially on only three chapters! Gina advise me to read a book THE WORD DIET -- b/c she found my dialogue tags slowed down the pace. Neither of my editors said this. In addition, she remarked on a structural change-- but she has not read the entire manuscript. I, of course, would be very interested in rep by TN...but feel put in a dilemma here. Any suggestions?

By querying with a partial, do you mean the first ten pages as the submission guidelines suggest? Maybe she sees a trend which might run through the whole manuscript.

Of course, an agent's interest in a manuscript is totally subjective. If you feel her suggestions are valid, start another document and implement the changes.

Does she want a revised partial, or more in the second submission?

Good luck, either way!

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
This was my experience with TN.
Gina was my top pick for an agent. I queried, received a partial request within one month, subbed and waited three months and the intern requested an R&R. She said she loved it, but wanted to see some changes. She also requested a full with the R&R of the first three chapters. So I did the requested changes (was already in the process because I had discovered I didn't like the flow either).
A month later received an email from intern wishing me luck as she would not be following up on my MS -- she was leaving, but that Gina had it. After six months I nudged. No answer. Nine months I nudged. No answer.
I saw a thread here from Gina where she stated they'd been having email server issues and recommended phone call follow-ups for long term/no contact full requests.
At one year I called. Gina was awesome on the phone and discovered that my submission had been sitting in the dead email since the original full request. Said my MS was now at the top of the queue. Another four months went by and I emailed to check.
Got a rejection, but what stung is that it was based on the first three chapters and not the full. The notes were pertinent to only the unchanged chapters and not the new submission. I honestly don't think my full was even read. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
By then 15 months had passed. Rather than follow up I just figured it was for the best and moved on.
I still think TN would be a great agency. Perhaps my experience was just one of those things that happen sometimes.
Good luck to those subbing!

Last edited:

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Got a partial and a synopsis request from one of Rachel's assistants. I was basically awake all weekend doing nothing but making sure it was as good as it possibly could be before sending it in. Very nervous and trying to stay calm since the assistant seemed really excited about my work in the email and submissions always turn out to be a big letdown for me (currently unagented so that's for obvious reasons). Reading this thread I guess I am in for the long haul, so no good getting upset about it now.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, checking in to update that Gina got back to me shortly after I sent her a nudge based on an exchange before Christmas (the original full request was June 2015). She gave me extensive notes, and informed me that others in her agency also read passages of my novel in order to give their input.

The critique was detailed and helpful, spanning characterization and plot concerns. Gina assured me she would take another look. This was above and beyond the requirements of this agency.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I that really OK to paste in pieces of correspondence? Maybe edit the post and turn those quoted bits into paraphrasing?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
This is a very stupid derail but...third person present tense? I didn't know people actually used that outside of fanfics.

Absolutely. I really enjoyed BLACKBIRDS by Chuck Wendig, which uses this tense and has won multiple accolades. STAR WARS: AFTERMATH by the same author also uses it, and is very popular (but divisive among fans and reviewers), but I haven't read it yet.

Wendig also writes some great articles in defense of the tense, discussing why it matters to him and why he enjoys it.

I submitted my novel WB to Paula Munier at Talcott Notch, and to be honest, I found her flakey.

[...]

But then she got hung up on the POV issue—which I found weird. (FYI, stylistically, the book is third-person present-tense, free indirect.) No other agent I've been in contact with (which has been a lot) ever once mentioned this multiple-POV issue to me—none cared. The number of POV's in an MS doesn't matter, so long as there's flow to the material.

But not according to Paula Munier. That kind of mechanistic appraisal of material I found off-putting. But I consciously swallowed it. After all, I needed an agent.

Oh-boy, your 'honesty' is crossing well into unprofessional behavior. I know you are hurt from this rejection, but you write third-person-present-tense. I love that tense, but I'm well aware of how divisive it is among readers -- you only need to check out reviews for the STAR WARS: AFTERMATH novel to see how many people loathe it.

Writing in this tense is going to cause a lot of instant, personal taste rejections from readers and industry professionals alike. Expect this. It comes with the territory.

Disliking that tense is not 'mechanistic appraisal'. It's subjective, personal opinion... which is part of life as a writer. If you're taking the rejection this hard, take a step back and think about what will happen when readers start showing up with snarky, GIF-filled reviews about how disjointed and rocky your prose is.

When you get feedback you disagree with, move on. Do not take it personally.

So I sent off this very positive, good-vibey email—but then I didn't hear from her in a week. Finally, I emailed her "???", literally: Just a quick thing.

Sending an agent ??? is not professional.

I was pretty surprised, so I emailed her words to the effect that I'm practically a prostitute, I'm so commercially minded.

Holy shit, what made you think this was acceptable behavior? That's offensive on multiple levels.

The last time I ever heard from her. I answered her by asking to give me more details on how to fix this problem. Never heard from her.

She already gave you extensive, detailed feedback. What did you think you were doing here?

When an agent spends the time to give you feedback you say 'thank you' and move on, you don't go hounding them for more.

YOU ARE NOT THEIR CLIENT. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THEIR TIME OR FEEDBACK.

I think the editors I named—big names, who've shepherded big books—scared her off. Notice the line "far bigger agents than I", which she uses to justify her POV hang-up: Kinda telling, isn't it.

Also—and this I cannot emphasize enough—my failure not to actually speak to her over the phone was a big mistake. It made our relationship much more tenuous, based solely on email. Email is great in order to keep a record, but lousy in communicating the human element, and building a bond with an agent. I should have called her. Don't actually remember why I didn't.

Anyway, that was my experience with Paula Munier. Hope it helps.

Oh-boy, please, please take a step back and re-evaluate how personally you're taking the querying process.

You are not your book. Nobody is entitled to like your work. Feedback is not an insult, it's a compliment, it means the agent sees potential in you and wants to help you grow as a writer

You are coming across as a terrifying person to work with.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very stupid derail but...third person present tense? I didn't know people actually used that outside of fanfics.

I've read loads of books written in third person, present tense. You can use whatever POV you like in your books. Whether they'll be published or not depends only on how well you've written it, not on whether you've used the correct POV or not.

I that really OK to paste in pieces of correspondence? Maybe edit the post and turn those quoted bits into paraphrasing?

Did you report the post so that the room mods were alerted to your concerns? That would have been more useful than commenting in-thread.

I submitted my novel WB to Paula Munier at Talcott Notch, and to be honest, I found her flakey.

We swapped about a dozen emails—this is the first one I got from her after she'd finished the book:

[snipped]​

Pretty good, right?

Indeed. She's giving you strong feedback. You should be pleased. I see no evidence of flakiness so far.

But then she got hung up on the POV issue—which I found weird.

She told you she had a problem with the POV you'd used in your book, and then I assume told you again, and instead of recognising this as valuable feedback and acting on it you decided it was "weird".

(FYI, stylistically, the book is third-person present-tense, free indirect.) No other agent I've been in contact with (which has been a lot) ever once mentioned this multiple-POV issue to me—none cared.

Did any of them give you any feedback on your book? Did any of them tell you they loved your book, as Ms Munier did?

The number of POV's in an MS doesn't matter, so long as there's flow to the material.

That can be the case. But Ms Munier highlighted an issue that she saw with your book, and made it clear that if you wanted her to represent you you'd have to address that issue.

But not according to Paula Munier. That kind of mechanistic appraisal of material I found off-putting. But I consciously swallowed it. After all, I needed an agent.

So what I did was, I didn't even mention the multiple-POV issue and focussed instead on issue 2, the character stuff—which I agreed with her, and offered multiple solutions to the problem. You know: Trying to show her that I'd play ball, editorially speaking. the easiest way to do that is to pick your fights: Focus on the stuff you agree with—and really go to town on that stuff—while ignoring the stuff that you don't agree with. This is classic team-building stuff, and I did this successfully.

Ms Munier didn't want you to build a team with her, she wanted you to produce a book she thought she could sell. And while you might have made some of the changes she requested, if you didn't address the POV issue she highlighted then you were making it impossible for her to take your book any further.

It sounds as though you didn't even acknowledge the POV issue but if you did, was it to argue with her that the "number of POV's in an MS doesn't matter, so long as there's flow to the material"? Because if a writer did that with me, I'd assume they were going to be difficult to work with and I'd withdraw from the submission.

But I also made a mistake.

There's a saying that every agent knows they want to rep a book when, as they are reading it, they can imagine an editor who would like it and offer to buy it. So I asked Paula that key question: "Which editors do you think would respond to this material?"—and then I made a mistake: I listed some dream editors I would like to work with on this book. Big editors who straddle the line between commercial and literary.

I don't think the mistake you made was to ask her which editors she would send this book to. The mistake you made was in not addressing the advice she gave you with regard to POV.

So I sent off this very positive, good-vibey email—but then I didn't hear from her in a week. Finally, I emailed her "???", literally: Just a quick thing.

She replied:

[snipped]

That was her reply in total.

That seems like a reasonable response from her.

She told you her concerns about your use of POV. You refused to address those issues. It's clear the two of you do not share the same vision of the book, so therefore it would be impossible for her to represent you in a way you'd be happy with. Move on.

I was pretty surprised, so I emailed her words to the effect that I'm practically a prostitute, I'm so commercially minded.

To this, she replied:
[snipped]

The last time I ever heard from her. I answered her by asking to give me more details on how to fix this problem. Never heard from her.

So she told you once again that she'd love to represent your book, but as you are not willing to budge on the POV issue, and she doesn't think she can sell it as it is, there is no point trying.

Why should she respond to you again? She's already told you why she can't represent you, and she's told you that more than once. At this point, you're wasting her time.

I think the editors I named—big names, who've shepherded big books—scared her off. Notice the line "far bigger agents than I", which she uses to justify her POV hang-up: Kinda telling, isn't it.

She doesn't have a "POV hang-up". She's being perfectly professional.

It wasn't your suggestion of big-name editors which scared her off. It was your unwillingness to work on the POV issues she sees in your book. A writer who objects to editorial advice is impossible to work with: if the writer is objecting to tightening up his POV issues before he's even offered representation, before he has a deal on the table, then he's going to be a nightmare to get through the process of structural editing.

Also—and this I cannot emphasize enough—my failure not to actually speak to her over the phone was a big mistake. It made our relationship much more tenuous, based solely on email. Email is great in order to keep a record, but lousy in communicating the human element, and building a bond with an agent. I should have called her. Don't actually remember why I didn't.

Please don't phone agents unless you're invited to.

Not speaking to her was not a mistake. What lost you the interest of this agent was your own behaviour, not the lack of bonding between you.

Anyway, that was my experience with Paula Munier. Hope it helps.

At the start of this comment you said you considered Ms Munier "flakey".

I see no evidence of flake here. Not from her.

You made several mistakes in your communications with her, when all she did was tell you how good she thought your book was, and what she thought you should improve on it before she could offer you representation.

I know it's hard, this writing lark. I know it's depressing, getting rejections left, right and centre; I know it's difficult when you're told the book you thought was perfect needs a lot of work doing to it to get it up to publishable standard. I know all that. But instead of getting offended and trying to blame people and calling them names, just move on.

Last edited:

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I agree with the Emaree and Old Hack on a number of levels. I also agree that quoting her directly and, also, questioning her knowledge won't endear you to other agents - and believe me it's a small network and your name will be easily attributed to your post. If I were you, I'd get in and hit some deletes, and thank the lord that AW is one of the forums were you can do that...

Bottom line - it's up to the agent to sell the book, not you. It's up to them to decide which editors they feel will take the book and which direction they think they can best take you. If you don't want an agent calling those shots, you might be better going it alone, where you have your own artistic direction.

to my mind, she's given some useful advice to mull on. It's up to you if you take it. But having chosen not to, a quick email in would have been plenty. As it is, I suspect you came across as someone who was going to be hard work - and as a debut author, you're at the bottom of the agent's income ladder and not someone she will have the luxury of spending a lot of time on.

So, yeah - I think it was your approach that caused most of the problems here, especially if it looked like you wanted to call the shots in terms of submission approaches. That, and not wanting to make the changes she felt was needed.

(I think the pov thing depends on the genre - I have more than 6 povs in one of mine, and it wasn't a barrier - if I had been asked to reduce them, I would have, though. A bit of rejigging and some playing around and it would have been there. And, obviously, GOT has lots. But I write space opera, so large casts are kind of an accepted part of the genre.)

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Old Hack
A questioning (non-lecturing comment, possibly implied recommendation comment), from a member to another member in a public community has no place there because member B should have instead "alerted the authorities?" or held his peace?

On one hand that a bit police-statey, on the other hand I'm certain glad I'm not a mod*, I think the responsibility would take over my life and grind me down. So thanks for being there:D

__
*I am a bit of a mod in the early 1960's Britrock sense; The Kinks, The Trogs, The Who...

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Old Hack
A questioning (non-lecturing comment, possibly implied recommendation comment), from a member to another member in a public community has no place there because member B should have instead "alerted the authorities?" or held his peace?

On one hand that a bit police-statey, on the other hand I'm certain glad I'm not a mod*, I think the responsibility would take over my life and grind me down. So thanks for being there:D

__
*I am a bit of a mod in the early 1960's Britrock sense; The Kinks, The Trogs, The Who...

OH said it would have been more useful to report the post, not that your comment had no place.... Post reports are really a great tool for us ground-down mods. :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
@Oh-boy The feedback is clear enough. If you want to sell this book fix the POV - end of!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Author: Here's a novel I'd like you to represent.

Agent: I love your novel and will represent it if you make the following changes....

Author: Nope!

Agent: Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Oh-boy

Registered
Reaction score
Author: Here's a novel I'd like you to represent.

Agent: I love your novel and will represent it if you make the following changes....

Author: Nope!

Agent: Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Actually, no.

It was more like this:

Agent: I love your novel and want to represent it. You should make Changes I and Changes II.

Author: You're right about Changes II, absolutely! I have several ideas about Changes II, what do you think? By the way, which editors will you submit to? These are my dream editors.

Agent: . . .

Author: Hello?

Agent: You won't do Changes I, so I won't rep you.

Author: I'd love for you to rep me, what specifically do you want me to do regarding Changes I?

Author: Hello?

Author: He-lo-ooo?

Author: Gee, this agent is flaky.

Edit: Since the post where I explained who I found flaky was removed because it quoted correspondence (and btw, never heard quoting correspondence to be a reason to delete a post, but whatevs), I have to say that this is all about Paula Munier at Talcott Notch, and agent whom I found flaky for the reasons mentioned above.

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
A rejection is a rejection. Go have some chocolate and forget it.

edit: ^that sounds blunt, but it's sincere advice.

When I'm talking with someone and they ignore something I just said in order to talk about the other thing, it's a sign of how much they care about the two things. And when the two things are equally important, it's a sign that we're not meeting mind-to-mind here and probably won't. There's no point in trying to meet after that; it'd be a waste of time.

Last edited:

nubivagant

Registered
Reaction score
This agency sent me my first personalized, helpful rejection so far throughout my querying process! About a week ago I sent a query with sample pages to Gina, and yesterday received a reply from her assistant, Ali. She gave me two very nice comments and one critical comment explaining why she was rejecting it. After many rejections prior to this, I was so thrilled to finally hear a reason!